2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Seems like a no brainer but I don't know much about these prospects as I don't follow the baseball draft as much as the NFL draft. We're also s month away so I'm starting to dive in deeper. I seen Delvin Perez mocked to us but that seems like a big stretch that he'd make it to 10. I want a hitter badly but I'd be ok with a pitcher as BPA because we can develop pitching. Collins sounds like Schwarber sort of (really good bat) but better at catching no?

Strictly a 1B/DH

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
Is Collins a polished hitter?

It's probably a pipe dream, but it'd be nice to land a bat that is developed enough to put in the lineup during the stretch run this year.

He's hitting .425/.587/.726 and has walked 48 times. He's a LHH with plus power potential and great on-base skills. He's also improved enough defensively that scouts think he can stay behind the plate. He'd be a great pick at #10 because he offers the kind of on-base skills that the White Sox simply don't have anywhere in their system.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
He's hitting .425/.587/.726 and has walked 48 times. He's a LHH with plus power potential and great on-base skills. He's also improved enough defensively that scouts think he can stay behind the plate. He'd be a great pick at #10 because he offers the kind of on-base skills that the White Sox simply don't have anywhere in their system.

He might be the best pure hitter in the Draft. I would love him, Senzel or Lewis. Teams are kicking themselves for not drafting Schwarber, Collins is in that same vein.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
He might be the best pure hitter in the Draft. I would love him, Senzel or Lewis. Teams are kicking themselves for not drafting Schwarber, Collins is in that same vein.

I think you might be overrating him a bit.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 4, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
I think you might be overrating him a bit.

Collins has produced a much better line this year than Schwarber did when he was drafted. Very solid chance he becomes a nice hitter at the next level.

Collins .417/.580/.713

Schwarber .358/.464/.659

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Can't link it but Keith Law in his chat today said he thinks Sox might be on Collins

Thanks man. I'll check that out. I think you can though now, no? Aren't his chats on the meadow party.com now instead of the website?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Can't link it but Keith Law in his chat today said he thinks Sox might be on Collins

Could we get Collins below slot and use our sandwich pick on a high ceiling HS player?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Could we get Collins below slot and use our sandwich pick on a high ceiling HS player?

Doubt 10 would be a bargain pick for him, as Oakland at 6 is interested as well

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)
Thanks man. I'll check that out. I think you can though now, no? Aren't his chats on the meadow party.com now instead of the website?

Yeah, an error popped up on the site just when I was going to link it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)

Schwarber went 4th overall behind Brady Aiken (Who turned into Alex Bregman), Tyler Kolek, and Carlos Rodon.. I don't think anyone is kicking themselves for not drafting Schwarber..

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Baseball America gave us Corey Ray in their most recent mock. I would be shocked if he's still on the board at 10.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-...XQu1HDq1pcl3.97

They gave the Sox Corey Ray at #10 and LHP Erik Lauer from Kent State at #26.

1. Phillies-AJ Puk LHP

2. Reds-Kyle Lewis OF Mercer

3. Braves- Riley Pint RHP

4. Rockies- Mickey Moniak OF

5. Brewers- Jason Groome LHP

6. Athletics-Nick Senzel 3B Tennessee

7. Marlins- Delvin Perez SS Puerto Rico

8. Padres- Joey Wentz LHP

9. Tigers-Dakota Hudson RHP Miss State

10. White Sox- Corey Ray OF Louisville

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would take Collins over Ray. Both are good prospects and if one is gone by the time the Sox draft I'd be ok with the other.

That said, Collins' combo of strong hit and power tools, the best plate discipline in the draft, and the potential to play a premium position is just too good to pass up IMO. It also concerns me that Ray is hitting 9 points below Louisville's team average and has an OBP 25 points under avg. Collins, on the other hand, on a more elite program is hitting 107 points with an OBP 170(!) points above Miami's. While I realize that Ray is a much better prospect than Mitchell, Thompson, et al, I've grown very leery of toolsy outfielders with question marks around their ability to get on base...call it the KW Syndrome.

I also wonder if Collins could move to 3rd if he can't stick at catcher. Even if he can't, a lefty power bat who draws walks...when's the last time we've had that kind of prospect in our system? Ventura maybe?

Anyone have any college senior favorites for rounds 10+?

I'd like to follow Reggie McClain from Mizzou in the minors. I'm interested to see where Ryan Howard goes as well.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
Schwarber went 4th overall behind Brady Aiken (Who turned into Alex Bregman), Tyler Kolek, and Carlos Rodon.. I don't think anyone is kicking themselves for not drafting Schwarber..

Big brain fart by me. But he was rated by a lot of the major publications in the 20s IIRC for top draft prospects, mainly because he was all bat with questionable defensive abilities and no clear position.