AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (reiks12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
his knee? kind of strange looking at the replay. I thought it was going to be hip pain

just from experience, as someone with bad knees, I could tell right away it was his knee. THen he gestured to Herm and now they are saying "inflammation", which is the body's response to injury and usually not a good sign although not necessarily that uncommon for a pro athlete. Get him on the Derrick Rose foam rolling yoga plan.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 19, 2015 -> 03:12 AM)
just from experience, as someone with bad knees, I could tell right away it was his knee. THen he gestured to Herm and now they are saying "inflammation", which is the body's response to injury and usually not a good sign although not necessarily that uncommon for a pro athlete. Get him on the Derrick Rose foam rolling yoga plan.

We need ptatc here and fast! When I hear swelling of the knee I think arthroscope and he could miss 2-4 weeks, right? You can't let it continue all year I'd imagine but ptatc can tell us for sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
We need ptatc here and fast! When I hear swelling of the knee I think arthroscope and he could miss 2-4 weeks, right? You can't let it continue all year I'd imagine but ptatc can tell us for sure.

Usually they do a "scope" on a meniscus tear caused by inflammation and soreness they can't otherwise account for. I believe both Rose and Dougie played on a minor meniscus tear last season before going under and missing time. Hell, Victor Martinez rushed back from his and isn't playing that well, but he's old and has blown up his knee many times.

If it's something like a strained MCL, bruise, or tendonitis the prescription is just to rest as much as possible and rehab, no surgery required. We shall see, I think he might have just bruised it.

Very excited about the W for a myriad of reasons. Now above .500, Sale pitched great again, Sanchez looks like he could be a real contributor. That being said, what's getting lost in this is the fact that Robin almost cost us another W and he's really taking no heat for it because of the euphoria of the win. Leaving Ramirez in and letting him swing at the first pitch with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out was such an amateur decision. Ramirez was 0-3, and he can't bunt to save his life. Should never have been hitting in that situation, and should definitely not have been swinging at the first pitch. Almost blew a golden opportunity.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Very excited about the W for a myriad of reasons. Now above .500, Sale pitched great again, Sanchez looks like he could be a real contributor. That being said, what's getting lost in this is the fact that Robin almost cost us another W and he's really taking no heat for it because of the euphoria of the win. Leaving Ramirez in and letting him swing at the first pitch with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out was such an amateur decision. Ramirez was 0-3, and he can't bunt to save his life. Should never have been hitting in that situation, and should definitely not have been swinging at the first pitch. Almost blew a golden opportunity.

So it's Robin's fault Alexei swung at the first pitch and popped up. For some reason if he had doubled and won the game you wouldn't have given Robin kudos for that. The Robin bashing has really become laughably ridiculous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
So it's Robin's fault Alexei swung at the first pitch and popped up. For some reason if he had doubled and won the game you wouldn't have given Robin kudos for that. The Robin bashing has really become laughably ridiculous.

No it's Robin's fault for not taking him out and bunting to move the runners over to second and third with one out in an extra inning game. That's about as basic of a managerial decision as it can get. Leaving Lexi in obviously didn't work out too well, unless you thought the infield pop up was a good result.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
No it's Robin's fault for not taking him out and bunting to move the runners over to second and third with one out in an extra inning game. That's about as basic of a managerial decision as it can get. Leaving Lexi in obviously didn't work out too well, unless you thought the infield pop up was a good result.

And even with hindsight, Soto struck out anyway so Sanchez had to get a hit, and if he didn't you would have had Beckham, considering he was the only guy left playing SS and no one left on the bench. The White Sox had a walk off win, have won 6 in a row and instead of enjoying it, you reach to try to bash Robin. He did nothing wrong. No manager would have yanked Alexei there.

That was an awesome win. Over .500 feels oh so good. Couple observations.

1) The scoring play by Eaton was really not that different than a lot of the "dumb" attempts the Sox have made on the bases this year. A lot of people pointed out that the baserunning luck would turn around a little, and that was an example.

2) Alexei Ramirez has officially made it to my s*** list. He is a double play machine. He has murdered an astonishing number of rallies this year and is on pace for the 4th worst single-season WPA in the last ten years. His pitches per PA is the lowest since his rookie year and at this point if he sees a hitter's count it is a minor miracle. I'm waiting for the hot streak but until it comes, he annoys me. He could also use a day off this week.

3) Sale's fine. Shocking.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)

Removing your starting short stop just to bunt is not basic, it is ridiculous. If Robin wanted a bunt, ask Alexei to bunt.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)

Get him the f*** away from Derrick Rose, and anything to do with him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
And even with hindsight, Soto struck out anyway so Sanchez had to get a hit, and if he didn't you would have had Beckham, considering he was the only guy left playing SS and no one left on the bench. The White Sox had a walk off win, have won 6 in a row and instead of enjoying it, you reach to try to bash Robin. He did nothing wrong. No manager would have yanked Alexei there.

Maybe baseball has changed, but, I think in a 1-1 game in extra innings, where the Sox only run came from stealing home, at least 1 manager in baseball might think it's a good idea to lay a bunt down in the bottom of the 10th with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out, when you have a hitter who is 0-3 at the plate, rather than gamble and let Alexi swing away. It was a bad decision. And as for hindsight, the entire landscape of the game changes if it's 2nd and 3rd with one out. Soto may be intentionally walked instead, and he may change his hitting approach at the plate. I promise you 9 out of 10 managers will bunt in that situation. Just don't want to lose that way in the future.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Maybe baseball has changed, but, I think in a 1-1 game in extra innings, where the Sox only run came from stealing home, at least 1 manager in baseball might think it's a good idea to lay a bunt down in the bottom of the 10th with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out, when you have a hitter who is 0-3 at the plate, rather than gamble and let Alexi swing away. It was a bad decision. And as for hindsight, the entire landscape of the game changes if it's 2nd and 3rd with one out. Soto may be intentionally walked instead, and he may change his hitting approach at the plate. I promise you 9 out of 10 managers will bunt in that situation. Just don't want to lose that way in the future.

Plenty of guys would bunt there but we know Alexei is bad at it, and then we'd be screaming that Robin made a guy do something he couldn't do.

So you'd have to lift him, and pinch hitting to lay down a bunt would be pretty unconventional. It all worked out fine, and as somebody who is always on alert for tactical errors by Robin, I was fine with the way he managed that inning.