Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Houston reportedly interested in Cueto to go along with their interest in Samardzija. Could be good for the Sox if they decide to trade Samardzija because Cueto likely costs more in a trade. Fwiw, Samardzija earns 200k less this year than Cueto so the salaries are pretty much a wash.

"As the Reds prepare to market staff ace Johnny Cueto, the three teams with the most earnest interest are the Astros, Blue Jays, and Royals, Nightengale adds on Twitter. Cueto’s cheap contract looks to be a significant factor in that interest, given that all three of those clubs currently operate at a lower payroll capacity (Houston, Kansas City) or reportedly lack financial flexibility at the deadline (Toronto)."

Mlbtr, Astros rumors.

I'm doubt seriously the Royals would trade for Samardzija so they could give Houston some competition for Cueto although Houston has more to offer. This is going to be very interesting.

If Cueto moves, then you will get all of the teams that didn't get him have to panic.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
Sounds like Toronto could be out of the mix if what's said is true.

"The Blue Jays are “regularly being asked for Marcus Stroman” as a return in trades for pitching, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. Despite the fact that Stroman won’t contribute to the team in 2015 after tearing his ACL this spring, the Blue Jays won’t be trading him, Davidi writes. Looking at the trade history of GM Alex Anthopoulos, Davidi notes that it’s probably more likely to see the Blue Jays acquire someone with some team control remaining. "

Per mlbtr.

Fine with me as I'm not impressed with anything Toronto has outside of Stroman and Norris.

Hoffman could become an ace as soon as post 2016 all-star break. Max Pentecost has the bat to start in 2017, despite the surgery. But he may not have the arm to stick at catcher if the surgeries aren't as successful as hoped.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
Sounds like Toronto could be out of the mix if what's said is true.

"The Blue Jays are “regularly being asked for Marcus Stroman” as a return in trades for pitching, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. Despite the fact that Stroman won’t contribute to the team in 2015 after tearing his ACL this spring, the Blue Jays won’t be trading him, Davidi writes. Looking at the trade history of GM Alex Anthopoulos, Davidi notes that it’s probably more likely to see the Blue Jays acquire someone with some team control remaining. "

Per mlbtr.

Fine with me as I'm not impressed with anything Toronto has outside of Stroman and Norris.

Even though the Jays are saying no, you know that Hahn is asking for Stroman and I love it. If they don't wanna part with him for Samardzija, then get ready to pay up.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Hoffman could become an ace as soon as post 2016 all-star break. Max Pentecost has the bat to start in 2017, despite the surgery. But he may not have the arm to stick at catcher if the surgeries aren't as successful as hoped.

interesting. while Tor doesn't have the top tier level of talent, but they have some interesting players who can be everyday kind of players.

Re Hoffman, i really doubt Tor will be willing to include him in a pkg, but for me, this is fantasy time.

i really like Hoffman and Sean R Foley. i also like Richard Urena - ss, even thou he is 19 yo. then they have various type of prospects who can help this team now.

i trust Hahn to do the right thing, depending on the direction of the next phase of rebuild.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
With Toronto you ask for Hoffman and Pentecost. Buyers market.

i know what you mean and i can see what you are trying to accomplish with this move. but i don't trust Pentcost value now. 2 surgeries on the same shoulder. i just don't know about that.

the sox will or may trade, this team needs mlb or neat mlb ready players. Pentcost is now at least 1 yr behind in development. he will not or can not take short cuts in his training. that is too much of a risk to take at this time.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
i know what you mean and i can see what you are trying to accomplish with this move. but i don't trust Pentcost value now. 2 surgeries on the same shoulder. i just don't know about that.

the sox will or may trade, this team needs mlb or neat mlb ready players. Pentcost is now at least 1 yr behind in development. he will not or can not take short cuts in his training. that is too much of a risk to take at this time.

That's why you're also asking for Hoffman.

If Hoffman pans out, you can flip one of Montas/Hoffman/Fulmer for a position player.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)

I would take on Pentcost, but only as a lower value player... more of a damaged goods buy, then a future star buy. I'd need a headline player, such as Hoffman, to make this happen.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)

If Hoffman pans out, you can flip one of Montas/Hoffman/Fulmer for a position player.

nice way of thinking, but why take a chance on pentcost, this is the market in which there will teams looking to add sp's. now, tor may need 2 sp's, but is for another discussion. the sox can ask for several other prospects to sweeten the deal, bot for me, there is no way i would trust in taking pentcost.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
I would take on Pentcost, but only as a lower value player... more of a damaged goods buy, then a future star buy. I'd need a headline player, such as Hoffman, to make this happen.

as i already posted, i understand, and i can see what you are saying, this would be a great move, if the sox only needed a couple of pieces. but that is not the case. the systems needs, esp in trading a nice looking player, quantity.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
as i already posted, i understand, and i can see what you are saying, this would be a great move, if the sox only needed a couple of pieces. but that is not the case. the systems needs, esp in trading a nice looking player, quantity.

