5/11 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 11, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
Jordan Guerrero is a stud.

Yeah, and FIND A WAY to promote Eddy Alvarez, instead of making him the only prospect in Sox history to be promoted too slowly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
Dude reached all five times up today. 2-2, 3 BB, also 3 SB.

i just read this stats for this morning. what a game plus 3 bb's on top of the hitting stats.

jeez what to do with him???

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
Needs to be moved up to the next level. Start playing him in different positions maybe? Could be a great utility guy

i am for trying him at 3b...

plus i think he should have the leg endurance for catching.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 11, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
i am for trying him at 3b...

plus i think he should have the leg endurance for catching.

They're not moving Michalczewski to make room for Alvarez. Probably not Rondon either. Nor likely Jake Peter. He's got nowhere to go in Winston-Salem.

Birmingham lacks a real 3B though. Could be Michalczewski or Peter moves up to that spot, which opens something up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
They're not moving Michalczewski to make room for Alvarez. Probably not Rondon either. Nor likely Jake Peter. He's got nowhere to go in Winston-Salem.

Birmingham lacks a real 3B though. Could be Michalczewski or Peter moves up to that spot, which opens something up.

Not a huge fan of leaving a guy in a level that he is dominating. Give him another week and if he is still playing well I think you need to make room for him somewhere at a higher level even if it is AA

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 11, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
Not a huge fan of leaving a guy in a level that he is dominating. Give him another week and if he is still playing well I think you need to make room for him somewhere at a higher level even if it is AA

Agreed. Play him at 3rd and 2nd this week to get him ready for 3B in Bham.Only kinda joking. He may have the maturity to handle the double promo, then again, that may be crazy. Don't promote Trey yet, though, just starting tother get it at WS.

Maybe promoting Peter to make room makes the most sense.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
Agreed. Play him at 3rd and 2nd this week to get him ready for 3B in Bham.Only kinda joking. He may have the maturity to handle the double promo, then again, that may be crazy. Don't promote Trey yet, though, just starting tother get it at WS.

Maybe promoting Peter to make room makes the most sense.

you know, the sox fo prob has been thinking this as well. i am agreement of not letting him waste at this level, b/c of his age.

i am still wondering if catching is out of the question.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 11, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
you know, the sox fo prob has been thinking this as well. i am agreement of not letting him waste at this level, b/c of his age.

i am still wondering if catching is out of the question.

Catching? It takes years of play at that position to get any good at it. You're also, I think, wasting his speed and athleticism at that position. I'd imagine that is the last possible option for him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Catching? It takes years of play at that position to get any good at it. You're also, I think, wasting his speed and athleticism at that position. I'd imagine that is the last possible option for him.

then i was wrong, i was looking at the weak point in the sox system.

if not infield, then it is outfield.

i don't know. i am just throwing some ideas and hope i can be lucky on one.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
then i was wrong, i was looking at the weak point in the sox system.

if not infield, then it is outfield.

i don't know. i am just throwing some ideas and hope i can be lucky on one.

I think unless a prospect is pushing the door on the majors, you shouldn't get too crazy about learning different positions. In Alvarez's case, he was away from baseball so long, I am sure he is doing his best to learn shortstop. It seems like that position is incredibly valuable right now with Addison Russell, Franklin Barreto, and Marcus Semien being young shortstops that were centerpieces to big trades recently.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:24 PM)
I think unless a prospect is pushing the door on the majors, you shouldn't get too crazy about learning different positions. In Alvarez's case, he was away from baseball so long, I am sure he is doing his best to learn shortstop. It seems like that position is incredibly valuable right now with Addison Russell, Franklin Barreto, and Marcus Semien being young shortstops that were centerpieces to big trades recently.

he may be getting to a position where he needs to be moved, that is all i am saying. what more can he learn now??

give him reps at a different position and now he is multi position experience.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
There is no way I move Michalczewski. He's a work in progress. The traditional trajectory other orgs employ seems perfect for him: age 20 at W-S, 21 at Bham and 22 at Charlotte seems perfect for a guy like Michalczewski. He still needs to to make strides at 3B and show game power.

SS's are always valuable because they're athletes currently playing a premium positon, I don't think any recent or future trend is going to change that. Regardless, Alvarez isn't going to become some uber-valuable trade piece. His value is best in this organization so I think you do whatever makes sense for his progress and expand his opportunities. We just happen to have a top 50 prospect at SS and a defensive wizard at the two levels ahead of him. Playing 2B wouldn't hurt Alvarez.

Personally, I would just bump Alvarez to W-S at the end of May and keep it systemic instead of ending a hot streak. Everyone around here loves Jake Peter for some reason but I'm nowhere near as enamored with him as the ST masses. Peter does have a plus arm though so being removed from the situation, I would say they should consider cutting bait on Basto and throw Peter in LF, with Alvarez taking over at 2B for W-S.

I am a big fan of Alvarez. I generally don't put weight into Kanny stats, and his stats are grotesque, but there's still a lot to like. Yes, he's older than Kanny's whole team which helps for leadership but he's a great makeup guy either way. I think most know he's an Olympic speed skater converting to baseball. I don't know what most people feel about ice skaters but the way skaters (and wrestlers for that matter) are brought up as kids just indoctrinates them into a lifestyle of hard work, structure and dedication. Everyone who's a fan of Alvarez should check out Matt's (NorthSideSox72) article from last August: http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/...r-eddy-alvarez/. Surely one of the best FutureSox piece's in my time there.

Agreed on all the above, and thanks on the Q&A - Eddy was easy to interview in a fun way. And I do think Peter is likely a utility guy in the future, so certainly no harm in moving him to OF for a little while. Engel probably reaches BHAM in the next couple months anyway, so just move Peter there, because none of the Kanny OF's are screaming for that slot.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:00 AM)
It does suck, but he's striking out more than ever so it's certainly not surprising.

Yet people want him called up to the big league squad. I really doubt he'd hit over .180 or so vs big league pitching.