5/5 Tigers at White Sox

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
Sure, but I just prefer to look at the game from a more nuanced point of view. There are metrics and ulterior indicators available that can stimulate a better understanding of the game. I use them, others don't. I am not faulting fans for not taking the time to understand these things. Everyone's got a busy life of their own.

And I prefer to watch the game and not use advanced stats. We all have our ways. I understand why people like using those metrics but I just don't and I don't think they are all stupid. Mainly just BABIP because I feel like it is a stat telling me how lucky or unlucky a hitter is getting with his balls in play

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Nah, high line-drive rates aren't sustainable, their year-to-year correlation is the worst among the most common hitting metrics, and they tend to regress to career average.

This is true, though that doesn't mean that a person "lucks" in or out of line drives. It's just that there's 180 degrees, vertically, where a player can hit a ball. The bottom 90 is all in the ground ball bucket. From 20 to 50 (above parallel to the ground) is the fly ball bucket. Above 50 is popups. Liners fall into the 5 to 20 bucket. Even if you assume that the vast majority fit in the the middle 90 degrees of the the 180 possible, you have 50% of possible directions going to GB, 33.3% to FB, 16.7% to LD, and 5.6% to popups. Interestingly, these figures are really close to league averages. So of the three major batted ball outcomes, the only way you wouldn't have much more variation in LD compared to the others is if players were much more consistent in their LD% than any other type of outcome, which clearly isn't true.

A look at how hard he's hitting the ball indicates that he's not hitting it harder than his career averages, suggesting a lot of softly and medium-hit line drives, which will start to dry up soon.

The soft/medium/hard stats are all relative to the batted ball type. So the exit speed of a "hard" grounder may be a "medium" liner and so on. That his hard% is high indicates that he's not hitting a bunch of flared liners.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
When Jeff's throw to first base first came out of his hand, it looked like it was going into the 20th row

Agreed, that had a weird trajectory