6/1 Games

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
I'm curious about May. How does a guy with enough speed to steal 25 bags (so far), hit 10 doubles and have zero triples? I'm kind of puzzled by that.

apprehension on stretching the double to a triple.

maybe afraid of being 2 aggressive on the base path.

those 2 reasons comes to mind

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
I'm curious about May. How does a guy with enough speed to steal 25 bags (so far), hit 10 doubles and have zero triples? I'm kind of puzzled by that.

Could be a number of things. First, triples are such a low-likelihood event that there's a lot of noise in the data, so whether or not someone hit one in less than two months' time doesn't mean a whole lot. Luck comes into play. May also lacks power, so he's not hitting a lot of wall-bangers.

I would just guess it's because he's very rarely pulling the ball down the RF line...against RHP.

That's where the majority of triples come from. Higher quality pitching in AA, better fastballs, harder to pull into the corner unless you get some off-speed stuff or are a dead-red FB hitter. Also depends on the RCF alley in Birmingham. Unless the outfielders are way out of position, it's almost impossible to get a triple to RCF at US Cellular to that RCF gap (as opposed to bouncing around down in the corner).

Last year, he had 10 triples.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
I would just guess it's because he's very rarely pulling the ball down the RF line...against RHP.

That's where the majority of triples come from. Higher quality pitching in AA, better fastballs, harder to pull into the corner unless you get some off-speed stuff or are a dead-red FB hitter. Also depends on the RCF alley in Birmingham. Unless the outfielders are way out of position, it's almost impossible to get a triple to RCF at US Cellular to that RCF gap (as opposed to bouncing around down in the corner).

that is a good point as well.

either way, i am mildly surprise and happy that he is doing this well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Could be a number of things. First, triples are such a low-likelihood event that there's a lot of noise in the data, so whether or not someone hit one in less than two months' time doesn't mean a whole lot. Luck comes into play. May also lacks power, so he's not hitting a lot of wall-bangers.

I think you hit it with the lack of power. The only reason I noticed is due to looking at stats for both May and Anderson and noticed Anderson hit his fifth 3B on the season last night and surprisingly May has none. No denying the difference in power between Anderson and May,lol.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)

I think you and NorthSide are correct. Maybe May is splitting the outfielders enough for the doubles but not able to hit the ball to the wall to get the three bagger. And, I'm probably looking to much into this,lol.

I just found it kind of odd so I thought I would ask about it. Thanks for the replies NorthSide, Caulfiled and LDF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)

Also depends somewhat on the ballpark. Parks that have funky angled walls tend to produce more triples than parks like the Cell that have a pretty simple circular pattern, wouldn't you say?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Also depends somewhat on the ballpark. Parks that have funky angled walls tend to produce more triples than parks like the Cell that have a pretty simple circular pattern, wouldn't you say?

Sure, but in this case it is two hitters on the same team playing the same ballparks the same number of times (more or less).