Was I wrong about this Team?

LDF

i am not going to be making this about anyone but me, but i am wondering, was i wrong about this team? going into the season, i was sure, this team as assembled, would be doing better, much better. i think, looking at the roster on paper, they have the horses to get it done, but where is the problem?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 05:05 AM)
i am not going to be making this about anyone but me, but i am wondering, was i wrong about this team? going into the season, i was sure, this team as assembled, would be doing better, much better. i think, looking at the roster on paper, they have the horses to get it done, but where is the problem?

My take is the team is no better than last year's.

The defense, coupled with baserunning, is a little below average to bad. The hitting has been overall rotten. LaRoche can't hit lefties. The team continues to strand runners in exasperating situations (first and second no out, etc). The bullpen looks improved but the Sox rarely get them a lead. The starters have been OK to good like last year.

It still could go either way, but the team is definitely off to a very disappointing start.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)

The horses are the problem.

I think that the biggest flaw in this team remains what I have been complaining about for a couple of years: The lineup lacks a really potent left handed hitter, in the

middle of the order. Adam Dunn was a total failure, in that role and I'm afraid that Adam La Roche will prove to be a similar disappointment. As many of us have pointed out, he cannot hit LHP. A clean up hitter, who is incapable of hitting left handed pitching represents a big liability. In the late innings, with the potential for a big inning, the opposition will simply go to the pen and bring in a lefty to face La Roche. Moreover, it makes it too easy for the pitcher to go around Abreu, knowing that La Roche is coming up behind him, and that he can be retired by bringing in a "LOOGY".

Having a couple of guys in the lineup, who cannot hit lefties is acceptable, but not right in the heart of the order. This is why I advocated using Sanchez as the #2 hitter, which would allow Melky to hit behind Jose. He won't hit as many home runs as La Roche, but he is a switch hitter, he hits for average, and does not represent an automatic out vs. a lefty. La Roche probably has to hit behind Garcia.

I'm hoping that Beckham can continue to have decent at bats, which would solve the similar problem that Gillaspie poses. Gordon could pinch hit for him, in the late innings, vs a tough left handed reliever. Those late innings are a time when having his superior defense at third, alone justifies removing Gillaspie, in favor of Beckham.

If the Sox had been able to sign Victor Martinez, this lineup would look so much better. And, of course, it would have been a big blow to the Tigers. But, that's "water over the dam". I don't know how they are going to fix this problem, but I hope they figure out something soon, because I think we've all had enough, over the last several years, of watching an inept "Adam" at the cleanup spot, killing rallies, in the late innings.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
I think that the biggest flaw in this team remains what I have been complaining about for a couple of years: The lineup lacks a really potent left handed hitter, in the

middle of the order. Adam Dunn was a total failure, in that role and I'm afraid that Adam La Roche will prove to be a similar disappointment. As many of us have pointed out, he cannot hit LHP. A clean up hitter, who is incapable of hitting left handed pitching represents a big liability. In the late innings, with the potential for a big inning, the opposition will simply go to the pen and bring in a lefty to face La Roche. Moreover, it makes it too easy for the pitcher to go around Abreu, knowing that La Roche is coming up behind him, and that he can be retired by bringing in a "LOOGY".

Having a couple of guys in the lineup, who cannot hit lefties is acceptable, but not right in the heart of the order. This is why I advocated using Sanchez as the #2 hitter, which would allow Melky to hit behind Jose. He won't hit as many home runs as La Roche, but he is a switch hitter, he hits for average, and does not represent an automatic out vs. a lefty. La Roche probably has to hit behind Garcia.

I'm hoping that Beckham can continue to have decent at bats, which would solve the similar problem that Gillaspie poses. Gordon could pinch hit for him, in the late innings, vs a tough left handed reliever. Those late innings are a time when having his superior defense at third, alone justifies removing Gillaspie, in favor of Beckham.

If the Sox had been able to sign Victor Martinez, this lineup would look so much better. And, of course, it would have been a big blow to the Tigers. But, that's "water over the dam". I don't know how they are going to fix this problem, but I hope they figure out something soon, because I think we've all had enough, over the last several years, of watching an inept "Adam" at the cleanup spot, killing rallies, in the late innings.

