5/7 Games

flavum

Nick Basto has been terrible this year. He was terrible up through 2013 too. Seemed to jump all of a sudden in 2014, but now back at the same level he's hitting .112 and striking out about 40% of the time.

Dan Black meanwhile now at 25 games straight reaching base. OPS still north of 1.000.

Michalczewski has been slowly improving. 9 games straight on base, .776 OPS in that time, K rate down to 21.6%. Small moves, but there it is.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
There's our Trout level athlete.

It's actually not a bad comp physically. Clearly he won't be Trout, but they are built very similarly, have similar speed and athleticism despite the muscle mass, and that is an unusual combo. Engel's power ceiling and hit tool aren't nearly Trout-level of course. And I love that Engel is keeping the K's at bay, unlike the rest of the toolsy outfield crowd in the system.

I'm guessing Engel will move up the charts quite a bit this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
It's actually not a bad comp physically. Clearly he won't be Trout, but they are built very similarly, have similar speed and athleticism despite the muscle mass, and that is an unusual combo. Engel's power ceiling and hit tool aren't nearly Trout-level of course. And I love that Engel is keeping the K's at bay, unlike the rest of the toolsy outfield crowd in the system.

if he can continue on his offense production this yr, i would gladly eat more crow.....

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Anderson's average and OPS in free fall mode. He needs to do something more at the plate than just a single a game.

I'm not as concerned about the lack of power - he's got raw power to spare. I'm more concerned about the K's and complete lack of walks. He'll need to get more selective if he wants to succeed at higher levels. I'm guessing this year in AA he's going to learn that lesson - his natural hit tool (which is big time) won't carry him by itself.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)

At want point is he brought up to AA at least. He is 23 already

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
At want point is he brought up to AA at least. He is 23 already

People keep saying this. Look at the average ages, and the typical development curves. He was in A+ at 22 last year, and he's likely to be in AA this year at 23. That is decidedly not old for level, even for a real prospect. This isn't a high school draftee with 4-5 years in either. He's fine age-wise and developmental curve-wise.

If you are comparing him to phenoms, then sure, he's behind their curve age-wise. But they also were mostly high school types or LatAm types that were in the system in their teens. Engel isn't going to be a phenom. Compare his progress to regular starters in the majors that were college draftees. He's where he should be.

If he is in AA this year at 23 as I think he will be (and likely pretty soon, as other than May and Hawkins there are no other real outfield prospects in BHAM, then on that track he'd likely be in AAA at 24.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
People keep saying this. Look at the average ages, and the typical development curves. He was in A+ at 22 last year, and he's likely to be in AA this year at 23. That is decidedly not old for level, even for a real prospect. This isn't a high school draftee with 4-5 years in either. He's fine age-wise and developmental curve-wise.

If you are comparing him to phenoms, then sure, he's behind their curve age-wise. But they also were mostly high school types or LatAm types that were in the system in their teens. Engel isn't going to be a phenom. Compare his progress to regular starters in the majors that were college draftees. He's where he should be.

If he is in AA this year at 23 as I think he will be (and likely pretty soon, as other than May and Hawkins there are no other real outfield prospects in BHAM, then on that track he'd likely be in AAA at 24.

I don't think he is behind any curve especially if he gets to AA by mid year. I was curious what you thought the organization would do with him, thanks!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 7, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I don't think he is behind any curve especially if he gets to AA by mid year. I was curious what you thought the organization would do with him, thanks!

No worries. I'd be legitimately surprised if he isn't in AA by July. And probably sooner.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)

His bat was also considered raw coming out of college, and he still struggles a bit with strikeouts at times. I would rather have him take as much time as he needs to work on his swing and not throw him into the wolves, as we mentioned over and over again, the A+ to AA jump is far too significant.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 8, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)
His bat was also considered raw coming out of college, and he still struggles a bit with strikeouts at times. I would rather have him take as much time as he needs to work on his swing and not throw him into the wolves, as we mentioned over and over again, the A+ to AA jump is far too significant.

that is a great point, if the org gets a good prospect, maybe not in the high picks of a draft, develop them or him, to cost is worth it. instead of getting some of these players and put them thru a cookie cutter programs.

i can see how the sox will pick up some of these players thru waiver and what is worth to spend some developmental time to find a gem. yeah, some can't be developed as hope, but it is worth a shot.