Rodon comped to "a young Carlton"

southsider2k5

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 8m8 minutes ago

Carlos Rodon's 19 strikeouts are tied with M's Taijuan Walker, A's Drew Pomeranz for Cactus League lead.

Taijuan Walker has looked excellent this spring. If the White Sox didn't fancy themselves contenders, he'd be in the rotation getting experience.

I had to laugh yesterday while watching he Royals and Sox game on MLBnetwork. The Royals announcers were downplaying the fact that Rodon had k'd 9 of 12 in four innings and said they were probably just wanting to get a look at Rodon's stuff to prepare for the regular season when they faced him and weren't really interested in swinging. It's just a spring training game after all

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
Taijuan Walker has looked excellent this spring. If the White Sox didn't fancy themselves contenders, he'd be in the rotation getting experience.

Except, in order to be contenders, they probably need him in the rotation.

Dichotomy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
Next three years of Sale-Q-Rodon, with the possible addition of Shark is going to make things so much easier to work with for this front office. Very good spot to be in.

and with Adam's coming in somewhere in the 3 yr.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:04 AM)
I had to laugh yesterday while watching he Royals and Sox game on MLBnetwork. The Royals announcers were downplaying the fact that Rodon had k'd 9 of 12 in four innings and said they were probably just wanting to get a look at Rodon's stuff to prepare for the regular season when they faced him and weren't really interested in swinging. It's just a spring training game after all

really, what a bunch of freaking idiot.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)

They fancy themselves contenders and he's likely to be in the rotation by June, if not sooner. And if he isn't, that likely means that both Danks and Noesi are pitching well, which would be a miracle.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Except, in order to be contenders, they probably need him in the rotation.

Dichotomy.

It's risky for a contender to put a completely unknown entity in the rotation. I'll be surprised if we don't see him starting by the middle of the summer, assuming he petforms in AAA and Dank's/Noesi aren't acting like aces.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
It's risky for a contender to put a completely unknown entity in the rotation. I'll be surprised if we don't see him starting by the middle of the summer, assuming he petforms in AAA and Dank's/Noesi aren't acting like aces.

It's risky for a contender to have John Danks and Hector Noesi in the rotation. Rodon still has things to work on but there's no doubt in my mind that he's already our 4th best starter.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
It's risky for a contender to have John Danks and Hector Noesi in the rotation. Rodon still has things to work on but there's no doubt in my mind that he's already our 4th best starter.

in so with all due respect yes, very much so. but Danks contract, imo was deserved and then got hurt. if the sox had replacement in the wings, then let the owners release him and eat the money, then bring him in the org somehow.

Hector, i would like to see how he does, he deserve this yr, the way he rebounded and perform last yr.

this club is a playoff contender but the team doesn't have those extra players to plug in.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
and with the other prospect coming up, its going to even get better.

Yep. You mentioned Spencer Adams earlier in this thread. If he reaches his ceiling then, wow. Then there's guys like Montas and Danish, who may or may not be starters at the ML level.

With a rotation of Sale, Rodon, Quintana, and Samardzija, all you need is for your fifth guy to not be terrible. But if our fifth guy is someone like Adams, then, yeesh... that's scary good.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Yep. You mentioned Spencer Adams earlier in this thread. If he reaches his ceiling then, wow. Then there's guys like Montas and Danish, who may or may not be starters at the ML level.

With a rotation of Sale, Rodon, Quintana, and Samardzija, all you need is for your fifth guy to not be terrible. But if our fifth guy is someone like Adams, then, yeesh... that's scary good.

yes all #1 type pitchers. let alone what will happen in this yrs draft....

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
its like 10 years premature to compare sale to carlton, let alone rodon

i won't answer for anyone, but to day is my day off, and i am extremely happy drinking my sox kool aid and later getting ready for a nice party with some excellent macallan scotch and cigars..... chase with some more sox kool aid.

Robin Ventura likes what sees from Carlos Rodon's change but wants him to be finished product, not rely on just slider. Thinks it's close.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/581515383359721473

Ventura with good detailed answer on Rodon and breaking camp. Nothing decided but want him armed with more than 1 or 2 pitches.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/581515477697970176

RV on Rodon: 'you don't want to be a flash in the pan and have to go down & work on stuff. He has to be a complete product when he comes up'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/581515772805169154

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Robin Ventura likes what sees from Carlos Rodon's change but wants him to be finished product, not rely on just slider. Thinks it's close.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/581515383359721473

Ventura with good detailed answer on Rodon and breaking camp. Nothing decided but want him armed with more than 1 or 2 pitches.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/581515477697970176

RV on Rodon: 'you don't want to be a flash in the pan and have to go down & work on stuff. He has to be a complete product when he comes up'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/581515772805169154

so it is there, he will not break camp and head north. he will work on his other pitches.