I agree about LaRoche. The problem is, I doubt he's going anywhere. If Ventura could have Dunn sitting in the middle of the lineup for 3 years, I don't know why it would be different with LaRoche.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
????????

Apparently, you find something in my post astounding. Would you care to elaborate?

You are obsessed with a lefty middle of the order hitter. No need for you to elaborate why, i know. I have read it. Many. Many. Many times.

We need Grady

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
LaRoche will be fine. Funny no one was complaining when he hit 3 homers in a week and drove in some big runs.

There aren't many left handed hitters who handle left handed pitchers well.

This.

The reason we're scoring 2 runs per game is because literally all the starters (except Abreu) are performing below expectations, not because LaRoche has a platoon disadvantage.

On the season already, Adam LaRoche has a .860 OPS against right handers and a .548 OPS against lefties. This is entirely predictable based on his performance the last 2 years and suggests at least one potential solution. If only we had versatile right handed players on the bench who could take his spot when there is a lefty on the mound starting the game.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
????????

Apparently, you find something in my post astounding. Would you care to elaborate?

I don't understand your #1 complaint can be that the new left handed cleanup hitter doesn't hit lefties well enough. That's what happens. Lefty sluggers do much worse against LHP. Even Big Papi has a nearly .170 point OPS drop vs. LHP, it's how the game works. The hitter you are looking for either doesn't exist or is in the Hall of Fame.

Cue Greg saying Robin will never straight platoon guys like Dunn and LaRoche at their salaries.

Maybe theres something to the A's approach...using castoffs (Moss for example) its much easier for the organization to justify platooning them.

Edited by caulfield12

I guess it's early, but our first 25 games were against the division. Many of us wanted to get in the playoffs, and being so horribly inept against the pitching in the central is...white sox baseball, catch the fever.

The team is hilarious right now. Everything you would imagine as a strength (except sale) has been a weakness.

I bet we'd have all thought we'd be cooking in situations where micah and eaton get on base to start an inning! Ooooh that speed! Just make contact and they'll score...unless you are the 2015 white sox, who somehow manage to hit double plays and strike out 3 x in a row to end these threats.

They cannot string together hits, attack hitters with strikes, or run the bases, and our corner defense is probably the worst in the league.

The fact that we cannot do this for the first month of the season, the month that players are most well rested, healthy and mentally prepared, does not scream "It'll come around!" to me.

I'm not even sure we can match last years win total.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
This.

The reason we're scoring 2 runs per game is because literally all the starters (except Abreu) are performing below expectations, not because LaRoche has a platoon disadvantage.

Realistically, we aren't doing anything big until the offense comes around.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 06:57 AM)
You are obsessed with a lefty middle of the order hitter. No need for you to elaborate why, i know. I have read it. Many. Many. Many times.

We need Grady

Whether or not it's true that I am "obsessed" with a left handed, middle of the order hitter is arguable, but not my point here. What I am saying is that a team should not have a guy hitting cleanup, who is completely incapable of hitting left handed pitching. Do you disagree with that point?

I would actually prefer a right handed hitter, who could hit both RHP and LHP, to guys like Adam Dunn and now Adam La Roche, who are worthless vs. lefties.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Whether or not it's true that I am "obsessed" with a left handed, middle of the order hitter is arguable, but not my point here. What I am saying is that a team should not have a guy hitting cleanup, who is completely incapable of hitting left handed pitching. Do you disagree with that point?

I would actually prefer a right handed hitter, who could hit both RHP and LHP, to guys like Adam Dunn and now Adam La Roche, who are worthless vs. lefties.

I would prefer to have Mike Trout, but the reality is we dont have him. Your point always is "We need a lefty hitter that can hit lefties very well" and time and time again you are shown that this type of person either does not exist, is not available, or is in the hall of fame. Adam Laroche is a capable hitter and he offers protection for Abreu. He isnt perfect, but he can field his position very well which gives him a step up from his predecessor. He is NOT Adam Dunn.

And your obsession is not arguable. It is well documented, it is a fact.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
This.

my opinion only .... ding... ding.