2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
Callis said on the SSS podcast that Hahn or Hostetler (sp?) went to go see him last week and he went 0 for 4 with 3 Ks and looked awful. Said it doesn't mean they are sour on him, but late impressions tend to stick and could make them shy away. Didn't seem to have any other reasons other than that.

This reminds me of the story of the 1983 NFL Draft for the Chiefs (as a KC fan, yuck). They had a pre daft workout with Dan Marino. It went rough, he didn't do too well and cussed and fussed while working out. Their owner didn't like that and they proceeded to take Todd Blackledge instead LOL. That still chaps my ass to this day. Point is one outing doesn't mean a thing. It should sway you if you really like the player. Everyone has an off day. Now this isn't exactly the same thing but just something that came to mind.

Edited by SouthSideSale

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mocks are really all over the place. This one has the White Sox taking Moniak with Rutherford still on the board. Most mock drafts have both of these guys taken fairly early in the top ten. I've even seen Moniak projected 1.1 in at least one mock. Who knows at this point?

MyMLBDraft

Keith Law just tweeted in response to someone that noted Callis*(?) just put out 60 tools across the board for Ray, that while Ray is his favorite in the class he's more likely to be a LFer.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
1.) PHI- Puk/Moniak

2.) CIN - Senzel/Puk/Lewis

3.) ATL - Lewis/Senzel/Ray/Groome/Pint/Rutherford/Moniak

4.) COL - Moniak/Pint/Lewis

5.) MIL - Perez/Ray/Pint/Groome/Lowe

6.) OAK - Groome/Senzel/Lewis/Moniak

7.) MIA - Garrett/Pint/Whitley

8.) SD - Pint/Quantrill/Sheffield//Hudson/Manning

9.) DET - Ray/Hudson/Manning

10.) CHW - Rutherford/Ray/Dunn

11.) SEA - Dunn

12.) BOS - Jones/Dunn/Anderson

Puk stops at 2.

Senzel stops at 6.

Pint stops at 8.

Dunn stops at 11.

This is just my opinion, all things considered. The bolded are the teams that are total crapshoots to me.

It's encouraging only really seeing Rutherford linked to one location prior to the 10th pick (and I really dont see him going to ATL). I think your breakdowns look pretty spot on. If I had to take a swing at how this ends up going down, I think it plays out like:

1.) PHI - Puk

2.) CIN - Senzel

3.) ATL - Lewis

4.) COR - Pint

5.) MIL - Ray

6.) OAK - Groome

7.) MIA - Garrett

8.) SD - Perez

9.) DET - Hudson or Manning

10.) CHI - Rutherford

Edited by Dunt

If Corey Ray goes to the Brewers and becomes an All-Star, that will give Phil Rogers another decade's worth of material to write about another local player like Puckett/Granderson/Floyd/Kipnis/Zobrist making it big and not ending up with either the Cubs or White Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
It's going to be interesting. I think the top tier of players is 9 deep. It's the first 8 you have listed + Rutherford. That's just my opinion. I know the Sox prefer Rutherford to Moniak.

I got a guy who says Atlanta is flooding the big writers with info on the college bats but they very well may be going high school. He says they've been scouting both Rutherford and Yellich heavily even though it hasn't been reported. Other whisper is that they love Pint. Preller too has been scouting both heavily HS Cali guys too.

Christian Yellich and Rutherford grew up in the same neighborhood and Yellich's mom has a relationship with ATL's personnel FWIW. There's a camp in their brain trust that calls Rutherford "Yellich with power." Which is an annual all star in theory.

Without a doubt, Yelich is a nice, nice player. Add some power to his repetoire and you got a superstar. I really cant wait for Thursday. My wife and I have a flight out of Ohare the next morning at 6 AM and I told her my entire Thursday night would be spent watching the draft. With my enthusiasm for the major league team completely flatlining, it's nice to be this excited for something else.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
It's not (well Im guess it could be), I just made that up because I found the question funny.

It was a rhetorical question, attempting (failed obviously) to point out that Ray's numbers are not that impressive. At least for a top 10 pick.

Hoping for Justin Dunn in round 2 and Matthias Dietz somewhere after round 2. He's a local product and can hit 97, 98, he's also big at 6'6, 220. I think he projects better as a reliever than a starter in the majors.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
It's going to be interesting. I think the top tier of players is 9 deep. It's the first 8 you have listed + Rutherford. That's just my opinion. I know the Sox prefer Rutherford to Moniak.

I got a guy who says Atlanta is flooding the big writers with info on the college bats but they very well may be going high school. He says they've been scouting both Rutherford and Yellich heavily even though it hasn't been reported. Other whisper is that they love Pint. Preller too has been scouting both heavily HS Cali guys too.

Christian Yellich and Rutherford grew up in the same neighborhood and Yellich's mom has a relationship with ATL's personnel FWIW. There's a camp in their brain trust that calls Rutherford "Yellich with power." Which is an annual all star in theory.

I think Moniak is better than Rutherford, while Rutherford will always have more power than Moniak, I think Moniak is better than Rutherford everywhere else, not to mention he plays center field at a plus level. I know KW loves guys who (project to) hit for power, that why be why the Sox prefer him to Moniak.

The San Diego area has been turning out some great players as of late like Moniak and Aiken to name a couple.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Worth noting that he has Groome falling to CLE at 14. Bonus demands and recent talks of JUCO as leverage. Rutherford at 19 because of bonus demands. Also Delvin Perez slipping out of the 1st round entirely.

What happened with Perez? Lat i saw he was top 5 pick?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Callis article on tough signs, Groome/JUCO, and the possibility that the Braves are looking to cut a deal at 3.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/182564040/dr...picid=151437456

Interesting. This could mean another year of sliding talent for the White Sox, in a year where they have the extra pick at 26 to take advantage of it. Hopefully it all works out.