2015 White Sox draft pick discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
The question is would they take say $2.5 million from us, or risk falling further down the draft where the slot amount doesn't allow that much to be offered. The #16 spot in the draft is the last place that could offer $2.5 million without being over slot. If you move that number to $3.0 million, that number moves up to the #12 slot.

Let's say that the Sox trade for a comp pick and it fall in the 33-39 range, I would draft Aiken and offer him $1M, Kiley McDaniel said that a lot of teams consider him undraftable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
Let's say that the Sox trade for a comp pick and it fall in the 33-39 range, I would draft Aiken and offer him $1M, Kiley McDaniel said that a lot of teams consider him undraftable.

i think the minimum the team can offer is the minimum for that slot. which i do not know. it is in the CBA for the draft cap. which i think it is.

I can't see anyway the Sox take a high schooler at #8. The Sox have only taken one high school player (Hawkins) with their top pick since 2001.

I think they will go get someone at a discount. The draft is pretty deep in that the guy you draft at #30 will grade out about the same as the guys you draft at #8. There are three players that are viewed a little higher, but then it seems there is a mass of players that could go at any time in the rest of the first round. I think the Sox find a college guy that will cut them a break and roll the money saved out to some high schoolers later in the draft. I like the idea of DJ Stewart, probably the best college bat in the class, limited defensively, but should be able to play above average LF in the pros.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)

Thats wasting a pick and whatever you had to trade to get the pick. Aiken has no reason to sign now, he can complete his rehab and come back in the draft as a junior with a chance to be a top 5 guy again if his recovery goes well. If you are going to take a chance on him, draft him in the tenth round.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I can't see anyway the Sox take a high schooler at #8. The Sox have only taken one high school player (Hawkins) with their top pick since 2001.

I think they will go get someone at a discount. The draft is pretty deep in that the guy you draft at #30 will grade out about the same as the guys you draft at #8. There are three players that are viewed a little higher, but then it seems there is a mass of players that could go at any time in the rest of the first round. I think the Sox find a college guy that will cut them a break and roll the money saved out to some high schoolers later in the draft. I like the idea of DJ Stewart, probably the best college bat in the class, limited defensively, but should be able to play above average LF in the pros.

At some point, I hope the front office does plan on bringing a "above average" defender into the fold....and one who can also hit (consistently) as well, would help.

As for the pitcher's build comments, it's always there....it was with Gio and Stroman, there are some who are concerned with Dillon Tate as well (and he's not "tiny" by any stretch of the imagination).

I was just reading the early early 2016 draft speculation and one of the top pitchers is compared to Tate stuff-wise, and praised specifically for this very reason, the assumption of a more durable frame. Of course, it also wouldn't surprise me if someone like Tyler Kolek never makes it to the majors at all, with the "perfect" pitcher's frame in the minds of scouts (maybe too bulky for others).

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...p?P=tyler-kolek Doing okay, but lousy peripherals and the SAL is one of the two "lower" full season A ball leagues.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
At some point, I hope the front office does plan on bringing a "above average" defender into the fold....and one who can also hit (consistently) as well, would help.

As for the pitcher's build comments, it's always there....it was with Gio and Stroman, there are some who are concerned with Dillon Tate as well (and he's not "tiny" by any stretch of the imagination).

I was just reading the early early 2016 draft speculation and one of the top pitchers is compared to Tate stuff-wise, and praised specifically for this very reason, the assumption of a more durable frame. Of course, it also wouldn't surprise me if someone like Tyler Kolek never makes it to the majors at all, with the "perfect" pitcher's frame in the minds of scouts (maybe too bulky for others).

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...p?P=tyler-kolek Doing okay, but lousy peripherals and the SAL is one of the two "lower" full season A ball leagues.

nice.....

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)

for my point, i like your thought process..... however i disagree with DJ Stewert. i will respond to my ideas later...

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
Thats wasting a pick and whatever you had to trade to get the pick. Aiken has no reason to sign now, he can complete his rehab and come back in the draft as a junior with a chance to be a top 5 guy again if his recovery goes well. If you are going to take a chance on him, draft him in the tenth round.

excellent

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:00 AM)
I don't think there is, I'm looking through the CBA

i really thought they has a fyi kind of number.

it is me with another illness..... it is called foot in mouth diseased.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
The guy I would like is Carson Fulmer, and it will definitely be close if he makes it to the Sox's pick. None of the hitters really wow me at all - as far as college hitters. And I have ZERO faith in the Sox taking a high school bat and developing him into an MLB bat, so to me it becomes take the BPA between a college arm and a high school arm. And I think it Fulmer is the BPA. He is having a terrific year in the SEC and has electric stuff. Many worry about his size and durability, but I have still yet to see any study (maybe there is one, I honestly have no idea) that finds any correlation or causation between a pitcher's size and his ability to stay healthy. There just seems to be an assumption that if you are not 6'3" and 220, you are destined for the bullpen because you aren't built like the prototypical pitcher.

