132 runs allowed (4.89 avg)

Starting pitchers-

12 quality starts

147.33 innings, 5.25 ERA

Bullpen-

89 innings, 3.44 ERA

Hitting slash-

.247/.303/.360/.663

It was a bad month, but a bad month doesn't make a season. And it easily could have been worse.

They need to have 5 months of 15-12 to win 86 games, and that may win a wild card this season.

It's not over yet. I think this team is capable of going 75-60 starting today.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 10, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
We're into May and still suck. They need to turn it around quickly.

I look at 27 games as a month of games. They have five months of games left starting today.

And yes, they do need to get hot right now. The next 14 games before the 11-game road trip are crucial to go 9-5, at minimum.

I can buy 1 bad month.

I can't see the starting pitching being this bad all year. Hopefully yesterday gets Lexi going, and Eaton has to get it going at some point too right?...Right?

Fun fact, the world champion Giants had a 10-16 month last year. Royals had a 12-17 month.

Edited by scs787

This team is under 500 with flowers, micah , and Connors defense. Way too many errors and miscues. This team needs a fast lead off man, Gordon at 3b, a defensive catcher, and Sanchez at 2b. They need to manufacture more runs at top of order, having Eaton on 1b or bases empty is killing this team. Cabrera and abreu should have 2x the rbis. If the top of order gets going , you can win a with Beckham's offense over gillaspies. Micah needs more time in minors, flowers will never be able to throw out a base stealer or stop pitches. Conor is a 1b/dh who should platoon with laroche or be a bench bat.

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (b-Rye @ May 10, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
This team is under 500 with flowers, micah , and Connors defense. Way too many errors and miscues. This team needs a fast lead off man, Gordon at 3b, a defensive catcher, and Sanchez at 2b. They need to manufacture more runs at top of order, having Eaton on 1b or bases empty is killing this team. Cabrera and abreu should have 2x the rbis. If the top of order gets going , you can win a with Beckham's offense over gillaspies. Micah needs more time in minors, flowers will never be able to throw out a base stealer or stop pitches. Conor is a 1b/dh who should platoon with laroche or be a bench bat.

Why does Micah need more time in the minors exactly? Other than a complete lack of power, his offensive numbers aren't bad and he hasn't looked overmatched IMO. Defensively, I actually think playing alongside a professional like Alexei may be better for his development. It takes time to turn prospects into quality major leaguers and Micah appears to be on the right path. I have no reason to believe Carlos wouldn't require a similar learning curve, which we somewhat saw last year.

And through all that, they're just 4 back in the wild card. The 2nd spot currently being owned by the Twins.

Are we really buying the Twins?

After the Twins are the Rays, who the Sox are 3 back of, and just lost their 2nd SP for the year.

Sox are just 2 games or less behind the rest of the bunch.

12-16 doesn't look good, but sans the top 4 teams, the AL is looking like the NBA Eastern conference.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Month 2 is in the books, and 14-13 is better, but not good enough.

The Indians started 10-17, and they came back with a 16-11.

-54 run diff after 54.

196 runs scored. 3.63 run average.

They pretty much have to be the best team in the AL the rest of the season to make the postseason. Ain't happening.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 11, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
And through all that, they're just 4 back in the wild card. The 2nd spot currently being owned by the Twins.

Are we really buying the Twins?

After the Twins are the Rays, who the Sox are 3 back of, and just lost their 2nd SP for the year.

Sox are just 2 games or less behind the rest of the bunch.

12-16 doesn't look good, but sans the top 4 teams, the AL is looking like the NBA Eastern conference.

I'm not buying the Twins, but the Twins own the Sox. That's why they are in first, their utter dominance of Chicago. I love all the optimistic posts, but like Rongey said, til the Sox show excellence for a 2 to 2 1/2 week span, they are what they are, last place team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Well, Month 2 is in the books, and 14-13 is better, but not good enough.

The Indians started 10-17, and they came back with a 16-11.

-54 run diff after 54.

196 runs scored. 3.63 run average.

