Final 25 man roster will be announced Th 4/2

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
http://www.azsnakepit.com/2015/4/2/8329411...son-report-card

Peter O'Brien, Inciarte and Peralta could be interesting options for the Sox down the line, when/if they become available.

This is pretty much a blueprint for what NOT to do when rebuilding (see Hahn, last offseason)....with significant question marks surrounding their pitching staff, outfield, catching situation (worst in majors, likely) and how/when/if/where Yasmani Tomas and Yoan Lopez (broke the bank in international signing period) will make a significant impact on the major league team.

i know, i been scouring the Az minor league roster. there are some interesting prospects. you mention o'brien, nah, but the player around him on the milb list is of better interest. i was looking at a 3b/mi and catcher. now if one of their OF is avail around the 19-21 yr one i saw, looks nice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
Delayed yet again or what?

They hacked everyone but Surkamp and Drabek after the game tonight, and Onelki Garcia and Maikel Cleto were dropped from the 40-man to make room for Soto, Johnson, and Albers.

Expect Sanchez and Drabek to be on the team for 5-6 days, and be replaced by Sale and Petricka next Sunday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
I hope they see something that is correctible, because he seems pretty worthless.

And speaking of worthless, thank God for Worth, IL. Without it the entire state would be worthless.

Sadly, though, anyone else we could run out as the last reliever is worthless (Surkamp, Webb, Cleto, etc.). We have an incredibly thin bullpen, and we need to pray Crain somehow gets healthy and that Jones can return for the playoff run.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
I hope they see something that is correctible, because he seems pretty worthless.

And speaking of worthless, thank God for Worth, IL. Without it the entire state would be worthless.

that was as worthless of a comment that was needed. :notworthy

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Sadly, though, anyone else we could run out as the last reliever is worthless (Surkamp, Webb, Cleto, etc.). We have an incredibly thin bullpen, and we need to pray Crain somehow gets healthy and that Jones can return for the playoff run.

i think our bull pen will be ok. they are young, but i think they have the makings of developing into something useful. the problem is they are being put right into the firing line. b/c the team does not have quality core to start with. these should, imo have had another yr of grooming last yr. but oh well, i stop here. they just need to learn on the fly, and in the fire.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

I agree that the pen is thin enough that it will likely need periodic boosts throughout the season. I don't see a role for Surkamp or Cleto, but I still have hope that Webb can find it in Charlotte and contribute this season. And in addition to potential boosts from Crain and/or Jones, here's hoping that a Sanburn, Ynoa, Montas, or some other power arm in the system can be a second half surprise. Drabek's stint will likely amount to a brief audition unless Coop & Co. really see something - it may end with Petricka's return.

Of course, there was a lot of transition in the 2005 pen, with Cotts and Politte being the main full-season foundation. With a little luck, it can work out nicely this year too.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 08:43 PM)
I agree that the pen is thin enough that it will likely need periodic boosts throughout the season. I don't see a role for Surkamp or Cleto, but I still have hope that Webb can find it in Charlotte and contribute this season. And in addition to potential boosts from Crain and/or Jones, here's hoping that a Sanburn, Ynoa, Montas, or some other power arm in the system can be a second half surprise. Drabek's stint will likely amount to a brief audition unless Coop & Co. really see something - it may end with Petricka's return.

Of course, there was a lot of transition in the 2005 pen, with Cotts and Politte being the main full-season foundation. With a little luck, it can work out nicely this year too.

i know i am being overly positive here, but this group can get over the hump this yr, and in decent shape, with the playoff and such. next yr and the yr after, that pen is going to look tough. i really have high hopes.

i really love the 2005 comparison.

Onelki Garcia had a good spring and was a late cut. May see him up. They obviously think Drabek has potential. I agree that they'll probably go through several arms.

I will say I don't see the point of calling a player worthless, and then objecting to the criticism of, oh, say Danks' pitching.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Onelki Garcia had a good spring and was a late cut. May see him up. They obviously think Drabek has potential. I agree that they'll probably go through several arms.

I will say I don't see the point of calling a player worthless, and then objecting to the criticism of, oh, say Danks' pitching.

Danks had a positve WAR last year and about 20 quality starts, and gave the Sox nearly 200 innings. That is not worthless. Drabek has been worthless, was let go for nothing, and thus far, hasn't shown anything on the major league level to show he can contribute to winning.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Danks had a positve WAR last year and about 20 quality starts, and gave the Sox nearly 200 innings. That is not worthless. Drabek has been worthless, was let go for nothing, and thus far, hasn't shown anything on the major league level to show he can contribute to winning.

And lots were wrong about Paulino (having upside) and Noesi as well last year, or Phil Humber in the past (I'm not going to name drop the 20-30 pitchers that have greatly benefited from Cooper's tutelage)...so because other organizations can't get something out of a pitcher, that means they're doomed and can't provide positive value?

He has been worthless because of high walk totals, command/control issues and two TJ surgeries. Whether we can get anything out of him is still undecided at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
And lots were wrong about Paulino (having upside) and Noesi as well last year, or Phil Humber in the past (I'm not going to name drop the 20-30 pitchers that have greatly benefited from Cooper's tutelage)...so because other organizations can't get something out of a pitcher, that means they're doomed and can't provide positive value?

He has been worthless because of high walk totals, command/control issues and two TJ surgeries. Whether we can get anything out of him is still undecided at this point.

Yeah, let's not sweat it too much guys. If he's worthless, he'll be here about a week.

I doubt we'll see a stupid-long leash for KD, or really any of the fringy guys on the roster.