2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
It keeps coming up in my mind too. I think because we've had so so many breaks the last few years that we expect to get our guy. Unforunately were probably too far down the pecking order this year.

I believe I am on the record in previous year's threads as saying very early I felt we would get Rodon and then Fulmer, and they both happened. Rodon was a big shock (When I said it, consensus slam dunk #1), although I think Fulmer was projected withing range of the Sox pick, maybe around #5 though. Corey Ray, as of now, seems around the Rodon likelihood, but probably not as likely as Fulmer was.

It means nothing obviously, but I want to be on record for the 3rd straight year. :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 11:44 PM)
I would be, SEC teams are crushing him

Haven't been checking out his box scores as of late but the press is still pretty high on him still. I hope the Sox grab him at #26

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
Who are we taking this year JoeCool? Fill us in! Why wait til June when resident JoeCool has all the answers!

More importantly, what nicknames has joecool bestowed upon them? HoT FiRe baby!!!!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Certainly a possibility with #27 & #49 picks. Though Hansen was a far better prospect at his height than Beck ever was.

What if they ended up with both Puk and Hansen?

I think the pick at ten is going to be one of the prep players, I'm hoping for Nolan Jones.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 11:57 PM)
I believe I am on the record in previous year's threads as saying very early I felt we would get Rodon and then Fulmer, and they both happened. Rodon was a big shock (When I said it, consensus slam dunk #1), although I think Fulmer was projected withing range of the Sox pick, maybe around #5 though. Corey Ray, as of now, seems around the Rodon likelihood, but probably not as likely as Fulmer was.

It means nothing obviously, but I want to be on record for the 3rd straight year. :)

I don't know why I agree with this, because it shouldn't happen, but maybe Rick Hahn has kidnapped a leprechaun.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
Jones is so Miami I don't even see him getting to us. Rutherford, another candidate at #7 for Miami, would be welcomed by me at #10 if he gets there. Great bat-to-ball skills from the left side. Hostetler talked about the need for more contact guys and the fact that they won't be afraid to go with high school guys. Both good indicators for a guy like Rutherford.

Rutherford screams Miami to me.

I agree that the Sox need to prioritize contact more in the amateur scouting both domestic and international.

I guess the easy comp on Jones is Corey Seager, I think Jones is a better athlete than Seager and can handle the glove better too. Jones hit tool is very real but if I were to draft him I would put him at third, so he can just focus on the bat.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)
Yeah I don't see anyway Jones sticks at SS with his frame but I was saying the same thing about Seager when he was drafted. Seager is the biggest SS ever I believe though.

Nolan Jones' has a similar body to Kris Bryant

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
That article is a lot more bullish on Zach Collins' defense than I've seen. I think he'll get drafted earlier than expected and go underslot. Both the A's and the Sox look like teams that could possibly do that.

I'd take Collins at #10 in a heartbeat. Lefty bat, improved all 3 years at a major program, solid hit tool, plus power, improving defense and excellent plate discipline. I'd take that if he was strictly a corner infielder, much less someone who could potentially catch.

In fact, now that I think about it...you could have used almost exactly the same profile on Schwarber coming out of college. I don't think Collins is as good as Schwarber, but to have at least a somewhat similar comp...not bad at all.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
I'd take Collins at #10 in a heartbeat. Lefty bat, improved all 3 years at a major program, solid hit tool, plus power, improving defense and excellent plate discipline. I'd take that if he was strictly a corner infielder, much less someone who could potentially catch.

In fact, now that I think about it...you could have used almost exactly the same profile on Schwarber coming out of college. I don't think Collins is as good as Schwarber, but to have at least a somewhat similar comp...not bad at all.

Sounds good to me. Honestly, as long as it's BPA, I don't care who they take. Even another pitcher. This organization develops it well. I'm hoping for a bat though.

I have no player preferences, just parameters.

1)No relievers in the first 10 rounds; that is clown drafting. Starters can be turned into relievers if secondaries don't develop.

2) No reaches paid full slot.

3)with 3 picks in the first 50 or so, do try to use one of those under-slot, to get another top talent to pay over-slot.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
I have no player preferences, just parameters.

1)No relievers in the first 10 rounds; that is clown drafting. Starters can be turned into relievers if secondaries don't develop.

2) No reaches paid full slot.

3)with 3 picks in the first 50 or so, do try to use one of those under-slot, to get another top talent to pay over-slot.

With a first pick at #10, it is much harder to pull off a underslot signing that adds something meaningful to use later. Last year the #10 pick was a $3.2 million slot. What can you realistically save there without a pretty big overdraft? That is much easier in the top few slots to do, where you have a lot more slot value to worth with. IMO the only way this really would work is if there was an injured SP falling, who was willing to sign underslot, or was such a value at your slot price that he was worth the chance.