Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

Quick correction.. it takes about a full year for the casual fans to catch on to what's going on. If a team has a winning season and is in first place all season long, it won't matter. Until next season.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Winning team in the previous season + interesting area surrounding the ballpark = people showing up

Losing team in the previous season + interesting area surrounding the ballpark = people showing up (see Cubs)

Winning team in the previous season + non-interesting area surrounding the ballpark = people showing up

Losing team in the previous season + non-interesting area surrounding the ballpark = people NOT showing up (see most of past half century with the White Sox)

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody posted that the Orange line didn't have a stop at Roosevelt until years later. When the City of Chicago wanted to build the stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop, one of the things involved in the negociations was the adding of a el station at that location. The White Sox would have had to contribute to the cost of the station. JR refused to help pay for that train station. That helped break down the talks between the City and JR. Never made any sense to me what JR did. Every marketing study I have ever seen has shown that 20% of White Sox attendance comes via public transportation. I'm convinced more and more that no matter what the City offered JR he was going to refuse their offers because he wanted to have the stadium built in Addison on land that he owned. If the stadium had been built in Addison I don't know if JR would of owned the stadium. But I do know he owned that land. He wound up selling that land for $9 million dollars. My final comment on this subject is that for most of my life the White Sox ownerships were always talking about a new stadium for the White Sox going back as far as 1967. I never ever thought the new stadium would be built in the same area as the old stadium. I think JR screwed up big time, and the franchise and White Sox fan base has suffered because of it. No tears will be shed on my part when he is no longer running the White Sox. He had a stadium built where it should not have been built and he built a stadium where nobody wants to sit in the upper deck.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
Somebody posted that the Orange line didn't have a stop at Roosevelt until years later. When the City of Chicago wanted to build the stadium for the White Sox in the South Loop, one of the things involved in the negociations was the adding of a el station at that location. The White Sox would have had to contribute to the cost of the station. JR refused to help pay for that train station. That helped break down the talks between the City and JR. Never made any sense to me what JR did. Every marketing study I have ever seen has shown that 20% of White Sox attendance comes via public transportation. I'm convinced more and more that no matter what the City offered JR he was going to refuse their offers because he wanted to have the stadium built in Addison on land that he owned. If the stadium had been built in Addison I don't know if JR would of owned the stadium. But I do know he owned that land. He wound up selling that land for $9 million dollars. My final comment on this subject is that for most of my life the White Sox ownerships were always talking about a new stadium for the White Sox going back as far as 1967. I never ever thought the new stadium would be built in the same area as the old stadium. I think JR screwed up big time, and the franchise and White Sox fan base has suffered because of it. No tears will be shed on my part when he is no longer running the White Sox. He had a stadium built where it should not have been built and he built a stadium where nobody wants to sit in the upper deck.

Jerry Reinsdorf made a series of bungling decisions in the '80s that crippled this franchise and adversely impact it to this very day.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)

excellent.....

the sox have in their ownership have always look at things the wrong way, always overestimated their position, always asked for too much and always too late.

Just contributing to this discussion, FYI, in the book "Ballpark: The Building of Camden Yards," a rep from the HOK architectural firm was quoted as saying that JR was given the option to build Camden Yards in essence instead of what took place with the new Comiskey Park and turned it down.

He was shown the plans but said no. And the rep specifically named him not another member of the organization when talking about that decision. The HOK firm designed the plans for both stadiums.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Just contributing to this discussion, FYI, in the book "Ballpark: The Building of Camden Yards," a rep from the HOK architectural firm was quoted as saying that JR was given the option to build Camden Yards in essence instead of what took place with the new Comiskey Park and turned it down.

He was shown the plans but said no. And the rep specifically named him not another member of the organization when talking about that decision. The HOK firm designed the plans for both stadiums.

Mark

I have heard that too. I just went to Camden last year, the upper deck is very much like the Cell. Lower Level is very similar too, just no tiers. The outfield though, dang, we missed on that one. Their set-up is pretty nice.

I live in Bridgeport. My mortgage will show that it is hardly a ghetto. I maybe make it to Cork and Kerry a couple times in the off season, but not that much. I hardly go out, but they seem to be kinda busy on the weekends. ChiSox is closed unless there is a game. I just don't think the neighborhood would support a new crop of businesses down there at all. And that is why no one opens anything. I would also doubt people would utilize it enough to make it worth their while, cause that would involve some extra effort.

