What a putrid offense...

harkness99

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Jose Abreu's OPS is down 120 points from his total season last year. Jose Abreu changing from an all-star to a "slightly above average" offensive 1b is a major issue for this team offense.

Abreu's OPS was not the issue that was brought up. The issue that was brought up was his run production with runners on base and I simply stated that he has been fine in that department.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Abreu's OPS was not the issue that was brought up. The issue that was brought up was his run production with runners on base and I simply stated that he has been fine in that department.

And since we're on the topic of Abreu, I brought up in reply that he's been a major part of the problem.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 22, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
I was never criticizing Adam LaRoche. I was blaming Robin and/or Rick for starting the guy against LHP and/or not having better RH options available when you know how much he struggles against LHP. Somehow you spun that into blaming the entire putrid offense on Adam LaRoche but whatever.

Read the rest of the thread. It was pile on Adam LaRoche hour.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Read the rest of the thread. It was pile on Adam LaRoche hour.

Sure they did, but you kept on quoting me. I don't disagree with you.

Given LaRoche's age & career, I can't say I expected that much more from him at this time. Sure I would have hoped for a little more production, but he is what he is at this point. Starting him against LHP only diminishes your returns from him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
Starting him against LHP only diminishes your returns from him.

To me that's like saying that having Leury Garcia on the bench only diminishes our returns from him. No it doesn't! When there's a lefty on the mound the returns are Leury-Garcia-Worthy!

I wasn't blaming the offensive struggles entirely on LaRoche. But, he's a focal point because he's hitting in a run producing spot and is sandwiched in between, probably, the club's 2 best hitters in Abreu and Garcia.

I agree pretty much the entire offense has been brutal. It just kills me that RV will likely, if history holds true, continue to run him out there in the 4 hole regardless of his production.

I know they like the lefty/righty bats broken up in the lineup but why not mix it up and try to get something going? If I was making the BO, I would like to see how an Eaton, Alexi, Garcia, Abreu, Melky, LaRoche, Gillapsie/Beckham, catcher, Sanchez lineup would do.

Yeah I'm about at the point where you need to shake things up. The line up needs guys who will make contact when people get on. Not K machines like LaRoche and Melky with RISP. I would move Sanchez up behind Eaton and bat Alexei 9th.

Move Melky before the C spot.

Then Abreu, Garcia, LaRoche Becks/Conor

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Yeah I'm about at the point where you need to shake things up. The line up needs guys who will make contact when people get on. Not K machines like LaRoche and Melky with RISP. I would move Sanchez up behind Eaton and bat Alexei 9th.

To note, sanchez is 5 for his first 24, good for a .208 batting average with 0 walks. Putting that player 2nd doesn't scream "improved offense!" to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
To note, sanchez is 5 for his first 24, good for a .208 batting average with 0 walks. Putting that player 2nd doesn't scream "improved offense!" to me.

I think if you put Sanchez in the two hole he may be a little bit more patient. He's a smart baseball guy.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I think if you put Sanchez in the two hole he may be a little bit more patient. He's a smart baseball guy.

Given that he's a rookie, I flat out want to see production from him before he moves up in the order, unless the team reaches "throw in the towel" point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Given that he's a rookie, I flat out want to see production from him before he moves up in the order, unless the team reaches "throw in the towel" point.

Fair enough but seriously, I like watching Sanchez bat with runners on versus no runners on. He's been a lot of better I believe.

Lloyd McClendon had a great quote today about how his guys are pressing and it's leading to them swinging at pitches out of the zone and how he's been emphasizing "take your walks" all week. We'll see if his message gets through to the Mariners but the Sox would do well to consider similar advice.

I will say that I thought Jose and Avi got "aced" a couple of times last night with RISP, and there wasn't much they could have done to work a better count. But there were certainly other opportunities this season where it made sense to take a few freaking pitches with a wild pitcher on the mound.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Lloyd McClendon had a great quote today about how his guys are pressing and it's leading to them swinging at pitches out of the zone and how he's been emphasizing "take your walks" all week. We'll see if his message gets through to the Mariners but the Sox would do well to consider similar advice.

I will say that I thought Jose and Avi got "aced" a couple of times last night with RISP, and there wasn't much they could have done to work a better count. But there were certainly other opportunities this season where it made sense to take a few freaking pitches with a wild pitcher on the mound.

Salazar had no fear against our best hitters. He just went after them and they had no answer.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Salazar had no fear against our best hitters. He just went after them and they had no answer.

He was nasty at times and the few times he got behind in counts the Sox got antsy and bailed him out. Cleveland has some nasty starters. The Sox needed to win the other games in the series when they had the pitching advantage on paper. Danks verse Salazar isn't fair.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
He was nasty at times and the few times he got behind in counts the Sox got antsy and bailed him out. Cleveland has some nasty starters. The Sox needed to win the other games in the series when they had the pitching advantage on paper. Danks verse Salazar isn't fair.

Danks wasn't bad after the 1st inning. I don't know what the deal is with White Sox starters in the first. It seems they tend to give up runs pretty often. Might be time for some sort of change of routine.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 23, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Flowers is beyond pathetic. And f*** you Ventura for actually letting a guy who struggles to make contact bat in a situation where even a bloop single would tie the game. Why the f*** is Bonifacio on this team if he's not going to be used as a pinch hitter late in games against LHP?

3 runs yet again...

You want to know how bad this offense is, right now?

7 Game Homestand vs 2 other 'worst' AL Central Teams

6 Games (so far)

10 Extra Base Hits

39 Hits

14 Runs

7 for 37 with RISP

Pretty bad stats, if you were on the road and playing tough competition....but we're at home, against our division cellar dwellars...let that sink in for a bit.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 24, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
You want to know how bad this offense is, right now?

7 Game Homestand vs 2 other 'worst' AL Central Teams

6 Games (so far)

10 Extra Base Hits

39 Hits

14 Runs

7 for 37 with RISP

Pretty bad stats, if you were on the road and playing tough competition....but we're at home, against our division cellar dwellars...let that sink in for a bit.

Need Avi back in the next day or so. Unfortunately, him not being able to PH today makes me think he'll be out for another 4-5 days.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2015 -> 11:44 PM)
Would they take LaRoche off our hands? Get him back in the NL.

Nah they'd have no interest. LaRoche isn't the reason why the White Sox offense is bad though. He hasn't been good by any means but most haven't been. Abreu needs to be better and hit for power. Eaton and Melky have been nowhere near good enough. There is a giant blackhole offensively at 2B, 3B, SS, and C. Just can't win consistently relying on guys like Gillaspie, Beckham, Flowers, and Soto.