KW: play is "embarassing" but team can still win ALC

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
The Robin haters will be unhappy. KW said if these players can't get it done, they need to change the mix of players not staff.

So he's basically admitting that him and Rick did a s***ty job of putting a good roster together , but don't worry, they will try to get it right next time?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
I think you know this, but you're not going to get an answer here because the proof does not exist. Just a mischaracterization of a relationship rooted from some people's preconceived judgement of a specific individual. In short, Kenny Williams is brash in his public dealings so he's ruining the front office.

Which might be a good reason for KW to limit the number of times he gets out and speaks to the public, thus presenting himself as the brash voice of the full front office.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Where was this inspirational speech 2-3 weeks ago when it was really needed the most?

Just for the fans, timed for the prime attendance months of June/July/early August?

Lord knows inspirational speeches help you hit a baseball better. It's just like football, you just have to try harder. :lol:

Two things to come out of this story.

1.) I'm glad he said the team has at times been "embarrassing." I like that.

2.) Sometimes we debate on here expectations for this team. He once again says the team is good enough to win the division. Case closed on that argument. A lot of Soxtalk posters write that we are in some building process and the team still isn't good enough to win. The Sox said it in spring training and said again this roster is good enough to win the division.

Now I would disagree obviously as I stand by my comment that 3B (Gillaspie) 2B (Sanchez), catcher (both of em), DH (LaRoche) and CF (Eaton) and LF for the most part (powerless Melky) all stink as well as our baserunning and defense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
I think you know this, but you're not going to get an answer here because the proof does not exist. Just a mischaracterization of a relationship rooted from some people's preconceived judgement of a specific individual. In short, Kenny Williams is brash in his public dealings so he's ruining the front office.

Yeah, but I was hoping there was something, anything really, to explain why certain posters blame KW for this disappointing season. I can't recall a single article or rumor that stated any of the moves this offseason were because of KW. That's not to say he didn't offer his opinon on potential deals or contribute towards the vision of the organization (he is the club president), but I truly believe this is Hahn's ship and he's ultimately making the decisions. The "KW has veto power" angle is significantly overplayed on this site IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:52 AM)
Yeah, but I was hoping there was something, anything really, to explain why certain posters blame KW for this disappointing season. I can't recall a single article or rumor that stated any of the moves this offseason were because of KW. That's not to say he didn't offer his opinon on potential deals or contribute towards the vision of the organization (he is the club president), but I truly believe this is Hahn's ship and he's ultimately making the decisions. The "KW has veto power" angle is significantly overplayed on this site IMO.

right now, outside this post, the sox FO has a 2 headed monster running the show. KW and Hahn. so who is running the show, just how much power does KW has or better yet, how much freedom Hahn had or has?

the little article yesterday again muddies the water of accountability or on who is running the ship with the players acquisitions and trade. there is no concrete proof of what is happening in the FO. this is why, imho what ever happens to the sox org, by default KW has that veto power, he has that position of president to override Hahn.

just to assume this is Hahn show, and having KW in the background, one can not overlook KW contribution to this season thus far. there is still a huge perception that KW has more than his hand in this show.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:37 AM)

2.) Sometimes we debate on here expectations for this team. He once again says the team is good enough to win the division. Case closed on that argument. A lot of Soxtalk posters write that we are in some building process and the team still isn't good enough to win. The Sox said it in spring training and said again this roster is good enough to win the division.

Now I would disagree obviously as I stand by my comment that 3B (Gillaspie) 2B (Sanchez), catcher (both of em), DH (LaRoche) and CF (Eaton) and LF for the most part (powerless Melky) all stink as well as our baserunning and defense.

re KW article, he stated the the sox is good enuf to win the division, i believe that was many expectations going into the season, but to possible believe that to be the case. i don't know. many things will need to happen, several teams in the central will need to implode, while at the same time, the sox will need to go on 1 wicked winning streak.

the problem that KW did not or continues to forget, sox fans are smart. they can work this sabe stats and formed their own opinions. they do not need someone to suggest otherwise.

This was from March and was discussed then. KW said he enjoys having the final say

Hahn does the day to day stuff KW used to do, now KW still has veto power.

Rick Hahn was still a genius this winter for all the moves when this came out. It wasn't until the Sox lost games when KW's fingerprints were all over the moves and the Sox were deemed doomed for years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0321-story.html

Edited by Dick Allen

just to come out and give, what i consider a fair waring to the players in a sense, is laying all the blame on their shoulders.

how bout some, so - so calls that the manager did, which added to this season so far. where is RV accountability in this mess. no one is going to tell me, none of this is not RV fault and he is blameless.

after reading this, he is completely blaming the players. how bout not fully addressing the holes on this team, yeah i forgot, it is the players fault.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 10:37 PM)

That's about the 15th straight year he he has said that. So far he has been right twice, so I don't think the odds are ever in his favor.

Maybe KW had more to his message. By saying this team should compete for the playoffs, he could be laying the groundwork for changes. If the team fails, then changes would have to happen. At thst point Hahn can say despite the players not living up to expectations, we are forced to replace the manager. Maybe the FO decided they need to start dropping hints that a change is coming so the RV separation is less of a media circus than the Bulls are facing.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
Luckily, only RV gives the speeches. I'm imaging Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack.

