Was I wrong about this Team?

LDF

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Its everyone in the lineup thats causing the offense not to be good. Stat on jose. He's had 31 runners on base when he's come to the plate. He has 9 rbi's but he also has 4 homers so take away the 4 rbis he's driven himself in and he's only driven in 5 runners of the 31 that's been on base in front of him. That's 16% of runners he's driving in.

Very statistically rigorous.

How does this compare to the avearage hitter?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Technically 5 rbi's is the average for 31 runners on but that seem pretty crappy to be only driving in 16% of base runners and leaving 84% of base runners on base.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...b&year=2015

If 16% is roughly the league average, then you'd definitely expect Abreu to be higher because he's better than the average hitter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
LaRoche has a career 88 wRC+ against LHP. That is by no means good, but it's also very much not a disaster, and very much not that far off from what other guys have against the platoon split, and fortunately for us, there are vastly fewer lefties than righties.

I am not suggesting that having someone inept is isn't a problem, but the precedent LaRoche has set isn't quite that bad, and certainly, IMO, not bad enough to drag the rest of the team down ASSUMING that team is playing like it's capable. Like Eaton, Garcia, Ramirez, Gillaspie, and Cabrera can't keep sucking, or it'll be a moot point. The good news is that we don't have any reason to believe that they WILL continue sucking.

He wasn't too bad, earlier in his career. The last two seasons have been brutal. I posted the stats.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
He wasn't too bad, earlier in his career. The last two seasons have been brutal. I posted the stats.

It's not surprising if you watch him he has the exact same problem Dunn did against LHP -- his bat isn't quick enough any more to punish bad fastballs so all they see is junk down and fastballs up and outside. If a pitcher does leave a fastball over the play 9/10 they will foul it straight back.

LaRoche very much needs a platoon partner and it's too bad Robin doesn't see it that way. Hell, get Davidson up in July if he keeps mashing and let him see some LHP at DH.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
LaRoche will be fine. Funny no one was complaining when he hit 3 homers in a week and drove in some big runs.

There aren't many left handed hitters who handle left handed pitchers well.

Thank you.

I think that signing him was one of the better moves that Rick Hahn made during the winter. I think that he is going to hit at least 30 homers for the team this year.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
Thank you.

I think that signing him was one of the better moves that Rick Hahn made during the winter. I think that he is going to hit at least 30 homers for the team this year.

He still should be on the bench when the opposing starter is a lefty

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
He wouldn't have signed if that was the arrangement.

I would think that even a selfish player would want to sit vs pitching that makes his stats look that bad.

Moreover, he could be a tremendous asset, as a pinch hitter, on those days.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
I would think that even a selfish player would want to sit vs pitching that makes his stats look that bad.

Moreover, he could be a tremendous asset, as a pinch hitter, on those days.

Exactly. He's still going to get 500+ PA. Just don't let him get 700+ PA with 200+ against LHP. He's 36 it's the perfect situation let him rest and appear as a deadly PH threat on non start days.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:05 AM)
i am not going to be making this about anyone but me, but i am wondering, was i wrong about this team? going into the season, i was sure, this team as assembled, would be doing better, much better. i think, looking at the roster on paper, they have the horses to get it done, but where is the problem?

Wait a minute, it's stopped raining.

Guys are swimming, guys are sailing

Playing baseball, gee that's better

Muddah, faddah kindly disregard this letter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't think you were wrong about this team. I just think it's taking them a bit of time to get their s*** together. But once they do I think we can all expect good things. This does not mean the Royals and Tigers are not going to be very tough to beat, but they both have flaws just like the Sox. Each has had their hot streak. Soon we'll have ours.

This.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't think you were wrong about this team. I just think it's taking them a bit of time to get their s*** together. But once they do I think we can all expect good things. This does not mean the Royals and Tigers are not going to be very tough to beat, but they both have flaws just like the Sox. Each has had their hot streak. Soon we'll have ours.

and if this is the case, then the sox org spent too much time working with the young prospects at spring training. when they broke and headed north, this team should have been ready to play. they are getting paid a crap load of money, to play.

this has nothing to do with hot streaks or not, it is lack of preparation. all those errors and miscues.