KW: play is "embarassing" but team can still win ALC

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
This is Hahn's 3rd season as the GM. He took over a team whose shelf life expired and was pretty bad. He's done a lot the last 3 years to make things bearable. I still think they will be entertaining this summer.

The reason team took a major nose dive was because of 1 man KW, yet he still is around in the decision making process. KW drafting skills or lack there of killed this organization. Does he get fired hell no, he gets promoted, that is insanity!

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
The reason team took a major nose dive was because of 1 man KW, yet he still is around in the decision making process. KW drafting skills or lack there of killed this organization. Does he get fired hell no, he gets promoted, that is insanity!

Just look at 2010. Thome wanted to come back and was willing to play for $1 million. Ozzie said no. JR said Ozzie deserved to manage the team he wanted. Kotsay DH'd. Put up a -1.3 WAR. Thome put up a 3 WAR for the Twins. They finished 6 games ahead of the White Sox. Who knows what happens if the Sox had a real hitter DHing.I am not a big KW fan, although he gets credit for a WS, but to put the blame on one person cannot be accurate, at all.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
It is a vicious circle where no one is too blame year after year, just ask Sox management.

Your memory doesn't work so well. This is with a simple google search

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ams-takes-.html

"This is not a case of guys who don’t have the ability to do it," Williams said. "For whatever reason, it’s not happening. And I’ll own up to that. I put it together, I’ll own up to it. I have a great manager, a great pitching coach and if it’s not getting done, it’s not getting done because I didn’t put the right pieces together. Bottom line.

"Now where are we? We’re two places. We have to explore other seams outside of the organization and we have to try to continue to get what we have in this clubhouse better."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011092...orts/709279628/

Williams said that over the past year, he repeatedly has told chairman Jerry Reinsdorf he'd step down as GM and assume another position in the organization.

"I offered it because, listen, I'm a big believer in self-analysis and self-assessment," Williams said Tuesday. "I have a perspective that is one of needing, not wanting, needing this organization to be amongst the best in baseball.

"Another world championship puts you on the map, in my opinion, as an organization that stands and speaks for something. And that's what I wanted.

"That's what I still want out of my tenure here. But if I'm the cog in the machine that is tripping us up, and my decisions are such now that they don't warrant, or my style doesn't warrant, more opportunities to get that done, that's fine.

"I've been sitting in this chair for a long time anyway. I think I've told you guys before that there comes a time where everyone has an expiration date.

"I can accept that. But I'd still like to be a part of building something and hope that it can transition into that. If it doesn't, it doesn't. And you move on. But for now I'm a White Sox and I want another banner up there."

http://joeposnanski.com/joevault/?p=9

“You know what?” Williams says. “It’s our fault — it’s my fault in particular — if we don’t get a lot of credit for what we’re doing here. There are some people in this game who go around saying, ‘We’re trying to do this,’ and ‘We’re trying to do that.’ There are people who remind everyone of the good moves they made. And they get a lot of press for that. We just don’t do that. We fly low and try to get the job done. So, no, people don’t talk as much about what the Chicago White Sox are doing.”

So, no, people don’t talk as much about what the Chicago White Sox are doing.

No one talks about you because you're below .500 again and scraping the bottom of the division again. They talked about you in the offseason and then your roster fell flat on its face, again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
No one talks about you because you're below .500 again and scraping the bottom of the division again. They talked about you in the offseason and then your roster fell flat on its face, again.

[That quote is from 2010]

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
So you're claiming that someone has taken the blame and 5 seasons and 0 playoff appearances later we're still talking about the exact same person?

I am going to assume you can read, and let you answer your own question.

Not to change the subject, but speaking of trades not made last off season, does anyone know how close did Sox came to making a deal with Dodgers involving Alexi? I vaguely remember posters talking about LA rookie outfielder Joc Pederson. Did Sox have a chance of getting this kid? He's the best looking outfield prospect since Mike Trout. Now, if we had a chance at Pederson and turned it down, then a head or two should roll.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Not to change the subject, but speaking of trades not made last off season, does anyone know how close did Sox came to making a deal with Dodgers involving Alexi? I vaguely remember posters talking about LA rookie outfielder Joc Pederson. Did Sox have a chance of getting this kid? He's the best looking outfield prospect since Mike Trout. Now, if we had a chance at Pederson and turned it down, then a head or two should roll.

No, the White Sox had no chance of getting him for Alexei.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
Kenny is rick's boss. He sure an answer questions related to the makeup of the team.

I love how everyone is so anti Kenny, but think nothing of theo epstien having Jed hoyer as GM in name only.

What does Theo Epstein have to do with the White Sox repeatedly missing the playoffs under Kenny?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Then spending $100 million of additional funds on this roster with veterans over 30 who you expect to gradually get worse and more likely to be injured each year and trading for a major addition with 1 year on his contract was absolutely foolhardy. If your team isn't ready to compete right now, why on Earth are you spending money on free agents? Why on Earth are you trading players for a guy who won't be here in a year?

Yes. Yes. Yes. The Sox told us this team was capable of winning the division and KW said it again this week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)

Yes. Yes. Yes. As much as people want to say nobody expected anything out of this team, again I tell you we've been told it is a team capable of winning the division.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Kenny is rick's boss. He sure an answer questions related to the makeup of the team.

I love how everyone is so anti Kenny, but think nothing of theo epstien having Jed hoyer as GM in name only.

This board just needs a scapegoat SO badly. Reality be damned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
Out of curiosity, how many here listen to the State of the Union address and believe that it is all going to happen?

When we start putting money towards something in the SOTU that's when its supposed to happen and its effectiveness can be evaluated.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
This board just needs a scapegoat SO badly. Reality be damned.

I am not a KW fan — frankly, I think he is a pompous and past his shelf life with this organization — but the scapegoating of him does get ridiculous.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
I am not a KW fan — frankly, I think he is a pompous and past his shelf life with this organization — but the scapegoating of him does get ridiculous.

If it's not RV, it's KW or JR or DC or freaking Chris Rongey or something.

I made a new logo:

LHSlnKz.jpg

What team has gone for 7 seasons in a row without a playoff performance and has fans that are 100% content with that? (Before someone says the Cubs, it's the 25% of the Cubs' "casual" fans who come to one or two games per year on a bus or regional tour from outlying states and whose trips are planned a year in advance, not the "local" Cubs' fans who are much more invested in the team).

If the fans and posters at places like SoxTalk completely gave up or didn't care about their team at all...well...wouldn't that be an even bigger problem?

Edited by caulfield12

Harold Reynolds predicted 4-5 managers would be fired before the All-Star break....

The ones MLB.com showed on screen were Bryan Price, Dan Jennings, Bud Black, John Farrell and Ryne Sandberg.

Bill Ripken predicted the Tigers would have one of the best records in baseball in June..."not happy in third place and would be getting Martinez and Verlander back, Anibal Sanchez should come around"