4/24-26 - The Pale Hose vs. The Team That Inspired Lorde's Angst

Quin

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 02:45 AM)
Avi is such a bad guesser. No pitch recognition at all. I really hope it's something he can learn. Right now he knows if he's going to swing while they are delivering the pitch

Problem with Avi is Hahn and company treated him like a future superstar this past offseason. The lineup looks awful with the equivalent of a slap hitter batting 5th.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 02:45 AM)
Give Avi a couple of days off. Yeesh.

I wonder what his ceiling is as a hitter. You darn well know that's why teams finally gave up on Viciedo. They were sick of seeing him swing at everything and figure he just won't change that approach. His 20 bombs aren't worth his bad defense and bad recognition (meaning Viciedo). I'm starting to wonder bout Avi. He's young but if he doesn't learn to lay off some pitches and draw some walks I'm afraid he's not going to excel.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
Problem with Avi is Hahn and company treated him like a future superstar this past offseason. The lineup looks awful with the equivalent of a slap hitter batting 5th.

He has the tools. Just cannot identify pitches. That's a huge problem. Hopefully he can develop that with experience.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 02:47 AM)

Yeah, I see him at the plate and think "home run hitter" but that apparently is not what he is.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
He has the tools. Just cannot identify pitches. That's a huge problem. Hopefully he can develop that with experience.

He's still only 23 and without the benefit of a full season in the Major Leagues, so you would think he does have time, with experience, to fine tune those tools and then recognize his talent. The problem I have at this point is trying to get him to do that underneath the pressure of being a middle-of-the-order hitter. I think he needs to be down around 7th in the order at this stage of his career.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
He's still only 23 without the benefit of a full season in the Major Leagues, so you would think he does have time, with experience, to fine tune those tools and then recognize his talent. The problem I have at this point is trying to get him to do that underneath the pressure of being a middle-of-the-order hitter. He needs to be down around 7th in the order at this stage of his career.

100% agree. He's nowhere near ready to be our 5 hitter.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 24, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
He's still only 23 and without the benefit of a full season in the Major Leagues, so you would think he does have time, with experience, to fine tune those tools and then recognize his talent. The problem I have at this point is trying to get him to do that underneath the pressure of being a middle-of-the-order hitter. He needs to be down around 7th in the order at this stage of his career.

I agree with this. I just hope pitch recognition is something he can learn. Right now he's totally guessing. And most of the time he's guessing wrong