Midseason Additions

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
re - Shark, based on his performance this yr, there is no way i would sign him, unless he comes in at 15 mil. a yr.

to max the rtn, esp for a major league ready cat and or 3b, some one like Q is going to be needed to be traded.

btw, i am not advocating this to be done, i am pointing out what will be needed to get it done.

Quintana is one of the most valuable players is baseball. Unless we're acquiring a star C or 3B under an equally affordable deal, Jose won't be the the chip we'll need to move. IMO, a package of Danish/Montas, Hawkins, & say Jordan Guerrero would be incredibly attractive to a lot of teams in this day and age. A package like that should be able to land us a very nice upgrade at C or 3B with multiple years of team control.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
Quintana is one of the most valuable players is baseball. Unless we're acquiring a star C or 3B under an equally affordable deal, Jose won't be the the chip we'll need to move. IMO, a package of Danish/Montas, Hawkins, & say Jordan Guerrero would be incredibly attractive to a lot of teams in this day and age. A package like that should be able to land us a very nice upgrade at C or 3B with multiple years of team control.

while i see what you are saying, and i will not dispute you in this scenario. however, some teams with some key prospects are also in the playoff hunt. those teams want to add a missing element to their team, carrying them, hopefully deeper in the playoff.

again, those team have what the sox needs, prospects who are at least 1 yr away at a position that the sox needs. i don't think they would settle for a pkg of prospects who are several yrs away to help them. they want and need that help now.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
re - Shark, based on his performance this yr, there is no way i would sign him, unless he comes in at 15 mil. a yr.

to max the rtn, esp for a major league ready cat and or 3b, some one like Q is going to be needed to be traded.

btw, i am not advocating this to be done, i am pointing out what will be needed to get it done.

They would need an absolute haul to trade Quintana. It doesn't make sense. We've been over this ad nauseum.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
They would need an absolute haul to trade Quintana. It doesn't make sense. We've been over this ad nauseum.

The White Sox have the worst average offense in MLB and 2nd worst defense in MLB over the last 10 seasons. This isn't working.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Jose Quintana and Matt Davidson for Nolan Arenado and Jordan Lyles?

Would both teams do it?

No way Colorado does that deal.

They're much more interested in trading Tulo and Cargo. Arenado is their main building block in the everyday line-up and hugely underrated.

The only way it makes sense to trade Q is if the Sox were to get a package ( for example) starting with McCullers from Houston. Given Q's cheap contract, it might raise Houston's eyebrow despite not wanting to trade McCullers.

That said, I still stand behind a front three of Sale, Rodon and Q for years to come and at some point hopefully Fulmer as well.

The Sox are in a position where a team would really have to WOW the Sox in order to obtain Q or the Sox just give them the finger ( not literally).

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)

and the constant idea of signing Shark.

the strength of the pitching is where the sox have some room to move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
The White Sox have the worst average offense in MLB and 2nd worst defense in MLB over the last 10 seasons. This isn't working.

nice one. excellent point.

but how to fix this??

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
The only way it makes sense to trade Q is if the Sox were to get a package ( for example) starting with McCullers from Houston. Given Q's cheap contract, it might raise Houston's eyebrow despite not wanting to trade McCullers.

That said, I still stand behind a front three of Sale, Rodon and Q for years to come and at some point hopefully Fulmer as well.

The Sox are in a position where a team would really have to WOW the Sox in order to obtain Q or the Sox just give them the finger ( not literally).

but the sox needs 2 key prospects from Hou. cat and 3b and as you said, the team talking to chi, will really need to wow them.

but like anything, conversation on the sports forum is way different than talk in the FO.

btw..... excellent post.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
but the sox needs 2 key prospects from Hou. cat and 3b and as you said, the team talking to chi, will really need to wow them.

but like anything, conversation on the sports forum is way different than talk in the FO.

btw..... excellent post.

My thinking is, the Sox do not trade a cheap cost controlled #2 without getting his replacement in return. Trading Q to fill other holes is not a bad idea but it does create a huge void in the rotation.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
My thinking is, the Sox do not trade a cheap cost controlled #2 without getting his replacement in return. Trading Q to fill other holes is not a bad idea but it does create a huge void in the rotation.

At some point we need to find some offense somewhere. We keep drafting all these pitchers for a reason, at some point we need to cash them in. We're not going to win anything with the #3 rotation in baseball, the #29 defense, and the #30 offense. It just isn't working.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
At some point we need to find some offense somewhere. We keep drafting all these pitchers for a reason, at some point we need to cash them in. We're not going to win anything with the #3 rotation in baseball, the #29 defense, and the #30 offense. It just isn't working.

Don't we see enough cpmplaining about Danks and Samardzija ( myself included on this one)? Now we're going to add one of Drabek, Johnson, Carroll to that mix? Dear god no. I can see using one of those three to replace Samardzija's spot in 2016 while the Sox wait for Fulmer, Montas,Danish. But to replace Q? No thanks.

Maybe this team needs to learn how to draft better hitters.

