5/5 Tigers at White Sox

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 5, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
No, it's called I don't care about the stat. I know Avi won't be hitting .340 and probably not even hit .290. But currently he has been our best hitter average wise the last 10 or so games. Trust me, I know his average is going to drop a lot, I would be happy if he ended up hitting over .270 for the year.

I don't need a stupid stat to tell me he won't hit .330+ for the year, that is just common sense by watching him hit

Why take issue with me then? All I said he's he's currently hitting .340 and worth 0.0 WAR and that I worry about his value when that inevitably crashes. The only differences are that you use your "common sense" and I use my "stupid stat" to foresee that decline, and that you'd be happy with him hitting .270 and I think he'd be a total liability at anything close to that if nothing else changes.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Again, aren't you going into baseball? Wouldn't a metric with predictive value have utility for your career when evaluating the fruit of your labor?

EDIT: Just because you don't understand something that doesn't make it stupid.

Taking my ball and going home!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
No, it's called I don't care about the stat. I know Avi won't be hitting .340 and probably not even hit .290. But currently he has been our best hitter average wise the last 10 or so games. Trust me, I know his average is going to drop a lot, I would be happy if he ended up hitting over .270 for the year.

I don't need a stupid stat to tell me he won't hit .330+ for the year, that is just common sense by watching him hit

Dude why argue? You ain't gonna win. No matter what. Its metrics or the highway with him... I say the same WHO CARES

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Again, aren't you going into baseball? Wouldn't a metric with predictive value have utility for your career when evaluating the fruit of your labor?

EDIT: Just because you don't understand something that doesn't make it stupid.

I'm not going into that.

I do understand the stat. I'm not an advanced stat guy, what is so wrong with that? I think it is an irrelevant stat. I feel like I can watch the game and see how a player is hitting the ball (how hard he is hitting, what his base hits are like, etc.) and tell if he will hit well or if his average will sustain or not.

I know a lot of people now like advanced stats but I just don't.

The definitive word on Avisail's BABIP

2h3d8j9.png

Not as inflated as you might think. Line drives aren't luck except to the extent that you get to make your own luck.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
The definitive word on Avisail's BABIP

2h3d8j9.png

Not as inflated as you might think. Line drives aren't luck except to the extent that you get to make your own luck.

Nah, high line-drive rates aren't sustainable, their year-to-year correlation is the worst among the most common hitting metrics, and they tend to regress to career average. A look at how hard he's hitting the ball indicates that he's not hitting it harder than his career averages, suggesting a lot of softly and medium-hit line drives, which will start to dry up soon.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 5, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
The whole point of this is that the statistic tells you it's due to drop. You're essentially saying "I don't understand why this high thing is about to become lower so I'll say it's good when it's high and bad when it's low".

Some people don't give a rat's arse about that. You're just basically raining on our parade of seeing the one Sox player with a high BA. Let us enjoy the one good high average guy while it last. Yes it's due to drop thank u very much . All we hear is this guy is sucking and the one guy not sucking you're saying wait he will suck.

Some of you guys just can't just watch and enjoy the game because it's baseball and the Sox. That's enough for some of us without repeatedly hearing it's a mirage.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
Some people don't give a rat's arse about that. You're just basically raining on our parade of seeing the one Sox player with a high BA. Let us enjoy the one good high average guy while it last. Yes it's due to drop thank u very much . All we hear is this guy is sucking and the one guy not sucking you're saying wait he will suck.

Some of you guys just can't just watch and enjoy the game because it's baseball and the Sox. That's enough for some of us without repeatedly hearing it's a mirage.

:headbang

Basically what he said

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)

What makes you say I'm not enjoying Avi hitting .340? In fact I think I'm enjoying it even more because I know it's lucky.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 5, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)

Thank you!!!! HELL OF A POST!

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
It all evens out though. For instance, we should see plenty of improvement from Adam Eaton who could serve as a catalyst for the offense in front of Melky/Abreu/LaRoche. That'd better serve us than Avi hitting singles in front of the crappy bottom of the order.

If the guys you mentioned above start getting one base more those Avi singles will turn into Avi RBI singles.

Nobody expects Eaton to hit under .200 all year, that is just baseball. Players slump, run into bad luck, get really lucky, see the ball well at times, etc. The game is full of streaks. That is why we all love the game.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
It all evens out though. For instance, we should see plenty of improvement from Adam Eaton who could serve as a catalyst for the offense in front of Melky/Abreu/LaRoche. That'd better serve us than Avi hitting singles in front of the crappy bottom of the order.

And again you're not telling most of us something we don't already know. I have been watching baseball for close to 50 yrs and not casually watching . Carefully watching. The guys sucking now will get better and guys doing well will drop but I take no enjoyment thinking I'm so smart to predict that. It's baseball 101 until a guy like Avi puts in a few more years so we can get a clearer picture of what to expect from him.