Home Run Contest?

Condor13

Opening day is just around the corner and I wanted to propose this now and not wait until the beginning of the season. I would like to start a home run contest on this site. Since I am new to the Soxtalk community, I am not sure if I can set this up here or if there is enough interest/ participation to have a fun and competitive contest. I saw that there is a PTC contest on this board, however this would be strictly a home run contest. I currently do not have anything that I can offer as a prize/prizes, if someone does then that would be great. I think this contest can be fun and entertaining with or without a prize though. Please comment and let me know what you all think of the idea.

I am still working out some of the details but the contest will work as follows:

This is a simple contest that runs throughout the season. The goal of the game is to pick one player on the Sox that you think will hit a home run during each game. You do not need to make a pick each game and you can join in whenever you want. The season will be divided into two halves (depending on the number of participants) and the top 12 members from each half (depending on the number of participants) will enter a three round playoffs. Each player will have a point total assigned to them.

Eaton 8

Cabrera 3

Abreu 1

LaRoche 1

Avi 3

Ramirez 3

Gillespie 5

Flowers 5

Johnson 8

Bench 10 (Just an example)

Each home run during the game gets you bonus points:

First HR +1 point

2nd HR +2 points

3rd HR +5 points

Grand Slam +4 points

Walk-off HR +5 points

Steak of 3 games in a row +1

Streak of 4 games in a row +2

And so on.....

For example, if you pick Avi and he hit a HR you will get 4 points. If he hits 2 HRs you will get 9 points (4+5).

CONTEST RULES

*Pick a player on the Sox's starting lineup that you think will hit a home run at ANY TIME during each game.

*You can only pick the same player 2 times during each week (Monday-Sunday)

*If you pick a correct player you will earn the corresponding points.

*You can only pick one player and you must have your pick in before the the first pitch (I will post the time along with the lineup)

*If you are going away, you can PM your picks for the upcoming games (*Max 5 games)

*Streaks will win you bonus points (bonus points above). Streaks must be in consecutive games, if you miss a game your streak is over

*Player points will be doubled on Saturdays.

*The season will be divided into two sets at June 3rd, 2015, and playoff information is posted below.

PLAYOFFS (May change due to number of participants)

Season divided into 2 sets

First Half: April 6th-June 10th. (61 games)

Second Half: June 12th - August 9th (55 games)

- Top 12 members from each half clinch a spot in the playoffs

- The two members with the most OVERALL points will receive a bye to the 2nd playoff round.

- Playoff ties go to the member with the most overall points during the season.

- It is important for those who make playoffs in the first half to increase overall points during the second half.

Playoff Rounds

Round 1: August 11th-August 23rd (11 games) (Top members from each half (22 members), not including the 2 byes)

Round 2: August 25th-September 6th (12 games) (Top 14 members from round 1, +2 byes)

Round 3: September 7th-September 23rd (16 games) (Top 10 members from round 2)

Edited by Condor13

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Interesting idea, but wouldn't people who just spam Abreu/LaRoche rather than vary their picks get more points? There should be some sort of "Abreu twice per week" limit.

CONTEST RULES

*Pick a player on the Sox's starting lineup that you think will hit a home run at ANY TIME during each game.

*You can only pick the same player 2 times during each week (Monday-Sunday)

*If you pick a correct player you will earn the corresponding points.

*You can only pick one player and you must have your pick in before the the first pitch (I will post the time along with the lineup)

*If you are going away, you can PM your picks for the upcoming games (*Max 5 games)

*Streaks will win you bonus points (bonus points above). Streaks must be in consecutive games, if you miss a game your streak is over

*Player points will be doubled on Saturdays.

*The season will be divided into two sets at June 3rd, 2015, and playoff information is posted below.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Condor, are you ready for a lot of work? lol

I think I am, that's why I am trying to see how many people will play. I would like to get at least a rough roster made up of the people that will play.

If anyone is thinking of playing could you please respond to this thread so that I can start putting together a roster of those that are going to play. This will make it a little easier for me, I can go ahead and get a spreadsheet made up.

Sounds fun, I'd play.

I have played in another message board contest like this (not for baseball, but for CBB) and it fizzled out when the guy running it got tired of tabulating scores after each game (and we're talking 30-35 games, not 162). I am in if the Condor is committed to keeping up with it, but for your sake I hope you have a fairly detailed and automated spreadsheet that does the lionshare of the work..otherwise this could become more of a fruitless job than a fun little hobby.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Sounds fun, I'd play.

I have played in another message board contest like this (not for baseball, but for CBB) and it fizzled out when the guy running it got tired of tabulating scores after each game (and we're talking 30-35 games, not 162). I am in if the Condor is committed to keeping up with it, but for your sake I hope you have a fairly detailed and automated spreadsheet that does the lionshare of the work..otherwise this could become more of a fruitless job than a fun little hobby.

I am definitely up for the challegene. We just need the players that are committed to playing the game

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Interesting idea, but wouldn't people who just spam Abreu/LaRoche rather than vary their picks get more points? There should be some sort of "Abreu twice per week" limit.

But you only get 1 point for an Abreu homer.

If you pick Avi, you get 3 points.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
this sounds like a fun idea, i would be interested in playing, i may not be able to make a pick everyday though.

The points are cumulative, however there are not that many HRs hit every game so you should not be at much of a disadvantage. You can also PM your pick the night before for up to 5 games, or you can just post when you can.

Edited by Condor13

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
I am definitely up for the challegene. We just need the players that are committed to playing the game

I always think I am committed to playing pick to click but I end up not playing it :P Take a look at those PTC threads you'll probably get a good idea how many people actually play consistently. And the prize would certainly be more motivating even if its just a bobblehead or 2 . Maybe something current picked up during game promotions.