US Cellular Field Parking

BigHurt3515

We will be going to 2 games in mid June and are wanting to know if there are any cheaper alternatives than the $20 parking at the stadium? We are staying in the Mount Prospect area so I know we can take the Metra downtown and then take the L to the game (would rather not do that for the night game) but it really wouldn't be cheaper with 2 people. If there are any parking tips please let me know.

Thanks!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 31, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
We will be going to 2 games in mid June and are wanting to know if there are any cheaper alternatives than the $20 parking at the stadium? We are staying in the Mount Prospect area so I know we can take the Metra downtown and then take the L to the game (would rather not do that for the night game) but it really wouldn't be cheaper with 2 people. If there are any parking tips please let me know.

Thanks!

Park on the street in front of Schaller's pump. No sticker or anything required.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
Or you could park a little closer by Shinnocks or the place that used to be jimbo's and ask them for a parking pass, and park on the street.

I have never walked around the southside so I am not sure how far those places are from the stadium and if it is safe to walk in those areas to and from the stadium at night

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 31, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
I have never walked around the southside so I am not sure how far those places are from the stadium and if it is safe to walk in those areas to and from the stadium at night

Its nothing to worry about. Safer than Wrigley during the day. Cork and Kerry is probably the closest, about 2 blocks north. Schallers is on Halsted about 4 blocks west and a block or 2 south. If you are early enough they actually have a lot to park in. Shinocks is a couple blocjpks east and closer to the park than Schallers.

If you wanna save money, you have to park further away. Shallers would be your best option. About 6 blocks from the park. You can park at Buffalo Wings and Things - they have a shuttle. Same with Ricobene's. All in Bridgeport. Google them.

If you wanna be as safe as possible, park in the lot or take a shuttle. They usually charge $15 at the non-Sox run lot by 35th Street hot dog stand. I live in the neighborhood, walked home for well over 150 games, never had an issue. Just be aware and leave when the crowd does.

If safety is such an issue than why not sacrifice the $20 for parking right next to the stadium? It’s like someone asking for a cheap 2-bedroom apartment but it has to be in a safe neighborhood with zero to no crime rate. It’s nearly impossible. I understand the OP is not from around here, but quite honestly the reputation the area around the park gets is over exaggerated.

It really is true though ... it does get over-exaggerated in terms of safety around the park. The Sox could probably increase attendance with a PR campaign focusing on the parks and bars around the park rather than the team, ha.

I don't like to pay to park either, so I look for open spots in Armour Square on any street north of 29th Street.

Around 10 years ago, when the city started to have money problems (around the same time that red light cameras were installed in the city), the restricted parking zone around U.S. Cellular Field was greatly expanded.

Parking is only allowed for residents between 29th Street and 35th Street (except for parts of 31st Street), so visitors can not park in that zone unless they have a pass.

Visitors can not park on either side of 29th Street, but anywhere north of 29th Street is allowed. You can look for spaces on Wells, Princeton, or Shields (north-south streets), 27th or 28th (east-west streets). Just in case, check the signs for any parking restrictions. The neighborhood is Chinese / Italian / Croatian, so I think the area is fairly safe.

This spring, the city began to re-pave some of the streets in Armour Square, so check for any additional construction restrictions, and watch out for fresh oil on the streets layed-down by construction workers.

Parking is allowed for anyone on some parts of 31st Street. I think the south half of 31st Street in restricted, but the north half is open. Parking spaces in front of retail businesses on the north half of 31st Street have parking meters, but a few spaces in front of residential are totally free (on the north side of 31st). I do not recommend parking a new car on 31st because the street is a thoroughfare, but if you have a worn out car, the vehicle should be OK.

My method is not for everyone because of the long distance. But if you don't mind the 8 block walk, walking is good exercise. I would rather spend the $20 on food or souvenirs.

Remember to allow plenty of time when driving to a Sox game. If you are coming from the northwest suburbs, keep in mind that the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (Interstate 90, formerly the Northwest Tollway) is under construction. Plus, driving into the city on Interstate 90, traffic gets backed up around the River Road Toll Plaza where Interstate 190 (from O'Hare) merges into Interstate 90. And near downtown the 'spaghetti bowl' area where the Kennedy Expressway (Interstate 90 / 94) / Dan Ryan Expressway (Interstate 90 / 94) meets the Eisenhower Expressway (Interstate 290) is currently under construction. The name of the area is now 'Jane Byrne Interchange'.

Edited by InTheDriversSeat