Rowand will be TV guy this weekend

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Apparently the Sox are making a change this season. Last year I recall Tom Paciorek was the substitute on TV when an absence was planned in advance, and Michael Huff was the substitute on TV when an absence was unplanned.

I didn't like Huff anyway. Rowand should be way better.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)
I didn't like Huff anyway. Rowand should be way better.

But Aaron Rowand is replacing Tom Paciorek.

I believe Steve Stone's absence at the series in Oakland was planned in advance. In recent seasons, I recall Steve always skips a few series on the road.

Previously, Tom Paciorek was the substitute during Steve's planned absences.

I always liked Wimpy together with Hawk.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
But Aaron Rowand is replacing Tom Paciorek.

I believe Steve Stone's absence at the series in Oakland was planned in advance. In recent seasons, I recall Steve always skips a few series on the road.

I wonder why Paciorek isn't doing it anymore. Maybe he's too old, and doesn't want to travel that much now.

Doesn't Paciorek live in Atlanta?

I could be wrong. Or Detroit?

I wouldn't want to make that long trip either, unless I was already out in California. Jack McDowell has been on the periphery a few times as well, but perhaps he's too outspoken/controversial for JR's taste.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
Doesn't Paciorek live in Atlanta?

I could be wrong. Or Detroit?

I wouldn't want to make that long trip either, unless I was already out in California. Jack McDowell has been on the periphery a few times as well, but perhaps he's too outspoken/controversial for JR's taste.

Tom Paciorek is originally from Detroit, but I believe he lives outside Atlanta. I don't think the distance really mattered because Tom was only announcing a few road series per season.

My hope is that Aaron Rowand is trying out this weekend for other future projects with the Sox, and that Tom returns to the booth in the future with Hawk when Steve Stone is skipping a road series.

Jack McDowell is an anti-ownership guy, just like Steve Lyons but I read somewhere that Steve Lyons is now announcing games for the Red Sox.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Tom Paciorek is originally from Detroit, but I believe he lives outside Atlanta. I don't think the distance really mattered because Tom was only announcing a few road series per season.

My hope is that Aaron Rowand is trying out this weekend for other future projects with the Sox, and that Tom returns to the booth in the future with Hawk when Steve Stone is skipping a road series.

Jack McDowell is an anti-ownership guy, just like Steve Lyons but I read somewhere that Steve Lyons is now announcing games for the Red Sox.

I had to provide Lyons all the stats/player backgrounds when ESPN was broadcasting selected minor league games in early 1995 (because of the strike) at Augusta....he was a pretty cool guy, I (of course) had to ask him about the time at 1B where he slid into the bag headfirst and started stripping off his pants in front of everyone like he was in the locker room. Probably the millionth time he'd been asked about that one, but took it in good stride.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
That should be interesting. Curious how he does. Could he get a more recurring gig or be groomed to come back. Maybe him and AJ in the booth together in a few years, haha.

It would be so White Sox to forego a broadcast professional again for their next booth.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)

Stone and Wimpy were decent together for those games when Hawk was in Cooperstown last year (and maybe another series?). Because they're actually having a conversation about baseball. Radical concept for the TV booth.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
When there is a quiet stretch, is he gonna suddenly run into the outfield wall?

the thing is, we as fans really have no knowledge on who is out there for this position. i guess we as fans have to trust their opinion.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 15, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
When there is a quiet stretch, is he gonna suddenly run into the outfield wall?

Assuming there is a quiet stretch when Hawk gets pissed, of course. His announcing will be so grindery.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 16, 2015 -> 01:09 AM)
Watching the 05 doc, if we are in the market for a new tv guy next year, I hope we at least investigate Blum.

you know who i always thought would be a good announcer, more like a color man, that would be Mark Buehrle . plus he has the calm demeanor and is very personable on the mic.

however with his pitching this yr, and a record of 5-2, he might just go for another contract.