Eddy Julio Martinez

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...?P=yoan-moncada

The key point is differentiating the top Cuban talent from the pretenders.

Time will tell how good guys like Soler, Rusney Castillo, Moncada and Yasmany Tomas are...for awhile there, teams like the Cubs were just throwing money at any Cuban (I can't remember the soft-tossing lefty they overvalued, Concepcion maybe?) While Moncada wasn't expected to make it to the majors this season, all of the scouts were projecting something like A-Rod Jr., and he's not even putting up an 800 OPS in Low A whereas A-Rod and Harper were in the majors before that (and that's not even considering concerns about his defense and eventual position).

However, if there's ONE thing I am NOT worried about, it's our organization being able to make correct assessments on this particular nation's players. We missed with Viciedo, but hit it big with Contreras, Alexei and Abreu.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)

Time will tell how good guys like Soler, Rusney Castillo, Moncada and Yasmany Tomas are...for awhile there, teams like the Cubs were just throwing money at any Cuban (I can't remember the soft-tossing lefty they overvalued, Concepcion maybe?) While Moncada wasn't expected to make it to the majors this season, all of the scouts were projecting something like A-Rod Jr., and he's not even putting up an 800 OPS in Low A whereas A-Rod and Harper were in the majors before that (and that's not even considering concerns about his defense and eventual position).

However, if there's ONE thing I am NOT worried about, it's our organization being able to make correct assessments on this particular nation's players. We missed with Viciedo, but hit it big with Contreras, Alexei and Abreu.

you just nailed what i was thinking last nite on him. that was until i remembered how young he is.

i am still advocating for an instant help in the cuban players..... look to Japan. there are some great players who could play for 2 or 3 yrs. just enuf to help the sox and give the minors time to fully develop.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)

Speaking of Tank...what's he up to? I know he's a FA, but a little surprised no one has picked him up or he hadn't gone to Japan or something.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Speaking of Tank...what's he up to? I know he's a FA, but a little surprised no one has picked him up or he hadn't gone to Japan or something.

Oakland got him. Wonder what he weighs??

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
So I believe someone said today is the last day for some teams to get EJM inked to a deal before the July 2nd deadline. Who is no longer able to sign him after today?

It’s unclear as yet whether Martinez will sign in this period or the new one beginning July 2, but he’ll have to put pen to paper in short order if he’s to head to the Yankees or Angels. Those two clubs will be unable to spend more than $300K after this July 2 class closes, and they are among the teams who Sanchez lists with interest. The Cubs, Blue Jays, Nationals, Rockies, Tigers, Dodgers, and Giants have also reached out to Martinez’s camp, per the report. “I’m working hard to get to my goal to play in the Major Leagues, ” says the 20-year-old. “That’s what I have always wanted to do.”

baseballamerica.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
It’s unclear as yet whether Martinez will sign in this period or the new one beginning July 2, but he’ll have to put pen to paper in short order if he’s to head to the Yankees or Angels. Those two clubs will be unable to spend more than $300K after this July 2 class closes, and they are among the teams who Sanchez lists with interest. The Cubs, Blue Jays, Nationals, Rockies, Tigers, Dodgers, and Giants have also reached out to Martinez’s camp, per the report. “I’m working hard to get to my goal to play in the Major Leagues, ” says the 20-year-old. “That’s what I have always wanted to do.”

baseballamerica.com

How is it that the Cubs are able to spend wildly again this period, didnt they blow past their limit last year?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 07:32 AM)
How is it that the Cubs are able to spend wildly again this period, didnt they blow past their limit last year?

I'm a little confused myself. Seems like it's the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Angels who can't sign him before July 2nd...

Martinez, 20, is eligible to sign right now, but the fact that he hasn’t with the 2014-2015 signing period closing in mid-June is significant. That implies, strongly, that he is at least seriously considering (or has quietly agreed to) an offer from a team that is locked out now but won’t be in July. The top candidates to be that team? Cubs and Dodgers. And while the Dodgers have been winning the Battles of the Moneybags lately, I suspect the Cubs have the reserves to put up a fiscal fight for a player they really want.

And they might have another fight, too, on the number three prospect, Lucius Fox.

If the Cubs land Fox, this class becomes incredibly good. Like Martinez, there are a lot of team involved on Fox, but unlike Martinez, Fox cannot sign until July 2. Given that he arrived on the scene a little late, any team that does not want to blow the spending limits may already be promised to enough other players that they won’t have the room for Fox. That puts the deep pocketed teams who are committed to blowing past the limits in the drivers’ seat, and that means it may well be the Cubs and Dodgers fighting for the wheel.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/06/05/c...julio-martinez/

Unless a team was already over for 2015, it makes sense that any team would want to sign him in 2016, that way they can maximize the amount of guys they pull from this class, both from the 16 year olds, but also from the 18-23 year old Cuban crowd. If you sign him pre-June 15, you could only take what you had already taken from those classes. With all of the Cuban's coming into the country, THIS is the period you want to be in.

With Almora disappointing and McKinney probably ticketed for a corner....it does make a lot of sense for the Cubs to go after a game-changing CFer, even one who's 2 or maybe even 3 years away by most reports.

Almost nobody believes Fowler is going to be the long-term solution, he's simply a placeholder until a better option comes along...although he's been fine for his particular role so far this season.

Edited by caulfield12