Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
He has done a much better job drafting (albeit in much more favorable circumstances in both draft rules and slots), but he certainly struck out on the Eaton/Davidson/Garcia evaluations

I'd say he got Eaton right -- don't forget that Eaton has had wRC+ of 101, 124, and 126 in the months since his dreadful April and now carries a season number of 98. He's a really important part of our team now and going forward.

Davidson certainly isn't some big win and doesn't look like it will ever be, but it's worth mentioning that Addison Reed is pitching in AAA. The person we sent away was not good, so that's important to consider. Hahn was correct to try to trade away Reed.

At first I thought you were referring to Leury Garcia and I was going to say that it probably wasn't some "this is who we thought was their best" evaluation. But Avisail has been disappointing, especially in one crucial way IMO --> if they thought he was going to be a competent defender, it appears they were very, very wrong. Given where he is developmentally, he can only be successful in a very specific way, which is carrying a strong average with good power numbers. He will subtract value with his defense and he walks so little that he'll have to earn everything he gets at the plate.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Does Larry King have any connections with the Dodgers front office? Seems pretty randpm to toss out the Sox as a trade partner.

Not sure, but at one point I believe he was part of an ownership group that attempted to buy the Dodgers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
I'd say he got Eaton right -- don't forget that Eaton has had wRC+ of 101, 124, and 126 in the months since his dreadful April and now carries a season number of 98. He's a really important part of our team now and going forward.

Davidson certainly isn't some big win and doesn't look like it will ever be, but it's worth mentioning that Addison Reed is pitching in AAA. The person we sent away was not good, so that's important to consider. Hahn was correct to try to trade away Reed.

At first I thought you were referring to Leury Garcia and I was going to say that it probably wasn't some "this is who we thought was their best" evaluation. But Avisail has been disappointing, especially in one crucial way IMO --> if they thought he was going to be a competent defender, it appears they were very, very wrong. Given where he is developmentally, he can only be successful in a very specific way, which is carrying a strong average with good power numbers. He will subtract value with his defense and he walks so little that he'll have to earn everything he gets at the plate.

yes, it was referring to Avi.

Hahn sold that he found future core of young players to build around. Eaton looks like a starter, but it does not look like Avi will be anything other than a DH. Peavy was a prime piece of a trade, we really had to find some impact talent there.

I am sorry but I know that the thought process has changed in past few years (especially publicly or fans perspective) but there is still a TON of value in adding arms like Samardzija or some of the others being dangled. He really can be a major piece to a contending team to ultimately win a WS. You really cant assume that "oh he is just a two month rental you shouldnt have to give up much for that" type of thinking. If we trade him to a contender and he winds up being that piece that puts them over the top in the playoffs and we just got 3 meddling prospects for him?! No, f*** that...give me some talent in return.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
I hope this wasn't meant in a negative way. I'd hope to get more than that but that was not a bad return.

Oh I agree, but at the time it looked eh. Months blew up and Wendelken has been stellar in AA.

I love twitter:

ron small ‏@small_ron 27m27 minutes ago

@jonmorosi @FOXSports what going on with the trade talk and r there close to getting a deal done

Thanks Ron, oh, I forgot to mention, here's the exact package and they are VERY close. Thanks for your follow up!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
That seems fairly ridiculous, unless it's four low-level lottery ticket types.

unless this is the starting point of any conversation.

however for me.... i think this is the truth. dang.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
I am sorry but I know that the thought process has changed in past few years (especially publicly or fans perspective) but there is still a TON of value in adding arms like Samardzija or some of the others being dangled. He really can be a major piece to a contending team to ultimately win a WS. You really cant assume that "oh he is just a two month rental you shouldnt have to give up much for that" type of thinking. If we trade him to a contender and he winds up being that piece that puts them over the top in the playoffs and we just got 3 meddling prospects for him?! No, f*** that...give me some talent in return.

there can be a real happy medium between the 2 quantity and quality.

like don't asked for the world and don't expect too much.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
I'd be asking the Dodgers for a ransom for Q.

Seager +

I feel like any deal with Q is either going to include Shark or prospects to sweeten the deal.

I see the Sox walking away with two of Seager, Puig and Urias if that happens.

The thing about Q is that his value is high based on his performance relative to his contract. This holds a lot of weight for most teams...except the Dodgers. Since the Dodgers don't seem to be afraid of paying a lot is it really fair to say they value Q like other teams would? To that end, do we really think they would give up Max value for him in prospects?

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
The thing about Q is that his value is high based on his performance relative to his contract. This holds a lot of weight for most teams...except the Dodgers. Since the Dodgers don't seem to be afraid of paying a lot is it really fair to say they value Q like other teams would? To that end, do we really think they would give up Max value for him in prospects?

That and the fact that he is one of the best pitchers in baseball.