Tim Kurkjian

The Critic

Kurkjian talked about the Sox on Baseball Tonight, and just HAD to find a slap at them, so he says this:

"They're hitting the ball now, and they have solid 1-3 pitchers - now if they can just CATCH the ball they'll be all right."

Tim doesn't read the statistics on his own employer's website. If he DID, he'd see that the THIRD BEST FIELDING PERCENTAGE in the American League belongs TO............the Chicago White Sox!

They're catching the ball OK, Timmy.... :bang

Kurkjian talked about the Sox on Baseball Tonight, and just HAD to find a slap at them, so he says this:

"They're hitting the ball now, and they have solid 1-3 pitchers - now if they can just CATCH the ball they'll be all right."

Tim doesn't read the statistics on his own employer's website. If he DID, he'd see that the THIRD BEST FIELDING PERCENTAGE in the American League belongs TO............the Chicago White Sox!

Someone ought to e-mail him and let him know how much of an idiot he is.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

Won't do any good. He already knows it.

Now if someone would email ESPN and notify them of it.... :D

CWSOX45

Won't do any good. He already knows it.

Now if someone would email ESPN and notify them of it.... :D

:bang

CWSOX45

It'll be awhile before the Sox can shake off the reputation of being a poor fielding team. That's what happens when you're bad for so long, I guess.

An average LF, a weak CF and a supar 1B, along with a SS with a rep for not being great defensively doesn't help......

Yeah but if they saw how the avergae LF has improved his fielding out of sight this year, the weak CF has actually made some nice grabs, and how the SS has made only sumthin like 5 errors and isn't a liablility out there, maybe those idiots at "We Luv the East Coast" ESPN could find something positive to talk about this ballclub.

He is always criticizing our team, he said in the AS break that we were out of the race that KC and Min would fight to the end. He continues to choose every other pitcher to be the Cy Young, minus E-Lo. He is a filho da puta!

I decided to go position-by-position to see where the Sox players stacked up defensively this year, and here's what I found on espn.com:

1B - Konerko - .998 percentage - 1st in the AL

2B - Alomar - not enough GP to qualify in AL, pctg. is .985 with Sox

SS - Valentin - .975 - tied with Tejada for 4th in AL, AHEAD of Nomar and Jeter

3B - Crede - .959 - 4th in AL - I was a bit surprised by the percentage, since Joe is usually labelled as the "only good infielder the Sox have"

LF - Lee - .978 - 7th in AL

CF - Everett - .990 - not in top 8 in AL

RF - Ordonez - .993 - tied for 1st in AL with Suzuki of Seattle

C - Olivo - .988 - tied for 7th in AL

P - Buerhle and Garand tied with many others at 1.000

Overall, not bad numbers for the most part. I knew just from watching the games that the Sox were NOT playing bad defense this year - I have found myself FAR more frustrated by the lack of timely hitting than by defensive blunders. That's why this season had been so frustrating for so long - they were NOT doing what they were expected to do ( hit ), and doing what they were NOT expected to do ( catch the ball ).

An old woman in a wheelchair playing center field may have ZERO errors for the season. Some of the examples given commit more errors because they are getting to balls that fall a couple feet away from our guys. Defense can't be measured just by errors. How many balls have we seen this season fall just out of reach? We are big and slow for the most part, great for home run trots, bad for Web Gems.

Yeah but if they saw how the avergae LF has improved his fielding out of sight this year, the weak CF has actually made some nice grabs, and how the SS has made only sumthin like 5 errors and isn't a liablility out there, maybe those idiots at "We Luv the East Coast" ESPN could find something positive to talk about this ballclub.

They're hitting the ball now, and they have solid 1-3 pitchers

Sounds like a positive comment to me........ You guys think the Sox should be above criticism and think the whole world is against you. Relax, there is no conspiracy here.... The Sox get the coverage they deserve nationally.

Relax, there is no conspiracy here....  The Sox get the coverage they deserve nationally.

I don't think by ANY means that the Sox are above criticism.

I just think that so-called experts should at least research their opinions before spouting off.

It is a REPUTATION that the sox are a bad defensive team, but that is not NEARLY the case this year as it has been in the past.

And I have seen as many great catches against the wall and down the foul lines as I have seen balls drop JUST out of reach. Does Torii Hunter catch EVERY ball that gets hit to his gaps? Doubt it. Not comparing our outfielders to Hunter by any stretch, but I am saying that the Sox defense has made a marked improvement this year and that should at least be noted by people like Kurkjian, and not dismissed in some throwaway line that just reinforces a previous line of thinking.

You cant blame the national guys for saying stupid remarks. They dont watch every game of every team like we watch the Sox. They say what they see every so often, and in the past.

Plus they are making observations/comments every day, five times a day...

Generalities should be expected.... And when they are wrong, no, that does not make them stupid......

We have 2 potential gold glovers in our team: PK on first and Maggs on RF.

I want some of the stuff you are smoking! LOL

We have 2 potential gold glovers in our team: PK on first and Maggs on RF.

Maggs is a great hitter and a good fielder but gold glove caliber, come on. Is arm is average for a right fielder, he doesn't have great range, and he doesn't make the highlight real catches needed to win a gold glove. Konerko may have a good fielding percentage but in his case that doesn't tell the whole story. I can remember at least 4 plays, just in two Jon Garland starts that Konerko botched that weren't ruled errors. He really is overrated defensively.

Plus they are making observations/comments every day, five times a day...

Generalities should be expected.... And when they are wrong, no, that does not make them stupid......

I want some of the stuff you are smoking! LOL

For you the players that are Gold Glvers are the ones that make the highlights reels???

I prefer to watch the players numbers...

For you the players that are Gold Glvers are the ones that make the highlights reels???

I prefer to watch the players numbers...

Numbers when it come to fielding our misleading. Having a high fielding percentage doesn't make you a great defensive player. You have to look at a players range and in the case of an outfielder the strength of their arm. Magglio has good, not great range, and an average arm for a right fielder.

It'll be awhile before the Sox can shake off the reputation of being a poor fielding team. That's what happens when you're bad for so long, I guess.

No excuses for Timmy. If your gonna go out and say something on National T.V you need to back it up. It's obviious the Moron didn't.. So much for the so called Experts.. :bang

Kurkjian ESPN

:dips*** :stupid

At least they (da bullpen) got the job done today against Cleveland. Schoewenweis picked up the win by getting 2 outs and hopefully he continues to settle in and improve. Marte (damn this guy is good, best lefty setup man in the league?(maybe Rhodes)) and Flash Gordon r pretty much automatic in the 8th and 9th, so our bullpen has got to do the job until then. Where has Wunsch been lately anyways?