White sox position player catastrophe

Whisox05

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 11, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
It has, indeed, been ugly.

Fortunately, regression works both ways. If they can manage to not sink themselves while they're all simultaneously slumping, then they've got a shot to get back in it when the pendulum swings the other way.

Being last in that many categories, and only being 12-16 still gives me hope. If we were 12-16 with a team full of overachievers I would be a lot more worried.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)

Fortunately, regression works both ways. If they can manage to not sink themselves while they're all simultaneously slumping, then they've got a shot to get back in it when the pendulum swings the other way.

i agree,

while it wasn't the most ideal beginning, there is a long season still, and as i said, wait until this team gels. when they are clicking on all cylinders, whew, i can't wait.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 11, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

I guess it has to do with where they projected teams but Cameron had an article about Oakland still having a shot and they are 12-21, which would be the White Sox record if they lost their next 5 games, and they have 3 starters with ERAs under 3.00 and have several guys hitting at levels that more than likely will not be sustained.

I'd take the 12-16 team with Robertson and Duke putting up unsustainable numbers, maybe Beckham, but he's a bench guy, and everyone else due to improve. But they supposedly have next to zero chance.

I honestly was sitting there after the game yesterday wondering how this team is 12-16 after playing some of the worst baseball ive ever witnessed in my life. Even the starting pitching has pretty much been catastrophic bad. While it's easy to say this team isn't good and wont get better, Im still slightly optimistic that the best days for this team is on the horizon. Got a couple weeks now of a pretty light schedule. Time to take advantage.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
I guess it has to do with where they projected teams but Cameron had an article about Oakland still having a shot and they are 12-21, which would be the White Sox record if they lost their next 5 games, and they have 3 starters with ERAs under 3.00 and have several guys hitting at levels that more than likely will not be sustained.

I'd take the 12-16 team with Robertson and Duke putting up unsustainable numbers, maybe Beckham, but he's a bench guy, and everyone else due to improve. But they supposedly have next to zero chance.

Yeah I saw that article, I think the biggest differences in the two interpretations are the BaseRuns model, which is basically a much, much more sophisticated version of Pythagorean record. According to BaseRuns, the Sox should actually be even worse (10-18), which isn't surprising considering how many late-inning comebacks they've had. So I think that's why Cameron was painting the A's with a different flavor of "optimism" than Sullivan with the Sox.

But yeah, as downright ugly as this season has been so far, 12-16 really doesn't look that bad. When Sale/Samardzija/Abreu/Eaton/Melky return to form, it should far outweigh the negative regression due to Garcia/Beckham/bullpen. The only thing that also lingers is those late-inning comebacks, which will most likley slow down as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 11, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
Yeah I saw that article, I think the biggest differences in the two interpretations are the BaseRuns model, which is basically a much, much more sophisticated version of Pythagorean record. According to BaseRuns, the Sox should actually be even worse (10-18), which isn't surprising considering how many late-inning comebacks they've had. So I think that's why Cameron was painting the A's with a different flavor of "optimism" than Sullivan with the Sox.

But yeah, as downright ugly as this season has been so far, 12-16 really doesn't look that bad. When Sale/Samardzija/Abreu/Eaton/Melky return to form, it should far outweigh the negative regression due to Garcia/Beckham/bullpen. The only thing that also lingers is those late-inning comebacks, which will most likley slow down as well.

Cameron also gave them no shot a week or so ago. He even mentioned Garcia, who at the time was on fire, so I am guessing he had that particular article sitting in his drawer for a while.

The Sox may suck, but I think it is way too early to determine. If no one gets hurt, I like their chances.

What a wild article. Basically at this point the team cannot have performed much worse. Thing is, I don't see it improving, only getting worse. It STILL is incapable of putting anything together for an extended period of time. It just doesn't seem capable of ever getting hot but is extremely capable of dropping bundles of games as proven in Minnesota and overall on the road.

Not only are the Sox technically bad as that article states, but mentally they are oh, so bad. It doesn't matter who the leaders are, year after year they just keep on being Team Dysfunction. When you fear a double play, they hit into a DP. When you fear a messed up bunt, they mess up a bunt. When you fear an out on a stolen base, he's out!

They did win four of six on the homestand so we shall see if they can win a road series or two or continue sucking.

Edited by greg775