Has anyone not gone to ChiSox because it is too packed (sans opening day)? I doubt it. A decent beer is a whole buck less than the park at ChiSox, anything that would be in that area is gonna be the same price as the park for the most part. I can see places getting built and fans complaining about the prices and not going. If ChiSox was busy all the time, you'd see more things get built, but there doesn't seem to be a need. I also hardly doubt that a huge influx of people would come to more Sox games based on post game entertainment. Especially during the week. If we had more weekday games, maybe, but as it stands, most folks just wanna get home. If you wanna hang out, ChiSox is right there.

It comes down to winning. If we win, all is cured. Until that happens, enjoy the extra room and cheap tickets. I am.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Better bet is to get off at the Cermak/Chinatown red line stop. Walk down Cullerton and take the 18th Street bridge over the tracks and you pop right out by the South lots

Interesting. I take the 18th St. bridge whenever I cab it or hit up a local establishment, but I never thought that Chinatown stop was close enough to walk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Interesting. I take the 18th St. bridge whenever I cab it or hit up a local establishment, but I never thought that Chinatown stop was close enough to walk.

You could switch to the Green Line now and get off at 22nd and State. It's a pretty new stop, a couple blocks closer than the Red Line.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
I have heard that too. I just went to Camden last year, the upper deck is very much like the Cell. Lower Level is very similar too, just no tiers. The outfield though, dang, we missed on that one. Their set-up is pretty nice.

I live in Bridgeport. My mortgage will show that it is hardly a ghetto. I maybe make it to Cork and Kerry a couple times in the off season, but not that much. I hardly go out, but they seem to be kinda busy on the weekends. ChiSox is closed unless there is a game. I just don't think the neighborhood would support a new crop of businesses down there at all. And that is why no one opens anything. I would also doubt people would utilize it enough to make it worth their while, cause that would involve some extra effort.

Has anyone not gone to ChiSox because it is too packed (sans opening day)? I doubt it. A decent beer is a whole buck less than the park at ChiSox, anything that would be in that area is gonna be the same price as the park for the most part. I can see places getting built and fans complaining about the prices and not going. If ChiSox was busy all the time, you'd see more things get built, but there doesn't seem to be a need. I also hardly doubt that a huge influx of people would come to more Sox games based on post game entertainment. Especially during the week. If we had more weekday games, maybe, but as it stands, most folks just wanna get home. If you wanna hang out, ChiSox is right there.

It comes down to winning. If we win, all is cured. Until that happens, enjoy the extra room and cheap tickets. I am.

This - It's just not viable to open a bar/restaurant/entertainment in Bridgeport right now that can be supported by ChiSox traffic -- and probably ever. We just have to hope that 15-20 years from now we get it right. 15-20 years from now may even be being generous. The stadium itself is still nice, (I will say after going to other ballparks, my opinion has greatly changed -- Royals is the only place I like less) so convincing tax payers (most likely) to pay for a chunk when you have a stadium that is still viable, may be tough.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)

Mark

Reinsdorf was in love with Royals (Kauffman) Stadium for some reason and wanted the same stadium. That's what he got minus fountains. A pretty bland Cell. The Sox were mostly concerned with improving the clubhouses and offices and that's what they got. Except for die hard Sox fans most agree the Cell is a lousy looking ballpark. Great food and drink and all that but lousy ballpark.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
This - It's just not viable to open a bar/restaurant/entertainment in Bridgeport right now that can be supported by ChiSox traffic -- and probably ever. We just have to hope that 15-20 years from now we get it right. 15-20 years from now may even be being generous. The stadium itself is still nice, (I will say after going to other ballparks, my opinion has greatly changed -- Royals is the only place I like less) so convincing tax payers (most likely) to pay for a chunk when you have a stadium that is still viable, may be tough.

the demographics as is may not support it, that is why there are central locations to go and have a nice time. i am sorry to say this, but that neighborhood in and around sox area is not it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Reinsdorf was in love with Royals (Kauffman) Stadium for some reason and wanted the same stadium. That's what he got minus fountains. A pretty bland Cell. The Sox were mostly concerned with improving the clubhouses and offices and that's what they got. Except for die hard Sox fans most agree the Cell is a lousy looking ballpark. Great food and drink and all that but lousy ballpark.

