Opening Day Grades: Filler until Wednesday

chitownsportsfan

Johnson really hung in there early against Ventura and fouled off 6-7 pitches....battled his behind off.

That was impressive.

When he did get on, you just have no excuse getting picked off on the 2nd throw when you were almost nabbed by the first and you're facing a 4-0 deficit against a World Series ace on his game. Taking second on a steal means very little there. Just needed to keep the line moving for the top of the line-up, and that didn't help.

The Flowers at-bat was typical of his worst stretches last-year, although he actually had one homer against Ventura in his career.

Another big play was that dunker that fell into RF because the defense was playing up to cut down the runner at the plate...Micah normally would get to that ball with a normal alignment.

Finally, Flowers needs to do a better job at least attempting to block that wild pitch....his footwork wasn't very good, although the surface was supposedly very slick in KC.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
On the plus side, we can back off the Samardzija for $105-120 million extension talk for at least a week.

Yea after what Porcello just got (granted he's much younger but they are similar types, not aces by any stretch) I really think that door might be closing. If he leaves he nets a comp pick anyways, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
When he did get on, you just have no excuse getting picked off on the 2nd throw when you were almost nabbed by the first and you're facing a 4-0 deficit against a World Series ace on his game.

Yeah that stunk. Hopefully he got that out of the way in his first game and that's it. How is the 1st base coach not just yelling at him "you're not stealing, we're down by 4. Do anything other than get picked off"?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Yeah that stunk. Hopefully he got that out of the way in his first game and that's it. How is the 1st base coach not just yelling at him "you're not stealing, we're down by 4. Do anything other than get picked off"?

Isn't Vince Coleman the 1B coach this year?

Or still D-Boston?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
I was only half able to watch the game today (despite my grand talk of the day off,

Looks like you edited your entire post away, which is a shame because I read it when it was there and it was long and looked like you put some work into it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
The Angels led the AL in wins last year. 96.

Opening Day, lost 10-3 at home vs Seattle.

They got swept in that series, and were outscored 26-8.

There. Feel better.

To add to that and if IIRC, opening day 2005 cleveland blew the sox out. Buehrle gave up 8 in 2 innings i think.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I happened to see it before it was swallowed and it was a doozy. Basically, after watching half of yesterday's game, chitownsportsfan is very comfortable letting

Samardzija walk into FA.

No one has actually come out and said that yet. Might be interesting if we have an ongoing thread evaluating the Shark trade throughout the year. I did notice that Semien started as SS for the A's, going 1 for 4, one RBI.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 02:16 AM)
On the plus side, we can back off the Samardzija for $105-120 million extension talk for at least a week.

At this rate (opening day) we will never see the Shark win one or the Sox for that matter :o

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 05:44 AM)
Isn't Vince Coleman the 1B coach this year?

Or still D-Boston?

I believe it is Darryl Boston as 1B coach and Mr Vince Coleman is the base stealing coach

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I happened to see it before it was swallowed and it was a doozy. Basically, after watching half of yesterday's game, chitownsportsfan is very comfortable letting Samardzija walk into FA.

How are you a mod you have a lot of antagonistic posts. Seeing what Porcello just got you really think Chicago is going to sign Shark for under $20 million AAV? It's hardly about his one start and more about his history which by and large suggests a solid 3rd starter that if you squint hard enough you can see a decent 2nd starter. He's not an ace and another non ace just got over $20 million a year. Hard to see how the Sox can make it work in this climate for SP extensions.