2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
Chris Emma ‏@CEmma670 4m4 minutes ago

The Bears cut their losses in the Jared Allen linebacker experiment, ate the $11.5 million paid, for a sixth-round pick. Any asset can help.

Hopefully Pace can draft. The more draft picks, the better.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad Allen gets to go play for a contender. He might have sucked for us, but he was at least a good dude. I'll root for him on the Panthers and I hope it turns into a solid pick for us. I also like the fact that it allows us to give more snaps to younger players. I really want to see Houston step up. He was really good in this system for the Raiders and is still young to where he could turn into a core player if he can get back to the Raider days of 2 years ago (not that long ago, given his age). I hope Houston steps up, along with Shea / Jones and if that happens, that at least gives you 3 serviceable players, along with McPhee from the LB perspective (albeit, you still need to find that "special" player for that core, which to me is a critical part of any successful 3-4 defense.

On the secondary, who the hell knows, at least Amos hasn't looked like crap already. We'll have to hope they can get Fuller turned around and make this a solid rebuilding year. Curious how long Sutton will be out for, but at least we have a couple bodies who might be decent on the line. Time will tell, but if you can get those guys to pan out as decent, then you hope with some higher picks (and smart free agency moves) you can add an impact player and hopefully another few starters. That said, it is going to take more then a year of good drafting to get their, however, hopefully next year we get a 2nd impact player in Kevin White (consider it an extra 1st round pick).

I don't think we'll even recognize this team 2 years from now, which by and large, is the earlier I expect them to be competitive, although part of that depends on what they do with Jay. If you keep Jay, I think you can be competitive sooner (solid vet QB), but if you dump Jay, then you add QB to the list and it takes time for QB to develop, so at that point, I think 2 years is earliest and even then we are probably talking pipe dream and you are looking for progress 2 years from now, with playoff potential 3 years from now, and ideally you are playoffs or bust 4 years from now. Yes, that is depressing to think that, but probably the reality.

However, if you focus more on the D and Oline (and keep Jay), you can probably win a heck of a lot sooner and then patiently target a QB over the coming years who you will add and ideally build around longer term. Use Jay as a bridge to the next level while remaining competitive. Not sure if that will work or not, but the offense has enough weapons where it can be a winner (presuming you invest in the line) and then you can focus most of your high picks on the defense, which should help bring them back to respectability much faster.

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@diannaESPN 15m15 minutes ago

I'm told Jared Allen is 1st of a few trades Bears will make, they're looking to unload players that don't fit their scheme from prior regime

More trades to come? Please. Get as many draft picks no matter what round as you can.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
Dianna Marie Russini ‏@diannaESPN 15m15 minutes ago

I'm told Jared Allen is 1st of a few trades Bears will make, they're looking to unload players that don't fit their scheme from prior regime

More trades to come? Please. Get as many draft picks no matter what round as you can.

Why weren't these trades just made in the offseason?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Why weren't these trades just made in the offseason?

Presume at that point in time Bears don't know exactly who they are and I'm guessing other teams might be happy with existing team and not ready to give up picks? I presume Willie Young is next (no idea if we can get anything for him or not). I wonder if we held him out for those reasons (we know he isn't a scheme fit and their are a few 4-3 suitors who are happy that he's at least shown he's healthy). I'm not expecting much, but a 6th or 7th rounder is better then nothing (if you can get it). I wonder who else will be dealt? Can't imagine anyone on the offensive side outside of Forte (unless we give up on someone like Bushrod who we don't see being a long-term fit). On the defensive side, more of those pieces.

I would imagine Ratliff has some value, but first we need to show he's healthy. In fact, I'd think he's one of the guys we'd be best behooved to move (as I can't imagine him being that helpful when we are good). That said, Fox singled him out in the off-season as a building block so maybe they think his skill-set will hold up well to age.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
He's totally gonna be a good player for Belichick

Good riddance. He was a bust. People complained when I blasted him as a rookie (too premature) but he never made any impact plays out of that big hit he had in the pre-season of his rookie year (where he got fined). He might end up playing elsewhere but he had shown zero football instincts and could never stay on the field due to injuries. Do we even get a pick for him or is this a conditional thing that we'll never end up getting?

Good riddance. He was a bust. People complained when I blasted him as a rookie (too premature) but he never made any impact plays out of that big hit he had in the pre-season of his rookie year (where he got fined). He might end up playing elsewhere but he had shown zero football instincts and could never stay on the field due to injuries. Do we even get a pick for him or is this a conditional thing that we'll never end up getting?

It's a 6th for Bostic according to Biggs.