Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Bruce Levine and his merry band of morons need to remember that it's the Sox that have (Samardzija) what some contenders covet and therefore it's the Sox that have all the leverage, not the other way around.

Yes, that Comp. Pick and the Sox sitting marginally in the wild card hunt give the Sox a good bit of leverage.

Those Cubs trade packages don't seem that bad to me for a rent, but you do have to discount the Theo hype factor from all Cubs prospects, so I am not sure.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
There's no match between the Sox and cubs without getting insanely creative. Imo, the only pitcher the SOX will possibly move is Samardzija but the cubs are not willing to part with Schwarber which ends the conversation right there. The cubs have some OF and pitching prospects but the Sox have those as well so its doubtful the Sox would have interest.

The cubs have zero leverage in a trade with the Sox. The cubs options are quite simple...

1- give up quality prospects for one of Samardzija, Price or Cueto.

2- trade for some scraps like what the Marlins are reportedly selling.

3- make no trade and hope for the best the rest of the season.

Bruce Levine and his merry band of morons need to remember that it's the Sox that have (Samardzija) what some contenders covet and therefore it's the Sox that have all the leverage, not the other way around.

Believe Cubs are scouting Boston/New York series this weekend. My guess is they are looking at Boston and probably Buchholz-Masterson-Kelly i.e good bad-worse

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
excellent post.

Thank you kindly sir. :)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
Yes, that Comp. Pick and the Sox sitting marginally in the wild card hunt give the Sox a good bit of leverage.

Those Cubs trade packages don't seem that bad to me for a rent, but you do have to discount the Theo hype factor from all Cubs prospects, so I am not sure.

The packages aren't bad, its just that the Sox outfield is full up and they have outfielders in the minors and the same for pitching so imo there's no trade to be made without Schwarber's name involved. McKinney is a nice looking prospect but reminds me offensively of Ryan Sweeney without the defense. Almora has the defense and arm but again, the Sox have plenty of outfielders.

Schwarber for Samardzija is not a fair trade from the cubs perspective and I don't blame them. The cubs would have to devalue Schwarber by including Castro to try and balance any trade with the Sox. I cannot see the SOX having interest in Castro unless they think he could convert to 2B and hope his bat comes back around, which it could seeing as how he's only 25. A scenario along these lines is what I meant by insanely creative.

In the end it would be best for the cubs to trade their OF P prospects to a team that needs them and it would be best for the Sox to trade Samardzija to a team that has infielders to offer. There's just no match between the Sox and cubs without that insanely creative bit.

Makes for some interesting conversations though. :D

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Believe Cubs are scouting Boston/New York series this weekend. My guess is they are looking at Boston and probably Buchholz-Masterson-Kelly i.e good bad-worse

Good call man. I think Masterson and Kelly are along the lines of what the cubs are looking for and Buchholz left last night's game with tightness in his elbow which could limit the pitching market even more.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Good call man. I think Masterson and Kelly are along the lines of what the cubs are looking for and Buchholz left last night's game with tightness in his elbow which could limit the pitching market even more.

Both Masterson and Kelly have been brutal. Masterson with injuries and Kelly being sent to the minors because he sucks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

the Red Sox, however, are more in the race than the White Sox are. They can win that iffy division....Sox have no chance to win its division. I'd think Red Sox would be marginal buyers. And they need pitching, contenders or not.

Samardzija is really having quite a season. He's on pace to pretty much match his 2014 season where he put up a 4.2 WAR. He sits with a 2.4 WAR right now. His ERA is higher than normal, and his K rate has taken a little dip, but his HR right is very strong, his walk rate is at a career low, his K/BB is one of his best. His hard hit contact % is one of the lowest in his career. His clutch rating is extremely high.

He's trending upward and if this team decides to sell, I think he could actually fetch a couple top 10 prospects from a team.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Both Masterson and Kelly have been brutal. Masterson with injuries and Kelly being sent to the minors because he sucks.