Quantity gets you a lot of mediocre minor leaguers. Quality gets you the best shot at front line players.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in a Hoffman/Pentecost return, but still think the Sox are better off targeting someone who can help the offense in 2016 at 3B or C. Pentecost isn't that guy.

I also don't think Shark gets traded (notwithstanding being blown away with an offer) unless the Sox fall back to 6 games under .500 by next weekend.

The Max Pentecost discussion arises from the fact that the Sox have no catching depth in their system. There are only a handful of real catching prospects available now, and Pentecost is highly rated and possibly available in trade.

Texas has MLB pipeline's #1 catching prospect, Jorge Alfaro. But after Texas' recent skid, I don't think they are going to go off the deep end for the Shark.

The Cub has Schwarber (MLB Pipeline #2), and he's not going anywhere.

Tampa Bay has Justin O'Conner (#3), and Tampa Bay isn't going to sell their future for a 3-month rental.

Same for Pittsburgh and Reese McGuire (#4).

Hence Toronto and Max Pentecost.

The Yankees have Gary Sanchez (#6), but MLB Pipeline suggests that he may need an attitude adjustment.

Colorado isn't buying; they're selling, so Tom Murphy (#7) won't be available.

Washington doesn't need pitching, so #8 catching prospect Jackson Reetz will continue to hone his skills in short-season Auburn.

#9 Austin Barnes in the Dodgers organization is intriguing, and he may be available in a trade.

#10 Chase Vallot plays in the Kansas City system, and I don't think Samardzija is going there in a trade.

There are other catchers out there, Andrew Susac from the Giants could be a possibility. He's temporarily blocked by Buster Posey. But the Giants have been giving Posey playing time at 1B, and giving Susac playing time with the big league club. So a trade with San Francisco might not be possible.

That leaves trades with Toronto for Hoffman and Pentecost, the Yankees for Sanchez and Jagilelo, or the Dodgers for Barnes and fill-in-the-blank if the White Sox want to get a catching prospect included in a return package for Samardzija.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
If Cueto moves, then you will get all of the teams that didn't get him have to panic.

Exactly. From a Sox FO perspective, with Cueto gone teams will have no choice but to offer more than the value of a 2016 comp pick which puts the Sox in a win win situation. If the Sox don't like any offers then they simply keep Samardzija in hopes of making a second half push and still get a comp pick or have first dibs on signing Samardzija ( not a fan of the idea). The Sox have all the leverage as it is and if Cueto goes first, oh my!

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
The Max Pentecost discussion arises from the fact that the Sox have no catching depth in their system. There are only a handful of real catching prospects available now, and Pentecost is highly rated and possibly available in trade.

Texas has MLB pipeline's #1 catching prospect, Jorge Alfaro. But after Texas' recent skid, I don't think they are going to go off the deep end for the Shark.

Tampa Bay has Justin O'Conner (#3), and Tampa Bay isn't going to sell their future for a 3-month rental.

The Yankees have Gary Sanchez (#6), but MLB Pipeline suggests that he may need an attitude adjustment.

Washington doesn't need pitching, so #8 catching prospect Jackson Reetz will continue to hone his skills in short-season Auburn.

#9 Austin Barnes in the Dodgers organization is intriguing, and he may be available in a trade.

#10 Chase Vallot plays in the Kansas City system, and I don't think Samardzija is going there in a trade.

There are other catchers out there, Andrew Susac from the Giants could be a possibility. He's temporarily blocked by Buster Posey. But the Giants have been giving Posey playing time at 1B, and giving Susac playing time with the big league club. So a trade with San Francisco might not be possible.

That leaves trades with Toronto for Hoffman and Pentecost, the Yankees for Sanchez and Jagilelo, or the Dodgers for Barnes and fill-in-the-blank if the White Sox want to get a catching prospect included in a return package for Samardzija.

This list reminds me how much I want Jakson Reetz when they picked Fry last year. Then I feel sad.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

Nice post, Finn!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
Exactly. From a Sox FO perspective, with Cueto gone teams will have no choice but to offer more than the value of a 2016 comp pick which puts the Sox in a win win situation. If the Sox don't like any offers then they simply keep Samardzija in hopes of making a second half push and still get a comp pick or have first dibs on signing Samardzija ( not a fan of the idea). The Sox have all the leverage as it is and if Cueto goes first, oh my!

In two weeks, other pitchers not breing discussed become available as teams shift in the standings. I still think Shark brings some team's 3-5 prospect as well as a 15-20.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
This list reminds me how much I want Jakson Reetz when they picked Fry last year. Then I feel sad.

i know what you mean. last yr on the draft thread, i wanted and posted that the sox should draft him. oh well it didn't happen i am am trying to keep a positive outlook.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)

alot of work and a nice post.

ref yanks-sanchez, he might be worth a gamble but not straight up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)

a nice way of thinking.

damaged goods then Hoffman and plus 1 more prospect.

Tor has some really interesting younger prospects, not including some young int'l players. this is my hope and not based on any real info.