Sox low price ticket promotion a loss for taxpayers

caulfield12

Sox ticket promotion a loss for Sports Facilities Authority - Chicago Tribune

As a way to boost attendance for low-demand weekday games and track customer habits, the White Sox rolled out the Ballpark Pass program that allowed fans to see 11 games for $29. Why $29? The Chicago Tribune has an idea:

The Ballpark Pass was a chance to watch weekday baseball during April and May this season for merely $2.64 per game. Three hours before a first pitch, fans who purchase the plan learn seat locations via their smartphones.

But the multigame package might not bring savings for a less visible presence at U.S. Cellular Field: taxpayers.

The Sox, under an agreement with the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, the public agency that owns The Cell, are required to pay a fee on each ticket sold beyond 1,930,000 in paid attendance. But that "ticket threshold," according to the agreement, excludes tickets that are given to sponsors or sold for less than $3.

It might not be quite the coup as building ChiSox Bar & Grill and the Chicago Sports Depot on the state's dime, but it's still a victory for the Sox, who have a Harlem Globetrotters-Washington Generals relationship with that patsy known as Fine Print.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/5/10/8581...p-up-in-the-air

Tax subsidies for sports teams are almost never a good investment for taxpayers and although an "indirect subsidy" this setup seems a particularly egregious example. I'm sure the locals can fill in the blanks how exactly did such a deal come to fruition? What son did JR promise to marry off?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 11, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Tax subsidies for sports teams are almost never a good investment for taxpayers and although an "indirect subsidy" this setup seems a particularly egregious example. I'm sure the locals can fill in the blanks how exactly did such a deal come to fruition? What son did JR promise to marry off?

i think everyone knows that this was one charm sweetheart deal the sox got, look what happen when the northsiders tried to get something similar.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 11, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
i think everyone knows that this was one charm sweetheart deal the sox got, look what happen when the northsiders tried to get something similar.

Sweetheart deal without a doubt, but they had something the Cubs did not. A viable alternative. The Cubs had zero leverage.

This promotion by the White Sox didn't cost the taxpayers anything. They distribute tickets that would have been unsold anyway. And at $29 or $49 per package, and limited packages available, it's not like they are making millions on this. It may inspire some to go to more games later, which would actually help the taxpayers' cause.

I haven't seen one article crying about taxpayers with the Wrigley renovation. The Cubs got $8.5 million in property tax breaks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Sweetheart deal without a doubt, but they had something the Cubs did not. A viable alternative. The Cubs had zero leverage.

This promotion by the White Sox didn't cost the taxpayers anything. They distribute tickets that would have been unsold anyway. And at $29 or $49 per package, and limited packages available, it's not like they are making millions on this. It may inspire some to go to more games later, which would actually help the taxpayers' cause.

I haven't seen one article crying about taxpayers with the Wrigley renovation. The Cubs got $8.5 million in property tax breaks.

first, re the bold, i really didn't know that. i thought they got squack. thanks for the info.

second, i just love the way the mayor's office answered the request. classic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 11, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
By surrounding the park in concrete the Sox really cant even make the argument that they're the driving economic force in the neighborhood. The Chairman really got everything and more.

in some remote way, the st and the city will make money.

i love the idea of free promo to help bring in more fans. hell make it a family nite with free parking.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 11, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)

If they aren't going to move out of state, and not replaced, I would agree, but the state does make money on White Sox employees and other teams' players by taxing them the now 3.5% of the portion of money they made. It does create jobs, again, those people all have to pay state taxes, and this was financed by a hotel tax which theoretically puts the cost on visitors. You have to figure they ultimately got their money back.

There IMO, is a better place to spend the hotel tax than financing stadiums, but utimately, the state isn't taking a bath on this even though Reinsdorf has quite the deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
If they aren't going to move out of state, and not replaced, I would agree, but the state does make money on White Sox employees and other teams' players by taxing them the now 3.5% of the portion of money they made. It does create jobs, again, those people all have to pay state taxes, and this was financed by a hotel tax which theoretically puts the cost on visitors. You have to figure they ultimately got their money back.

There IMO, is a better place to spend the hotel tax than financing stadiums, but utimately, the state isn't taking a bath on this even though Reinsdorf has quite the deal.

excellent.

:drink

i feel like the song "Money" from pink floyd should be playing in the background on this thread.

Edited by LDF