Right up the cubs alley since the cubs are in the NL and wouldn't have to give up much. ;)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
the Red Sox, however, are more in the race than the White Sox are. They can win that iffy division....Sox have no chance to win its division. I'd think Red Sox would be marginal buyers. And they need pitching, contenders or not.

Now that the Yankees have Nova and Tanaka back I think they walk away with the division. Boston does not have the pitching to contend.

Anyway, back to Samardzija.

I'm hoping the Astros come calling since they are in a tight race with the Angels and are looking for pitching.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
He's trending upward and if this team decides to sell, I think he could actually fetch a couple top 10 prospects from a team.

That's why we simply have to trade him ASAP. Take the best offer and get some guys who can help the team rebuild.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
bad team, strong division, sellers market... yet I still feel like the Sox will hold.

hope i'm wrong.

i have a this hopeless feeling that the sox will not trade anyone, or anyone like Shark. i feel as ithe sox will hope that make a miraculous run and get to the wild card position.

i just don't know, this team has holes to address. the best way to addrss this is thru trades.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
Sox have not played well within their division so the 4 game series with KC could help decide what the Sox do after those 4 games are finished.

agreed big time. I believe also that this is the series that says it all. 1) KC tough team for us to beat. 2) in our division where our record is NOT very good 3) It not only closes the gap on KC and the wild card, but also shows the front office that we can beat someone tough in our division when the status of this team is on the line

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
agreed big time. I believe also that this is the series that says it all. 1) KC tough team for us to beat. 2) in our division where our record is NOT very good 3) It not only closes the gap on KC and the wild card, but also shows the front office that we can beat someone tough in our division when the status of this team is on the line

:cheers to everything you say here. Spot on.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 12:38 AM)

but i am really hoping that this series will be the trigger mechanism to kick start the sox in playing better within their division.

the turn around ..... look back to spring training and how the sCrubs kill the sox, now...... now it is a different story.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
i have a this hopeless feeling that the sox will not trade anyone, or anyone like Shark. i feel as ithe sox will hope that make a miraculous run and get to the wild card position.

i just don't know, this team has holes to address. the best way to addrss this is thru trades.

There's really nothing to worry about. If the Sox play themselves into legitimate contention before the deadline then I don't think they'll trash what they've done. However, if they don't play themselves back into it (and hovering around .500 is not "into it") then they will deal. Seems like Hahn has basically said as much.

Now, the bigger issue for me is that even if they do manage to start legitimately contending for the WC, you have to ask is that enough? Is that worth standing pat, just to have a chance to contend for a WC spot in the last 2 months. Or should you only stand pat if you feel you have a team that can not only win a WC but a world series....that's the rub, IMO. Are you in this for parades in October or banners to hang in the spring?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 03:34 AM)
There's really nothing to worry about. If the Sox play themselves into legitimate contention before the deadline then I don't think they'll trash what they've done. However, if they don't play themselves back into it (and hovering around .500 is not "into it") then they will deal. Seems like Hahn has basically said as much.

Now, the bigger issue for me is that even if they do manage to start legitimately contending for the WC, you have to ask is that enough? Is that worth standing pat, just to have a chance to contend for a WC spot in the last 2 months. Or should you only stand pat if you feel you have a team that can not only win a WC but a world series....that's the rub, IMO. Are you in this for parades in October or banners to hang in the spring?

and that is what i keep thinking. it is driving me crazy. oh well that is a short walk.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)

In modern day baseball, competing for the WC is all that matters. With this pitching, there is zero doubt this team can win October. They just might not be good enough to get there. October is a crap shoot where your odds are helped by stud pitching

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
In modern day baseball, competing for the WC is all that matters. With this pitching, there is zero doubt this team can win October. They just might not be good enough to get there. October is a crap shoot where your odds are helped by stud pitching

And herein lies the most frustrating part of the season

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)

This is why they'll try. If they get in, they can win the whole thing with their pitching.