Midseason Additions

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
With how much our best trade piece has struggled there is genuinely no reason to rush this one. Worst case scenario we're still at the bottom of the division mid-July and players are still as worthless as they look now. No way that's worse than where we stand right now. Maybe Samardzija has a non-awful month and some idiot is more willing to take a chance on him in late July than they would be right now. He's already been so bad he's a sunk cost, anything we get back for him is just barely compensation at this point.

Samardzija was good tonight

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
The White Sox have the worst average offense in MLB and 2nd worst defense in MLB over the last 10 seasons. This isn't working.

Your statement is true. Doesn't mean they wouldn't need a haul to trade Quintana though. I'd want more for Q than Philly wants for Hamels

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 06:10 AM)
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/6/4/87289...-power-rankings

Too bad Ramirez has decreasing demand with all the teams currently looking for help there.

Trading LaRoche so quickly would be an admission of overreach by the front office.

the decreasing value of these players has to be look at. however i believe that decreasing value will not affect the decision making of some of these teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)

Too bad Ramirez has decreasing demand with all the teams currently looking for help there.

Trading LaRoche so quickly would be an admission of overreach by the front office.

I had to laugh when reading that article. Calling Gordon Beckham a "hot commodity" defies intelligent thought.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)

Thanks for posting this. Gets the wheels turning....

If the Sox are unable to get on track, there are some very interesting possibilities for the trade deadline.

The Dodgers, Padres and Giants are all likely to check in about Samardzija. Big NLW ballparks are a good fit for Samardzija.

Interesting the Nat's could be looking for a 1B. LaRoche? Not sure the Nat's are looking for someone under contract through 2016 but a reunion does not sound too crazy. The Sox could slide Avi to DH and use Shuck or call up one of Coats or Thompson to see what they have to offer at the MLB level.

The Mets and Yanks appear to be the teams that could have interest in Alexei.

We should have a much better idea where the Sox stand a month from now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

If the Sox are unable to get on track, there are some very interesting possibilities for the trade deadline.

The Dodgers, Padres and Giants are all likely to check in about Samardzija. Big NLW ballparks are a good fit for Samardzija.

Interesting the Nat's could be looking for a 1B. LaRoche? Not sure the Nat's are looking for someone under contract through 2016 but a reunion does not sound too crazy. The Sox could slide Avi to DH and use Shuck or call up one of Coats or Thompson to see what they have to offer at the MLB level.

don't forget Tor they need both sp and rp. and hou.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
don't forget Tor they need both sp and rp. and hou.

Yeah, I forgot about Toronto and even the Yanks as possibilities for Samardzija. For some reason I think the Astros will look for pitching elsewhere but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Yeah, I forgot about Toronto and even the Yanks as possibilities for Samardzija. For some reason I think the Astros will look for pitching elsewhere but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

answering the teams needs for help, this can be a good time to sell, and to the highest bidder.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)

I posted this in the Samardzija trade package thread, but thought it was relevant here as well.

Let's think, what teams need pitching help.

Houston. Toronto. Yankees. Rangers. Pittsburg. Dodgers. Boston (Chris Sale, hahaha jk)

Teams that need SS help:

San Diego. Pittsburg. Mets. Yankees.

If the Sox are out of it, I think we can start thinking of packages with these teams.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
answering the teams needs for help, this can be a good time to sell, and to the highest bidder.

Too early yet. For one, teams including the White Sox are still sorting out whether they are buyers or sellers. Two, Samardzija needs to pitch more consistently to boost his trade value and that requires more starts and time.

Patience sox fans, nothing needs to be decided yet.

For all we know, this team could pull it together over the next month and may want to keep Samardzija for the rest of the season to make a September run at the playoffs.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
I posted this in the Samardzija trade package thread, but thought it was relevant here as well.

Let's think, what teams need pitching help.

Houston. Toronto. Yankees. Rangers. Pittsburg. Dodgers. Boston (Chris Sale, hahaha jk)

Teams that need SS help:

San Diego. Pittsburg. Mets. Yankees.

If the Sox are out of it, I think we can start thinking of packages with these teams.

Looks like you and I are the same page. :cheers

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Too early yet. For one, teams including the White Sox are still sorting out whether they are buyers or sellers. Two, Samardzija needs to pitch more consistently to boost his trade value and that requires more starts and time.

Patience sox fans, nothing needs to be decided yet.

For all we know, this team could pull it together over the next month and may want to keep Samardzija for the rest of the season to make a September run at the playoffs.

i am very much aware that this is too early. maybe all the talk of trading is getting to me. mostly, sometimes making a trade to shake the team up and at the same time fix major holes that the team has. the team never really made a REAL effort to fix these hole. this idea of a trade is more of necessity..... bad management in their decision making.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
If the Sox can dump Alexei, would anyone else be interested in buying low on Chris Owings?