Well in case you forgot, Webb and Noonan beat Judge Smails

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
Maybe KW had more to his message. By saying this team should compete for the playoffs, he could be laying the groundwork for changes. If the team fails, then changes would have to happen. At thst point Hahn can say despite the players not living up to expectations, we are forced to replace the manager. Maybe the FO decided they need to start dropping hints that a change is coming so the RV separation is less of a media circus than the Bulls are facing.

If that were the case, I doubt he would have said if this group doesn't work out the mix of players will have to be changed, not the staff.

As bad as we've been and we've been bad from the bad base-running to the bad infield defence to the bad hitting and the bad catchers, the strange thing is that we're only 3 games off .500, 3.5 games off the Wild Card and 7 games off the division lead.

This is doable. All it takes is for the players to tighten up, two or three of the hitters to start to find their bat again, a few series wins and we're there.

We've already beaten the Astros and the A's on the road, so we see how this team can perform and so far against the terrible AL East, we've only played the Orioles and the Blue Jays on the road.

The last couple of season's, it was June that defined our season.

Last season we had a series of games where we went 0-3 to the Royals, 1-1 against the Giants, 0-4 to the Twins, 1-2 to the Orioles. 2-10 in the space of 14 days and we never recovered from it. We were treading water around .500 before that happened.

The season before last week in May and Early June it was 0-3 to the Cubs, 0-3 to the A's, 1-2 to the Mariners, 2-2 against the A's. 3-10 in the space of 14 days and we never recovered from it. We were treading water around .500 before that happened.

This season if we can stay around .500 in June, we can push on after the All-Star break but the fear is that another collapse similar to the last two seasons would kill us.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)

well, you do make a point, but why just make it appears it is just the players fault.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
If that were the case, I doubt he would have said if this group doesn't work out the mix of players will have to be changed, not the staff.

oops.... i didn't see this.

but nice point.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
As bad as we've been and we've been bad from the bad base-running to the bad infield defence to the bad hitting and the bad catchers, the strange thing is that we're only 3 games off .500, 3.5 games off the Wild Card and 7 games off the division lead.

This is doable. All it takes is for the players to tighten up, two or three of the hitters to start to find their bat again, a few series wins and we're there.

We've already beaten the Astros and the A's on the road, so we see how this team can perform and so far against the terrible AL East, we've only played the Orioles and the Blue Jays on the road.

The last couple of season's, it was June that defined our season.

Last season we had a series of games where we went 0-3 to the Royals, 1-1 against the Giants, 0-4 to the Twins, 1-2 to the Orioles. 2-10 in the space of 14 days and we never recovered from it. We were treading water around .500 before that happened.

The season before last week in May and Early June it was 0-3 to the Cubs, 0-3 to the A's, 1-2 to the Mariners, 2-2 against the A's. 3-10 in the space of 14 days and we never recovered from it. We were treading water around .500 before that happened.

This season if we can stay around .500 in June, we can push on after the All-Star break but the fear is that another collapse similar to the last two seasons would kill us.

while you are pointing June as the tell tale month, i will say this, this team with the players on it, can rattle of a nice winning streak and catch many team unaware. this team, in my gut can put a quick set of number quickly. so for me, i will wait until the ASG weekend.

maybe it me being a die hard fan the its not over until mathematically proven.

What seems like a great idea, sometimes doesn't work out that way. If the Sox signed Panda, the 3rd base problem would be considered solved. Last year, Gillaspie had a better OPS, but that had to be an outlier. Gillaspie hasn't been good offensively, but look:

Gillaspie OPS .682

Panda OPS .688

You would think Panda would get better, but, many here are saying the White Sox hitters are what they are, so why wouldn't that apply to all teams? Panda is a better fielding $100 million Conor Gillaspie.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
What seems like a great idea, sometimes doesn't work out that way. If the Sox signed Panda, the 3rd base problem would be considered solved. Last year, Gillaspie had a better OPS, but that had to be an outlier. Gillaspie hasn't been good offensively, but look:

Gillaspie OPS .682

Panda OPS .688

you have a point, but that cost..... whatever additions to the team may not have been done.

but that spark that is missing may have been provided by Panda.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
while you are pointing June as the tell tale month, i will say this, this team with the players on it, can rattle of a nice winning streak and catch many team unaware. this team, in my gut can put a quick set of number quickly. so for me, i will wait until the ASG weekend.

maybe it me being a die hard fan the its not over until mathematically proven.

I agree that I think this set of players can do this.

But whilst treading .500 if we have another 2-10 or 3-10 streak in June like we have done for the last couple of years, then the effectiveness of when they do rattle off this winning streak could get reduced.

I think the signs are there for us to go on that streak, La Roche is starting to hit, Eaton is starting to hit, Sale and Samardzija are finding their groove and even Johnny Danks pitched a complete game shut-out. We've even seen teams like the A's and the Astros gift us outs with poor baserunning.

I just thought I'd put out there that we've been in similar positions the last two years and found a way in June to kill the rest of the season.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
I agree that I think this set of players can do this.

But whilst treading .500 if we have another 2-10 or 3-10 streak in June like we have done for the last couple of years, then the effectiveness of when they do rattle off this winning streak could get reduced.

I think the signs are there for us to go on that streak, La Roche is starting to hit, Eaton is starting to hit, Sale and Samardzija are finding their groove and even Johnny Danks pitched a complete game shut-out. We've even seen teams like the A's and the Astros gift us outs with poor baserunning.

I just thought I'd put out there that we've been in similar positions the last two years and found a way in June to kill the rest of the season.

your points you posted has to be taken into account.