5/13 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
The 21% K/PA rate is actually OK for where he is in his development, but the nearly complete lack of walks is a red flag for me.

i really didn't want to be the first to mention this, but i agree. actually i thought it was a bad sign, period. but he supports that with other hitting tools.

Keenyn Walker already has five errors. As an outfielder. In a little over a month of play.

Errors aren't a great way to evaluate defense of course, and I'm sure his speed helps him get to balls others can't, but... he's on track for like 25+ errors in the outfield. No way that's a good thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 13, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
i really didn't want to be the first to mention this, but i agree. actually i thought it was a bad sign, period. but he supports that with other hitting tools.

It's a huge red flag no matter what his other tools are. If you can't command the strike zone MLB pitchers aren't going to throw you many strikes. I'm high on Anderson overall but he needs to start taking more walks. Not a ton, just a few more. I'd be happy with 30-40 a year in MLB. Just enough to keep pitchers honest.

I will add that I have zero faith in the Sox to develop any sort of strikezone command in their prospects. It's not something they do well, at all.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 13, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
It's a huge red flag no matter what his other tools are. If you can't command the strike zone MLB pitchers aren't going to throw you many strikes. I'm high on Anderson overall but he needs to start taking more walks. Not a ton, just a few more. I'd be happy with 30-40 a year in MLB. Just enough to keep pitchers honest.

I will add that I have zero faith in the Sox to develop any sort of strikezone command in their prospects. It's not something they do well, at all.

It's also interesting that Bob Uecker and the Brewers' radio people had ZERO idea what Harold Baines did for the White Sox now.

They had to look it up. Assistant hitting coach. They said, "boy, was he a great hitter, near HofF caliber except for the injuries and time spent as a DH" but had zero clue that he was even a coach still or what it was he was supposedly doing for the organization. I find that a bit telling.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)

i too am high on Anderson and is a big fan. i still will not have blind faith in no one or anything. will be make the majors. i think so. but i have some questions that i would rather not ask at this time.

last yr, someone took my question as a negative attack. i do not want that to happen again. so that is why i didn't immediately responded to the statement.

either way, i do see an exciting player. i just wish he had progress enuf to play in the majors. i can't wait for him to come up.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
What does it tell?

I don't want to speak for Caulfield, but I would guess that a lot of announcers have no idea how great a hitter was Harold Baines.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
I don't want to speak for Caulfield, but I would guess that a lot of announcers have no idea how great a hitter was Harold Baines.

Right but, okay. I thought it was implying that that said something about the Sox farm system, as this is the farm board.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:02 AM)
It's also interesting that Bob Uecker and the Brewers' radio people had ZERO idea what Harold Baines did for the White Sox now.

They had to look it up. Assistant hitting coach. They said, "boy, was he a great hitter, near HofF caliber except for the injuries and time spent as a DH" but had zero clue that he was even a coach still or what it was he was supposedly doing for the organization. I find that a bit telling.

The Brewers are a NL team, I would not expect their announcer to know all the ins and outs of an AL team. One would think he would know about Baines, but there is a lot to know about MLB and the dude is quite old. Give him a break.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
Kevan Smith and Dan Blake. Are they major league contributors?

Smith, in my view, has a decent chance to be a good major league backup. His pitcher handling has been extolled by the org, and they love that in their backups and catchers generally. He makes contact and has some power, draws some walks. The arm is strong. His defense is iffy, but supposedly the blocking has improved - that is the weak point really.

Two years ago, Black seemed to have a small window to maybe get a shot. But he struggled in AAA his first shot at it, and with Wilkins catching fire last year, that was all it took for him to lose that window. At this point, the only way he's a major leaguer is if one of Abreu or LaRoche goes down to injury this year. He might, maybe, be a guy they'd call up in that instance - or then again maybe they'd just give Davidson some DH time in the majors. Black can absolutely hit, and I think he could hit in the majors. But he's weak defensively, has Konerko-like speed, and quite honestly his lack of conditioning probably scares people. I'd say his chances at ever seeing the majors are very, very slim, and his chances of carving out a real multi-year career are near zero.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)

Uke never struck me as a guy who does a lot of research, if you know what I mean.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:05 AM)
The Brewers are a NL team, I would not expect their announcer to know all the ins and outs of an AL team. One would think he would know about Baines, but there is a lot to know about MLB and the dude is quite old. Give him a break.

Weren't Brewers an AL team when Baines was with Sox?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)

Yes, my take above was more about the Brewers announcing staff not knowing about what Baines did today for the Sox, what his coaching job was. I did not realize they did not know much about his past hitting exploits, that I would expect even Ueker would know a bit about that.