Urlacher

marsh

but could he be better? i know a lot of people just absolutely love him, and i think he is a great player. but could he help the defense more as a safety? it seems to me that the one criticism people have with him is that he can't shed blocks. he can use his speed to beat the block, or his agility to go around the block, but once a guy is on him he is pretty much out of the play.

urlacher could be as good or better than guys like ronnie lott and john lynch. put him at strong safety with mike brown at free safety and they would have an increased presence in the passing game while still being close enough to the line when necessary to make plays on the running back. i would love to see him making huge hits on recievers coming over the middle. right now recievers are catching balls behind him at the linebacker position. also at strong safety he would have the benefit of both the d line and linebackers in front of him to take the blocks. i can just see brian flying in and making big plays, dodging around other guys tangled up. he would also be able to make stronger hits than he is able to now. he would have better angles on outside running plays, not to mention the hits he would be able to put on recievers.

i think he would probably have to slim down just a bit to pick up a little speed since he'd be more responsible for the passing game, but he already is really fast. i thought about this alot and would really like to see it happen. burn away! :bringit :bang :lol:

yeah, you are probably right, he would have to work to get to a safety type body from a linebacker body. i thought that urlacher played safety in college though, so he has experience there. plus was ronnie lott anything special at one on one coverage?

yeah, you are probably right, he would have to work to get to a safety type body from a linebacker body. i thought that urlacher played safety in college though, so he has experience there. plus was ronnie lott anything special at one on one coverage?

Playing safety in college is far different than in the NFL. To play strong safety you don't need great cover skills but Urlacher's would be terrible for a safety.

Urlacher isn't perfect. Both Raw Lewis and Derrick Brooks are better then him, but he is very good at the linebacking slot and that is a more important position then the safety slot, imo.

I do think that his biggest flaw is shedding blocks, but I see him improving at it and he will get good at it. He has the tools and work ethic which means it will happen. I'd say when this team gets a real coaching staff, Urlacher will be ready to make his assault on being the BEST linebacker in the NFL.

He's now had one year where he really had to shed a lot of blocks, this will be the 2nd, after that he'll be ready.

Urlacher isn't perfect.  Both Raw Lewis and Derrick Brooks are better then him, but he is very good at the linebacking slot and that is a more important position then the safety slot, imo.

i'm sure he will improve with experience. maybe brown can the guy that can step up and intimidate some WR's. he seems to prefer the interception to the big hit, not that there's anything wrong with that, especially when he returns them for td's.

i'm not a big follower of the college game. who is supposed to go first next year? i think i remember hearing the name roy williams and that he's a cornerback. too bad for us bear fans but i think we will have a shot at that number one pick. :angry: