2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Both college and high school football are full of both so I guess we should only watch Pop Warner football?

Pop Warner football can have cheating too... I guess we shouldn't watch any football, or sport, for that matter!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
They really haven't gotten away with that much. A lot of it is blown way out of proportion.

Falcons admitted that they pumped in fake noise at home games, probably a bigger deal then anything Tom Brady ever did with Footballs. No one cares about the Falcons because they aren't the good team everyone wants to hate.

Yeah but that's the point: if the cheating is helping you win, you're winning because you're cheating. If the Falcons had won a lot and it was attributable to fan noise (which is far less important than, you know, STEALING PLAYBOOKS), I think it would be just as much of a PR storm.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
But at the same time, if everyone else is cheating, all you're doing is playing at a disadvantage if you don't try some tricks of your own.

Exactly. At least with steroids, if everyone can do it, you're on an even playing field. Letting franchises go wild with ways to skirt the rules doesn't make an equal playing field. Now it's about how much people want to get away with before getting caught.

Oh wait, like college football! Big programs cheat non stop. Because they cheat they win. Because they win they're popular. Because they're popular they get big TV ratings. Because they get big TV ratings, they're rarely caught. And when they are caught, it's usually a minimal slap on the wrist for fear that TV ratings will drop.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Atlanta has won a lot.

Their last conference title was in the late 90's. Going to the playoffs isn't winning, not to the extent that you become a hated team that gets viewers/readers no matter what happens to them, good or bad. That's where the Patriots are now. Everyone either loves or hates them. Either way, you watch and root for something to happen to them. Everyone has an opinion. That's why these stories remain stories.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
This is obviously just me but I just don't give a crap about cheating in sports. Whether it's steroids or deflated footballs or whatever, if you can get away with it then good for you.

Ethics at it's best. No internal compass.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
NFL says New England had "nothing to do" with HeadsetGate/RadioGate/CommunicateGate and it was all due to the weather and an unforeseen electrical issue.

Considering we've been hearing about this issue for a decade+ now maybe it's time for them to hire a competent electrician.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Yeah but that's the point: if the cheating is helping you win, you're winning because you're cheating. If the Falcons had won a lot and it was attributable to fan noise (which is far less important than, you know, STEALING PLAYBOOKS), I think it would be just as much of a PR storm.

The bold is completely wrong. First, we don't know that the footballs helped the Patriots win. Second, the Patriots are winning because they have Brady and Gronkowski, not cheating.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Exactly. At least with steroids, if everyone can do it, you're on an even playing field. Letting franchises go wild with ways to skirt the rules doesn't make an equal playing field. Now it's about how much people want to get away with before getting caught.

Oh wait, like college football! Big programs cheat non stop. Because they cheat they win. Because they win they're popular. Because they're popular they get big TV ratings. Because they get big TV ratings, they're rarely caught. And when they are caught, it's usually a minimal slap on the wrist for fear that TV ratings will drop.

Every team in the NFL cheats. Just ask JJ Watt. Every offensive player that lines up against Watt holds him. Period.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
The bold is completely wrong. First, we don't know that the footballs helped the Patriots win. Second, the Patriots are winning because they have Brady and Gronkowski, not cheating.

Every team in the NFL cheats. Just ask JJ Watt. Every offensive player that lines up against Watt holds him. Period.

Judging by continued accusations and previous episodes, I don't think the deflating football issue is their only cheating.

Cheating on the field is one thing, it's up to the refs to enforce it. Cheating off the field to gain an advantage is another. The courts won't allow the league to enforce a collectively bargained process.