Besides. Trading Q for offense is not going to help Cabrera, Eaton and LaRoche ( better lately) swing better bats.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Don't we see enough cpmplaining about Danks and Samardzija ( myself included on this one)? Now we're going to add one of Drabek, Johnson, Carroll to that mix? Dear god no. I can see using one of those three to replace Samardzija's spot in 2016 while the Sox wait for Fulmer, Montas,Danish. But to replace Q? No thanks.

Maybe this team needs to learn how to draft better hitters.

Besides. Trading Q for offense is not going to help Cabrera, Eaton and LaRoche ( better lately) swing better bats.

If there's no way to improve the offense internally over the next 2-3 years...other than Micah, Anderson, Hawkins and maybe Trey M., what's the argument for keeping Sale, Abreu, Robertson and Quintana?

Because buying aging free agents at topline value definitely's not working. You are almost forced to make moves where you hope to get two or three (young) above-average hitters for your most valuable assets...then use your ability to identify and develop pitchers to build around Rodon and Fulmer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
If there's no way to improve the offense internally over the next 2-3 years...other than Micah, Anderson, Hawkins and maybe Trey M., what's the argument for keeping Sale, Abreu, Robertson and Quintana?

Because buying aging free agents at topline value definitely's not working. You are almost forced to make moves where you hope to get two or three (young) above-average hitters for your most valuable assets...then use your ability to identify and develop pitchers to build around Rodon and Fulmer.

Whoa. I'm only here to comment on the idea of trading Q.

The trading of Sale and/or Abreu is Pandora's box around these parts.

I don't deny the Sox need a lot of help offensively but what your getting at sounds is a full scale rebuild and I'm not ready to go there just yet.

I'm holding out to see how this team looks in mid to late July. The offense has shown brief signs of life here and there so I still cling to that last thread of hope.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)

and therein lies the problem, which i was trying to lead my discussion toward.

many posters are saying trade this player or that player, and unless they see the other side, what will be the end results, well, you help me show my reasoning.

so the question is still there, how to fix this club??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
and therein lies the problem, which i was trying to lead my discussion toward.

many posters are saying trade this player or that player, and unless they see the other side, what will be the end results, well, you help me show my reasoning.

so the question is still there, how to fix this club??

I wish I had an answer.

Just ride the wave and see where the Sox stand in late July. Hope some guys comes around.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Don't we see enough cpmplaining about Danks and Samardzija ( myself included on this one)? Now we're going to add one of Drabek, Johnson, Carroll to that mix? Dear god no.

Yes, because Samardzija is gone after this year anyway (and we can sign him if we want) . Danks is untradeable so no use even mentioning him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
Yes, because Samardzija is gone after this year anyway (and we can sign him if we want) . Danks is untradeable so no use even mentioning him.

Pretty sure Balta has already asked this but, where does the money for Samardzija come from? His salary will go up with his next contract and will be 31 by the time he starts the 2016 season. Not sure sure investing four or five years into a 31 year old pitcher is the best solution.

I guess what I'm saying is trading a 26 year old Q and re-signing a 31 year old Samardzija to take Q's place is a significant downgrade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 12:16 AM)
I wish I had an answer.

Just ride the wave and see where the Sox stand in late July. Hope some guys comes around.

don't get me wrong, some really hard decisions on who to trade, will need to be decided in the sox FO. it is inevitable, esp if the sox are still floundering. i reall would not want to wait untiil ASG to decide.

got to strike while the iron is hot, contending teams are looking now for help.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
don't get me wrong, some really hard decisions on who to trade, will need to be decided in the sox FO. it is inevitable, esp if the sox are still floundering. i reall would not want to wait untiil ASG to decide.

got to strike while the iron is hot, contending teams are looking now for help.

With how much our best trade piece has struggled there is genuinely no reason to rush this one. Worst case scenario we're still at the bottom of the division mid-July and players are still as worthless as they look now. No way that's worse than where we stand right now. Maybe Samardzija has a non-awful month and some idiot is more willing to take a chance on him in late July than they would be right now. He's already been so bad he's a sunk cost, anything we get back for him is just barely compensation at this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 01:33 AM)
With how much our best trade piece has struggled there is genuinely no reason to rush this one. Worst case scenario we're still at the bottom of the division mid-July and players are still as worthless as they look now. No way that's worse than where we stand right now. Maybe Samardzija has a non-awful month and some idiot is more willing to take a chance on him in late July than they would be right now. He's already been so bad he's a sunk cost, anything we get back for him is just barely compensation at this point.

you can look it at it that way.

i am looking at if the cost is not that extravagant of a cost, team may be willing to pay the right price instead of getting into a bid to the highest seller, one.

the bid to the highest seller will be when team are more desperate. also team may not want to pay for those rentals, so they may pay the price for a player who is cost effective for several yrs. this also includes rookies and minor who is major league ready kind of player or pkg of players.

the main point, how much would it be worth for the other team to pay to get it done.

and trading for Shark, the other team needs to entice the sox to make this trade..... the going cost is going to be ....... let the other team decide that.

all the sox needs to do is say yah or nah.

Balta is right, I know that, but I'd still like to get rid of Shark ASAP. Some NL team might take him off our hands. Just get a top catcher prospect and an infielder and call it a day.