White Sox cuts, round 2

Whisox05

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
I can't remember either, but I do remember it being hilarious.

Looked it up, it was a solo shot in the 3rd inning of a scoreless game which the Sox won 2-1. Belisario with the no-sweat save, as usual.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340604119

Ha ha, I remember that. IIRC, it was a rather low pitch that he had to go down and get.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
It was bound to happen sooner or later, but damn if it ain't a little disappointing. Really enjoyed watching him this spring.

Zero is a very low number. If Melky breaks his leg tonight, there is some chance hawkins makes the opening day roster.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
Zero is a very low number. If Melky breaks his leg tonight, there is some chance hawkins makes the opening day roster.

There's no amount of injuries that would put Hawkins in KC on opening day. They'd trade for Jordan Danks and Dayan Viciedo before Hawkins made the opening day roster.

Engel Beltre is still in camp and has a small amount of major league experience. He'd make it in an emergency.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
There's no amount of injuries that would put Hawkins in KC on opening day. They'd trade for Jordan Danks and Dayan Viciedo before Hawkins made the opening day roster.

Engel Beltre is still in camp and has a small amount of major league experience. He'd make it in an emergency.

Shows how thin the Sox still are.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)

OFs who'd be called up before Hawkins in that case:

Thompson

Mitchell

Beltre

possibly Marrero or Coats

Then maybe Hawkins if he was crushing AA, but even then they'd probably go get someone first.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
Shows how thin the Sox still are.

This makes no sense to me.

"One of our high level prospects had a great spring but he's too far away for a callup and there are several better options who would get called up first"

"That just shows you how thin this team is"

"What about the 'several other options wasn't clear?'"

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
if Hawkins is crushing AA, i really think the sox will keep him there and move him up to AAA in late July.

That isn't unreasonable and it would imply a huge improvement on the part of Hawkins over last year's work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
This makes no sense to me.

"One of our high level prospects had a great spring but he's too far away for a callup and there are several better options who would get called up first"

"That just shows you how thin this team is"

"What about the 'several other options wasn't clear?'"

This. The Sox are really not thin on OF depth.

A lot of overhype here about Hawkins.

If he tears up AA and AAA then he'll be in for a September call up.

Trayce Thompson also had a good spring and i'd expect to see him before Hawkins.

They also seem keen on Beltre as well.

If the injuries get really bad and we don't explore waivers or trades, then you may see Hawkins but reality is that he's still got time to prove himself and time to get ready for the majors in AA and AAA and it may hurt him more to call him up before he is ready like we did with Beckham.

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
A lot of overhype here about Hawkins.

If he tears up AA and AAA then he'll be in for a September call up.

Trayce Thompson also had a good spring and i'd expect to see him before Hawkins.

They also seem keen on Beltre as well.

If the injuries get really bad and we don't explore waivers or trades, then you may see Hawkins but reality is that he's still got time to prove himself and time to get ready for the majors in AA and AAA and it may hurt him more to call him up before he is ready like we did with Beckham.

Agree. If Thompson is doing decent and there is an injury, he will be up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
How many teams have better OF depth than Bonifacio and Shuck?

another question with a different look, how many teams, up to this spring, have a stock farm or minor league. a surplus where they can support the major team.

Bonifacio is more of an all position super sub.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Agree. If Thompson is doing decent and there is an injury, he will be up.

for the role of backup, i am very surprise at his performance this spring. whereas, i had little faith in a viable outfield backup, now, i have faith that the sox may have a nice backup.