The cell looks nothing like Kaufman, with or without fountains

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)

for me, who cares what it looks like, it was new and the food and drinks is what sell a day at the park. the food and drinks is what people talk about.... not that architectural design was nice.

the cell is not a lousy park, i am ok with it..... i am not too crazy of the product on the field.

btw.... fyi... meant no offense on my bold. ok,.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
The cell looks nothing like Kaufman, with or without fountains

Inside the Cell it is the same bowl. The original upper deck was just like Kauffman (way too steep). Jerry wanted a functional park like Kauffman and he got it. For the team, it's perfect: clubhouses, locker rooms, managers offices, staff offices. For fans it's a blah place that is very acceptable in terms of comfort.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Inside the Cell it is the same bowl. The original upper deck was just like Kauffman (way too steep). Jerry wanted a functional park like Kauffman and he got it. For the team, it's perfect: clubhouses, locker rooms, managers offices, staff offices. For fans it's a blah place that is very acceptable in terms of comfort.

ok greg

My friends do a yearly baseball trip, and I've been to a few with them and some on my own.

Wrigley

The Cell

Camden Yards

SF (PacBell or whatever it's called)

Texas' new one

San Diego

Arizona

Of those, I loved SF. I think Camden and Wrigley are second. Arizona is terrible. San Diego and Texas seem artificial. I would rank The Cell after Wrigley and Camden, but I'd add that when its full or near capacity, it's pretty great.

There's not much to do around the The Cell, but 90% of people go to the game and then home, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I think Sox fans are just typical Chicago fans. They go when the team is good, and stay away when not. It's no different than Bears, Bulls, Hawks, or Cubs fans. All have plenty of available seats when they're not playing well.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
My friends do a yearly baseball trip, and I've been to a few with them and some on my own.

Wrigley

The Cell

Camden Yards

SF (PacBell or whatever it's called)

Texas' new one

San Diego

Arizona

Of those, I loved SF. I think Camden and Wrigley are second. Arizona is terrible. San Diego and Texas seem artificial. I would rank The Cell after Wrigley and Camden, but I'd add that when its full or near capacity, it's pretty great.

There's not much to do around the The Cell, but 90% of people go to the game and then home, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I think Sox fans are just typical Chicago fans. They go when the team is good, and stay away when not. It's no different than Bears, Bulls, Hawks, or Cubs fans. All have plenty of available seats when they're not playing well.

The Bulls were sold-out when Ron Mercer an company were on the team.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
The Bulls were sold-out when Ron Mercer an company were on the team.

I'll never forget the Khalid El-Amin and Dickie Simpkins era and yes they frickin' sold-out every night.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)

It was when it first opened but I don't think you can say that now. It's one of the nicer ones around in my mind.

Jerry didn't want Kauffman so much as he wanted that additional level for 'sky boxes' (which he was never able to sell) which pushed the upper deck higher. The last row of the original Comiskey Park bleachers was actually closer to home plate than the first row of the upper deck at the new park when it opened.

Mark

I think one of the reasons the rake or slant of the upper deck became such an issue was the lack of a roof backdrop originally...the perception that it's safer or more protected to be up there. Undoubtedly the inclusion of the club/luxury boxes forced it as well, since the seats were getting pushed further away from the playing surface.

If you could look from the upper deck and have a higher, unobstructed view straight towards the downtown skyline those tickets would be much easier to sell for night games. The feel would be totally different.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
I think one of the reasons the rake or slant of the upper deck became such an issue was the lack of a roof backdrop originally...the perception that it's safer or more protected to be up there. Undoubtedly the inclusion of the club/luxury boxes forced it as well, since the seats were getting pushed further away from the playing surface.

If you could look from the upper deck and have a higher, unobstructed view straight towards the downtown skyline those tickets would be much easier to sell for night games. The feel would be totally different.

oh i was up there on some fri night games, really nice weather, it was great..... i also fell down the stairs up there..... it is too freaking steep.

but that view of chi...... that was nice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Except for die hard Sox fans most agree the Cell is a lousy looking ballpark. Great food and drink and all that but lousy ballpark.

According to who exactly? I have brought several folks to the game and they all remarked at how nice it was.

Are there better parks? Yes. But the Cell isn't as bad as some make is seem.