flavum

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
How come Micah can't hit a high pitch? Hawk and Stoney seem insistent he has to lay off it. Does this mean Micah is gonna be another bust?

Wasn't listening that closely but I assume they just want him to hit it on the ground because of his speed.

How come Micah can't hit a high pitch? Hawk and Stoney seem insistent he has to lay off it. Does this mean Micah is gonna be another bust?

A guy who has that kind of speed with little power shouldn't swing at high pitches because most of the time, contact leads to hitting the ball in the air.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Agreed, in fact, he's been seeing a lot of pitches all year. It's good that he doesn't look overmatched during his first week as a pro.

Yeah, he has had some good ABs. I have been impressed at his ability to foul off pitches

How did you take the fact that a speedster should lay off high pitches as an indicator of being a bust. I want to connect the dots on this thought process.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
How did you take the fact that a speedster should lay off high pitches as an indicator of being a bust. I want to connect the dots on this thought process.

Well, Hawk and Stoney are acting like teams have figured out Micah and he can't hit a high pitch and that's all he's gonna get in his career. Again, why can't our advance scouts do as good a job as other teams? The balls we hit are always right at defenders.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 12, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Well, Hawk and Stoney are acting like teams have figured out Micah and he can't hit a high pitch and that's all he's gonna get in his career. Again, why can't our advance scouts do as good a job as other teams? The balls we hit are always right at defenders.

Let me make it real simple. A pitcher throws a ball on a downward plane. The bat comes in to make contact at a similar ratio. So if you throw a ball chest high, how hard is it to get the correct plane to make solid contact with said pitch. There are some guys who can absolutely murder a high pitch. Most guys just get under it and pop the ball up. You want you fast guys hitting line drives or keeping the ball on the ground. You dont want them wasting their speed by putting the ball into the air a lot. Which will happen at a higher ratio when you attempt to hit high pitches.