Now Who Do the Sox Turn To?

Chisoxfn

HAHA... wow, a good laugh for the holidays. But seriously y'all. Dempster once had a 96 mph fourseamer, since then he's been throwing a two-seamer at 92-93 mph. His change-up is good, and his slider was once considered one of the best in baseball. If he can find it under Cooper, he would definately be worth the risk of a Willie Harris.

Originally posted by baggio202
Originally posted by abozichiu

I say we sign Ramiro Mendoza.  I think he can be effective and would come at a pretty cheap price.

hasnt mendoza had alot of arm problems the past 2 seasons???...i remember him in '00 being the guy everyone in baseball wanted from the yanks...seems interest has cooled off...with whats left if the sox were truly looking for a free agent pitcher id go with daal first and the mendoza...

medoza is a free aganr right??...the yanks said they wernt gonna make him an offer..or am i thinking of someone else???

Mendoza is a free agent. He's had a few injuries, nothing too serious(Someone can check me on that), but he's mainly been in the pen as the Yanks see him as being so strong their. He gives them something no other team has(Thats what Torre thought)

This guy would be a very good pickup, but If he is going to go anywhere for cheap, I'd think the Yanks would just spend a little extra and sign him.

Originally posted by WSFAN35

Two Words: Ryan Dempster

If the Reds are dumping salary we could really take advantage of a once hot commodity guy and hope to turn him around.

Imo, this is a guy whose going to figure things out again. He was over-worked and that typically kills young pitchers arms(Baggs made this post a long time ago).

After something like that, it usually take a couple years for them to recoever(See Millwood, etc)

I think Dempster, having a full offseason should be feeling a lot better next season. I'd definately be willing to offer Willie Harris and Brian West for Dempster.

I don't know the Reds true needs, but I know they would want pitching prospects.

They may still want a good 2B prospect, but with them getting Felipe Lopez, they might be set at 2B for now...and Griffey in CF kind of gets in Harris's way there as well.

Unless they think Barry Larkin is going to retire sometime in the future, like within the next year or two, then they have no need for Willie Harris...they could just draft a good college middle infielder and develop him and then when Larkin retires bring the middle infielder up...3 years is plenty of time to develop a college player.

If they are looking to dump salary, I'd say probably Brian West and Dave Sanders, or something like that, would get him...then again, Cinci always has one of the better bullpens in the league...what they are looking for right now is starting pitching...and that is something we need too.

Maybe Josh Stewart and Brian West would get him...but knowing the asshole Jim Bowden is, he'd probably request Corwin Malone...and if I were KW and Bowden asked me that, I'd say two magical words that seem to work so well in so many different situations....

f*** OFF

I could give up Stewart. I think his impressive AFL stats could help us get way more value for him.

I don't mind Stewart, but he is nothing like our other guys and could definately move him, if it would get us Dempster. Dempster is way better, and could help us now.

Brad Penny would be my first pick, but he'd cost way too much.

Also, I do think the Reds are looking at Lopez as a shortstop, not 2nd baseman and are figuring Larkin is done, either this year or next(Plus he's hurt 60% of the season).

Now would be a perfect time to groom their future infield, so their is a definate possibility of them wanting Harris, but that isn't as likely after they made the deal.

Then again, they are supposedly willing to get Colon for Lopez and Dunn, so who knows what to think.

Originally posted by WSFAN35

The Sox could always turn to me, I pitched HS and American Legion ball last year.  Sure, I can't hit higher than 85 mph on my fastball, and I'm only 17, but I've gotta be better than Jim Parque... haha

I was like Jim Parque, then I hurt my arm. Now I'm finally getting around to getting it back in shape. I actually think I throw harder now then before, so I don't know why Parque can't.

Me throwing harder is like me hitting 78-80. I was never known for my speed, more my curve, knuckler, change and control.

Oh well, I'm wasting talent in college, working on becoming a gm or something.