4/15 - White Sox vs Indians

flavum

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Yea I'm with ya. I wanted to see a drag bunt attempt at 0-0 and then swing away. but it was clear that wasn't the plan, it looked like a pure sacrifice call from Robin.

You should never play for the tie on the road...what happened to that tried-and-true axiom of baseball?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Out of curiosity, anyone know what the win probability stats say about bunting with Eaton there?? (And please ignore the two strike bunt, everyone else knows how bad of an idea that was)

We had a 25.7% chance of winning after Micah's HBP. Eaton's strike out decreased it to 15.1%.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Maybe next year instead of Vince Coleman teaching them how to run into outs we can dedicate more time to learning how to catch the ball. Have our catchers work on their throws to 2nd. And I know they do it but obviously not enough.

He was a pretty lousy defender, almost as bad as Lonnie Smith.

Should have hired Willie McGee instead.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
You should never play for the tie on the road...what happened to that tried-and-true axiom of baseball?

Don't make the 3rd out at 3B. On 3-1, look to the pull the ball. Don't get picked off down 3+ runs.

Don't sac bunt down 2 on the road in the 9th with a good hitter that sucks at bunting. Don't use Gordon Beckham as the 1st RHP PH off the bench.

The amount of stupidity that we have already seen is unreal. It falls on the manager.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
Don't make the 3rd out at 3B. On 3-1, look to the pull the ball. Don't get picked off down 3+ runs.

Don't sac bunt down 2 on the road in the 9th with a good hitter that sucks at bunting. Don't use Gordon Beckham as the 1st RHP PH off the bench.

The amount of stupidity that we have already seen is unreal. It falls on the manager.

Ok we get it... you dont like robin....

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)

Its simply incredible over the last 10-15 years how White Sox managers have persistently forced bunts on players lacking the ability and/or confidence to execute aforementioned bunts in key/late/pressure sacrifice situations.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
How about we play to our players' strengths? WE ALL KNOW EATON SUCKS AT SAC BUNTS. Does the Manager?

I must of watched Eaton try to bunt 20 times during ST games, and it seems he fouled off every single attempt.

Edited by fathom

There you have it, RV is f***ing clueless

@CSNHayes: Adam Eaton was asked to bunt w/ 2 strikes. Ventura wanted Cabrera, Abreu up with men on 2nd and 3rd. Said needs to get bunt down.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
1st and 2nd, no outs, we had a 23.8% chance of winning.

A successful sac bunt would have made it 16.3% (this is why we perhaps should avoid bunting most of the time). A bunt single would have made it 40.3%. Eaton has a 42.3 lifetime BUH% but it seems less likely when he's clearly showing sacrifice.

Thanks. I know at times late in game, bunting becomes a tad bit more defensible, but I didn't know how much that held through in this situation.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)

@CSNHayes: Adam Eaton was asked to bunt w/ 2 strikes. Ventura wanted Cabrera, Abreu up with men on 2nd and 3rd. Said needs to get bunt down.

Yep, cause Eaton's such a threat to hit into a double play. It's sickening that Ventura has so much job security.

It's way too early to say the upcoming series is a "must win" series for the Sox vs. the Tigers but they really can't afford to get swept and fall 7.5 back this early. This team doesn't have the make up to play catch up all year to the Royals and Tigers.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)

Lol that is so pathetic. Yes, Eaton should have gotten it down his first two tries but he didn't and he looked horrible doing it so why would you ask him to do it again with 2 strikes? This is baseball 101 and it is quite sad that our manager doesn't understand that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Thanks. I know at times late in game, bunting becomes a tad bit more defensible, but I didn't know how much that held through in this situation.

If the game had been tied, for example, a successful sac bunt would have increased the win probability from 68.4% to 69.7%.

If we had been down 1, same thing, an increase from 44.6% to 47.3%.

Down two, it was a clear mistake and once you have two strikes... my god.

Standard disclaimer that win probability totally ignores the players and teams involved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
I guess Robin did have the bunt on with 2 strikes. I don't agree with it, but Eaton is hitting .120.

I don't care if he is 0 for his 50, it's way too risky to bunt with two strikes. Not to mention, it's your 3 fastest players involved, so the GIDP is a bit less likely.

Avi isnt the most selective hitter (with a wild thrower at that moment) but runs well enough to avoid most DPs.

Adam was 2/4 yesterday as well.

And Seriously, if 2010-2014 Gordon Beckham's at the plate he STILL should have been playing for the win instead of leaving it all in Abreu's hands.