Why not, I think we have tried worse. Owings is supposed to be pretty good defensively.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
We have Tim Anderson.

But Anderson is at Birmingham, needs lots of work on his defense and likely not considered to be ready until 2017. And there's no promise he sticks at SS. His development is not far enough along to count on just yet.

I just hope the team goes one way or the other over the next month. If Melky, Alexei, Eaton, and even Sanchez (hitting worse than several pitchers) regress to the mean that should be enough offense to get back above .500 with the starting rotation doing what it should be doing. If instead you think Melky, Alexei, Sanchez, can be historically bad for an entire season, well, then we'll likely have dug a deep enough hole to be sellers in July.

Shark will go and flipping LaRoche would become a potentially decent idea. We'd add player(s), free up money and just need to land one of:

Chris Davis

Jason Heyward

Justin Upton

Y. Cespedes

Ben Zobrist

Plug Davis in at DH or improve the outfield with one of those guys and push Melky to DH/OF. We're then back in basically the same situation as 2015 but now with hopeful improvement from Melky, Micah, additional players from Shark/LaRoche trades hopefully a new C and/or 3B, Beck/ E Johnson or a FA (Shark!) in the rotation with Fulmer knocking on the door.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I just hope the team goes one way or the other over the next month. If Melky, Alexei, Eaton, and even Sanchez (hitting worse than several pitchers) regress to the mean that should be enough offense to get back above .500 with the starting rotation doing what it should be doing. If instead you think Melky, Alexei, Sanchez, can be historically bad for an entire season, well, then we'll likely have dug a deep enough hole to be sellers in July.

Shark will go and flipping LaRoche would become a potentially decent idea. We'd add player(s), free up money and just need to land one of:

Chris Davis

Jason Heyward

Justin Upton

Y. Cespedes

Ben Zobrist

Plug Davis in at DH or improve the outfield with one of those guys and push Melky to DH/OF. We're then back in basically the same situation as 2015 but now with hopeful improvement from Melky, Micah, additional players from Shark/LaRoche trades hopefully a new C and/or 3B, Beck/ E Johnson or a FA (Shark!) in the rotation with Fulmer knocking on the door.

I'm a huge Justin Upton fan, I would love him on the Sox.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)

Chris Davis

Jason Heyward

Justin Upton

Y. Cespedes

Ben Zobrist

Since nearly every NL player goes bust with the Sox, better to stick with Davis, Cespedes, Zobrist or Alex Gordon.

We aren't realistically going to spend Upton money next offseason anyway...not on just one player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
We aren't realistically going to spend Upton money next offseason anyway...not on just one player.

Probably not. I was just listing the legitimate positive additions on the FA market. And I believe Alex Gordon has another option next year.

I don't really expect they will end up trading LaRoche. If the team nosedives, Shark is the only thing that will go and bring a return. Bonifacio on a salary dump. Alexei won't traded and he'll be brought back next year.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
Probably not. I was just listing the legitimate positive additions on the FA market. And I believe Alex Gordon has another option next year.

I don't really expect they will end up trading LaRoche. If the team nosedives, Shark is the only thing that will go and bring a return. Bonifacio on a salary dump. Alexei won't traded and he'll be brought back next year.

I'm 99.9% Gordon will be a free agent next season.

(source: Cot's Baseball Contracts)

4 years/$37.5M (2012-15), plus 2016 player option

signed extension with Kansas City 3/30/12, replacing 1 year/$4.775M deal signed 2/9/12, avoiding arbitration, $5.45M-$4.15M

12:$6M, 13:$9M, 14:$10M, 15:$12.5M, 16:$12.5M player option

award bonuses, including $50,000 for All-Star selection

salaries may increase based on awards, performance:

2011-12 Gold Gloves, 2013 All Star increase 2014 salary to $10.75M, 2015 salary to $13.25M, 2016 option to $13.25M

2013 Gold Glove, 2014 All Star increase 2015 salary and 2016 player option to $14M each

So Gordon has the same choice Jeff Samardzija does (with a QO), basically, PLAYER but not a club option.

He could, conceivably take less money to stay in KC for one year (if he completely nosedives from here on out), but time and time again a player will go for that big contract when they're in their early 30's.

Shares the same agent (Close) with Derek Jeter, fwiw.

As far as Alexei Ramirez, it does look like the long-predicted decline that was being predicted two seasons ago is finally setting in...

Edited by caulfield12