They pretty much have to be the best team in the AL the rest of the season to make the postseason. Ain't happening.

They just need an 8/10, 10/13 kind of run to be right back in the juicy thick of things. Shark we needja tmrw man.

The experts are as confused abou the Sox performance as we are. You hear the that alot on the TV baseball broadcasts. They all point out that this team has talent and hasn't performed but yet are still hanging close enough the challenge

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
Yep, still just 4 back in the Wild Card...

Not really. They are 4 back with 5 teams in front of them. If they were the 3rd team in wildcard chase they would be 4 games out. There is a factor when teams are in the same division which I think is 4 games per team and 2 games per team when it is interdivision.

If the White Sox won 4 straight, 6 teams would have to lose 4 straight for them to be tied for the wildcard. So realistically they are about 8-12 games out.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
Not really. They are 4 back with 5 teams in front of them. If they were the 3rd team in wildcard chase they would be 4 games out. There is a factor when teams are in the same division which I think is 4 games per team and 2 games per team when it is interdivision.

If the White Sox won 4 straight, 6 teams would have to lose 4 straight for them to be tied for the wildcard. So realistically they are about 8-12 games out.

That is not right.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
That is not right.

I will simplify for you. If a team is 4 games behind 1 team, they only have to win 4 straight while the other team loses 4 straight to tie. If a team is 4 games behind 2 teams then the odds of both teams losing 4 straight is greater. If the other two teams are playing each other it is impossible. So for each team added to the equation the odds are greater. Thus when you are 4 games out in the wildcard behind 6 teams, in reality you are farther out than 4 games.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
I will simplify for you. If a team is 4 games behind 1 team, they only have to win 4 straight while the other team loses 4 straight to tie. If a team is 4 games behind 2 teams then the odds of both teams losing 4 straight is greater. If the other two teams are playing each other it is impossible. So for each team added to the equation the odds are greater. Thus when you are 4 games out in the wildcard behind 6 teams, in reality you are farther out than 4 games.

I get it but this isn't the last few weeks of the season. There are 100 games left. There's so much mediocrity in the teams ahead of the Sox it ain't even funny. TB, NYY, Boston, Baltimore, Minnesota, Cle, Houston etc. I still think we're better than all those teams if we get our baseball head out of our baseball ass.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
I get it but this isn't the last few weeks of the season. There are 100 games left. There's so much mediocrity in the teams ahead of the Sox it ain't even funny. TB, NYY, Boston, Baltimore, Minnesota, Cle, Houston etc. I still think we're better than all those teams if we get our baseball head out of our baseball ass.

We have so many optimistic posts. Sox just let another lousy team rejuvenate its season. Detroit takes 2 of 3 in Chicago after coming in having lost 7 in a row. Sox are a joke ... still.

Wake us up when the Sox are five over .500. Then we'll talk.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)

I don't need it simplified. Your statement was incorrect. The Sox weren't (at the time) 4 games behind 6 teams, they were 4 games behind TEX, 3.5 behind TB, 2.5 DET, 2 behind LA, 1.5 behind CLE, and .5 behind TOR. If the Sox had won 4 straight, some of those teams could have won games and the Sox would still have passed them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
We have so many optimistic posts. Sox just let another lousy team rejuvenate its season. Detroit takes 2 of 3 in Chicago after coming in having lost 7 in a row. Sox are a joke ... still.

Wake us up when the Sox are five over .500. Then we'll talk.

Too many people wearing rose-colored glasses around here.

There's no reason at all to believe that this team is suddenly going to go on a major run and play .600+ baseball for an extended period. I'll have to see it to believe it.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Too many people wearing rose-colored glasses around here.

There's no reason at all to believe that this team is suddenly going to go on a major run and play .600+ baseball for an extended period. I'll have to see it to believe it.

Yea the season is in the toilet. Unless they rip off 20/30 now, they aren't going to turn it around. I see stuff like "well in 1984" or "one time this awful team turned it around" -- well yea, but how about the countless teams that were bad in June that were bad the rest of the year?

The Mariners and White Sox have to be neck and neck for most disappointing offense.