5/2 Games

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 12:05 AM)
Maybe you should interview all the managers about what they believe the job of a major league manager really is in 2015.

That would be interesting.

And how it differs from the minors (development vs. winning).

I asked Skinner about that last thing in bolded when I interviewed him, so you'll see that this coming week. I also asked that same question of Tommy Thompson and Ryan Newman on past visits if you want to read their takes. Scroll to bottom for the managers in each article. Newman went into more detail on that one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
I asked Joel Skinner about that after the game. Sanchez has been playing 2B most of the time, plus 2 games at short. Skinner answered carefully, but he indicated Sanchez would play SS and 3B at least occasionally.

What he didn't say though, but that others did, is that they don't want to sit Davidson much. Matt didn't have a great game today, but his defense is much-improved and his hitting is showing some positive signs, so I think they want to ride that out. Makes it tough to get Sanchez 3B time.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
I asked Skinner about that last thing in bolded when I interviewed him, so you'll see that this coming week. I also asked that same question of Tommy Thompson and Ryan Newman on past visits if you want to read their takes. Scroll to bottom for the managers in each article. Newman went into more detail on that one.

Thanks.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 2, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
It's not saying much with our s***ty team but Johnson has been one of the few bright spots, IMO. I love the way he plays the game. If Sanchez can play 3B at least as well as Gillaspie I would look at that

I agree, Micah has to continue to play. Now, Sanchez is certainly tearing up AAA, again, it's AAA. His huge numbers are being aided by Charlotte's ballpark (1.334 OPS at home versus .587 on road). Not trying to take away from Sanchez, but he still does not walk a lot and his power, to me, looks like AAA power not ML power. He certainly can be a solid ML 2B, an above-average guy who you can put in the line-up every day. Micah, while the floor is certainly lower, can be one of the best 2B in the game.

He just needs to be allowed to struggle and get consistent at-bats.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 3, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
Makes me wonder what Sox could get for Alexi, or has that ship sailed?

Still signed for a reasonable $10 million for next year (team option), so if he could get back on track, he definitely would have some value. Probably could get a borderline top 100 prospect for him and maybe a couple low-level pieces, too.

But of course this presupposes, he hasn't just lost it. But if he were playing at the rate he did last year, there is definitely some value in 3-WAR shortstop.