Where do the rookie ball guys go before their season starts?

Marky Mark

Looking through the MiLB rosters, I started to wonder what the guys do during April-June who are set to be on the Great Falls roster? Do the White Sox have any specific programs these guys are supposed to keep up with? Or are they basically free to do what they want and and choose their own baseball prep before the short season begins?

Quote that really caught my eye from the article:

Players eat together in the clubhouse for two meals a day, and as many as four to five of them share the same apartment in order to spread around the cost of rent and utilities and make it more affordable. The Indians do not provide housing or pay for their food and utilities, so it is up to the players to make those housing arrangements themselves and pay their bills.

Just seems ridiculous. You would think some teams could easily buy 20 apartment units around the facilities for the players to stay in rent free. Sort of related, I am very interested to see how the litigation of minor league players alleging violation of minimum wage laws, etc. impacts minor league baseball. But it just seems patently unfair to ask guys to commit to baseball for a team, pay them peanuts, but also ask them to pay for housing and utilities.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Quote that really caught my eye from the article:

Just seems ridiculous. You would think some teams could easily buy 20 apartment units around the facilities for the players to stay in rent free. Sort of related, I am very interested to see how the litigation of minor league players alleging violation of minimum wage laws, etc. impacts minor league baseball. But it just seems patently unfair to ask guys to commit to baseball for a team, pay them peanuts, but also ask them to pay for housing and utilities.

Actually in spring training the minor leaguers don't even make peanuts - they aren't paid for ST at all.