The problem is his delivery. He makes Sale look smooth.

Are there no quality college bats available at this pick that wouldn't be a reach?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 02:22 AM)
Happ would be the most often mentioned college bat in this spot.

i agree, i do not know why Happ hasn't gotten more love from those who makes the mock draft. they still have him at the mid teens with the hs'ers making a run. another is the lsu ss and DJ Stewart. the one i like about Stewart is, he knows how to take walks, esp when the pitchers are afraid to pitch to him and he has improve on his avg overall by 30 points.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
The problem is his delivery. He makes Sale look smooth.

Are there no quality college bats available at this pick that wouldn't be a reach?

I don't see anything that terrible in his delivery. It definitely has some effort to it, but it doesn't seem overwhelming.

But again, with pitchers, it seems everything is a crap shoot with injuries and success. Rumors have mentioned the White Sox (and Red Sox) interested in Fulmer, and we are known as arguably the best organization when it comes to pitcher's injuries. So if the White Sox do not view him delivery as a problem, I am on board.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
I don't see anything that terrible in his delivery. It definitely has some effort to it, but it doesn't seem overwhelming.

But again, with pitchers, it seems everything is a crap shoot with injuries and success. Rumors have mentioned the White Sox (and Red Sox) interested in Fulmer, and we are known as arguably the best organization when it comes to pitcher's injuries. So if the White Sox do not view him delivery as a problem, I am on board.

the sox does have holes they need to address and it is obvious they will know how best to continue to rebuild the system.

as a amateur scout and wanne be GM , i will like to think if the pitching is not the route to go in the 1 round, when the option is to get a positional player to help the team in 2 yrs.

there are a couple of players i am really interested in and i am going to wait as it closer to draft day.

the sox needs more comp picks.

Edited by LDF

Keith Law really doesn't think Fulmer can be a starter. I have similar concerns from the games I've seen the last month or so.

Ryan (Nashville)

Given that Carson Fulmer holds his stuff late into games and has, knock on wood, never had injury problems, is there a non-zero chance he can be a starter? It seems like sometimes there are just funky guys that it works for (Sale, Lincecum), so could you see a team in the top 15 take a chance on him thinking he can start?

Klaw (1:27 PM)

Two questions. Do I think he can start? Absolutely not. Incredibly violent, max-effort delivery that currently has him with 40 fastball command. Yes, he holds his stuff and hasn't been hurt, but he also pitches every seventh day, and Vandy handles their arms as well as any program in the country. Do I think someone will take him in the top 15? I'd give you even money on that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
For protected selections (first three rounds) teams must offer 60% of slot value in order to get compensation if they don't sign.

Edited to add the bold. If you can sign them, you can do so for a dollar. That's where the potential for injured players comes into play. Though even then, 1st rounders rarely would sign for that low.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)

They have brought in Mitchell, Thompson, and Hawkins all who were thought to be plus defenders. I like the idea of Stewart taking over for Melky in LF or even Abreu at 1B when/if he moves to full time DH. There are a lot of intriguing options out there.

None of the pitchers around that area are very appealing to me, you could reach for Matuela, but only if he comes in at a significant discount from slot value. This may not be the worst draft to not sign your first round pick as the #9 pick next season will likely be a better player than what will be there at #8 this year. Yes it may negatively affect your already light draft pool this year, but only if you were going to get someone under slot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Keith Law really doesn't think Fulmer can be a starter. I have similar concerns from the games I've seen the last month or so.

Ryan (Nashville)

Given that Carson Fulmer holds his stuff late into games and has, knock on wood, never had injury problems, is there a non-zero chance he can be a starter? It seems like sometimes there are just funky guys that it works for (Sale, Lincecum), so could you see a team in the top 15 take a chance on him thinking he can start?

Klaw (1:27 PM)

Two questions. Do I think he can start? Absolutely not. Incredibly violent, max-effort delivery that currently has him with 40 fastball command. Yes, he holds his stuff and hasn't been hurt, but he also pitches every seventh day, and Vandy handles their arms as well as any program in the country. Do I think someone will take him in the top 15? I'd give you even money on that.

FWIW, McDaniel seems to have the exact opposite view. He admits to being high on Fulmer specifically because he believe he CAN start.

MLB.com top 10 pick mock from Callis and Mayo:

8. White Sox

Callis: Walker Buehler, RHP, Vanderbilt. Chicago scored with a college pitcher (Carlos Rodon at No. 3) in the 2014 Draft and could do look to do so again this June. Funkhouser would be an obvious consideration, but if he's gone, Buehler has a better chance to be a big league starter than fellow Vanderbilt righty Carson Fulmer.

Mayo: Funkhouser. He could go higher than this, for sure. But the White Sox have liked big, strong, durable college arms in the past. And unlike many other college pitchers this year, Funkhouser has been completely healthy and a steady performer.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/121103208/ji...s-in-2015-draft

Edited by Ozzie Ball