WGN Morning News Reporting The Cell "Half-Empty"

RibbieRubarb

It was a good crowd yesterday, but didn't someone say the LD wasn't sold out? Sure looked like it was, but what do I know, I was too busy counting the curiously high number of Twins fans in attendance last night.

5 Twinkie fans behind me, talking like Cubs fans--"big game, and they still don't sell out" "they never stood and cheered when they were 8 games out of first"

Whiny f***s, the lot of them.

It was a good crowd yesterday, but didn't someone say the LD wasn't sold out?  Sure looked like it was, but what do I know, I was too busy counting the curiously high number of Twins fans in attendance last night.

5 Twinkie fans behind me, talking like Cubs fans--"big game, and they still don't sell out"  "they never stood and cheered when they were 8 games out of first"

Whiny f***s, the lot of them.

It wasn't. Julie at the upgrade window said they had just a little over 100 seats left at gametime.

Pathetic.  Any criticism is well deserved. If you cant sell out a mid september battle for first, you have some serious issues.

Kids are back at school, it's hard to get out for a Monday game, regardless of price or situation. Given that the idiots in Sox Marketing spend all their time and money trying to pitch the team to families, this is what's going to happen after late August.

The crowd was BUZZING last night, "half empty" or not!!

When Bart got out of that 7th inning jam, I swear the place was gonna collapse from the noise!!

Hopefully some nice-sized crowds will show for the remaining three games.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember reading that the Sox have a very impressive W-L record when playing in front of 30,000+ home fans.

Once it hits September baseball is not in the forefront of most peoples minds. Also on a weekday night at 7 most people are just gettiing home from work after battling the insane Chicago traffic. The last thing they will be doing is heading back into the city for a baseball game. I wouldnt expect any more than 30-35000 for any weeknight game the remainder of the season. The weekend games have to compete with college and pro football and football will win that fight every time. In all but a few cities baseball is and has been dying a slow death.

I was kind of surprised doing my job rounds last night that USCF wasn't filled to capacity for last nights ballgame. But it was far from half-full. And, this is JMHO, even without a sell-out, there appeared to me from the Dan Ryan that there had to be more than 32,000 in attendance. There were a few rows of fans in the last sections of the left and right field UD. But what do I know :huh: ?

Speaking of traffic for last nights game, anybody get to smell the rotten meat and poultry dumped from a truck in a traffic crash in the S/B Dan Ryan Local Lanes right under 35th St.? Good stuff :puke.

5 Twinkie fans behind me, talking like Cubs fans--"big game, and they still don't sell out"  "they never stood and cheered when they were 8 games out of first"

Twins fans need to think before they speak or just shut the f*** up

Sox attendance: 72 dates

avg: 23,202

Twins attendance: 73 dates

avg: 22,957

Twins fans need to think before they speak or just shut the f*** up

Sox attendance: 72 dates

avg: 23,202

Twins attendance: 73 dates

avg: 22,957

Great point.

My biggest beef is the fact that the size of the crowd is even reported at all. Who the hell cares? IMO, the constant reporting of the low attendance could possibly be the biggest reason that attendance is still below average. If you keep telling the marginal fans how nobody is showing up, they too, like lemmings, will stay away in droves.

Whenever a media type is stumped for something to say or write about, they fall back on the Sox attendance. It should really be a non-issue, especially after such a huge win as last night was.

Pathetic. Any criticism is well deserved. If you cant sell out a mid september battle for first, you have some serious issues.

Why should we go and give them a sellout when they aren't going to win the division anyway? Maybe if Bummer would change the future and let the Sox win, more people would go.