Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
I hate to say it but this f***ing team has pulled me back in. Like Dan Hayes just RT'd, this team has been down & out 3-4 times now & yet, going into Monday, this is the closest they have been to a WC spot in a while & are playing their best ball of the year.

If the Sox front office thinks that they are in it to win it, do you see the Sox keeping Shark and buying a bat? Is there one bat that could seriously upgrade this offense enough so that the Sox could become competitive?

(short of Mike Trout from the Angels for the proverbial bag of balls!)

Edited by BigFinn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 07:09 PM)
So we're now completely throwing out save conversion rates for closers?

I get it, all his peripheral numbers are off the charts, particularly his K/BB ratio.

Nevertheless, shouldn't we prefer a closer who was 22/22 and half that impressive statistical ratio than someone with eye popping stats who has also "failed" in the ultimate measure of converting saves as often or more than anyone else in the AL?

You can have both worlds, like a Wade Davis.

Great post. While I think Robertson has had a solid year, he has by no means been incredible, dominant, etc. What is he, like 21/26 in saves? Like you said, a 22/22 save guy with a 3 ERA is better than a 21/26 guy with a 2-ish ERA.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
If the Sox front office thinks that they are in it to win it, do you see the Sox keeping Shark and buying a bat? Is there one bat that could seriously upgrade this offense enough so that the Sox could become competitive?

(short of Mike Trout from the Angels for the proverbial bag of balls!)

Well, the offense really seems to be coming around now. I do think we need another bat if we want to contend, but it would be a LaRoche replacement, as I am content with everyone else's hitting right now.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
Well, the offense really seems to be coming around now. I do think we need another bat if we want to contend, but it would be a LaRoche replacement, as I am content with everyone else's hitting right now.

Assuming we could find a taker for Adam LaRoche, would Micah Johnson as DH be enough of a bat—good on-base skills and speed on the base but not so much power—to help the club for a "playoff push?"

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
FWIW, the Rangers are out of all Samardzija/rental trade talks and are now looking for players who are signed beyond 2015.

They're going for Hamels anyways. If they get Hamels then LA is going for Price. If DET keeps price then maybe we can have some luck and have TOR and LA battle for Shark.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Assuming we could find a taker for Adam LaRoche, would Micah Johnson as DH be enough of a bat—good on-base skills and speed on the base but not so much power—to help the club for a "playoff push?"

I've always been opposed to the "your DH must be a power hitter" mindset. That being said, yes, the fact that he's a LHH would give him a place in the lineup, he's a pretty good contact hitter, base-stealer, and he could fill in as a backup INF every now and then

(Green because we already have like 1000 backup infielders)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
That, and he hasn't even performed well in the minors.

He's hit really well actually since being sent down. Currently hitting .390 during his 14 game hit streak at AAA. Just FYI. I've never heard of him so I looked him up. Has he been mentioned as a name for Shark? It's just names at this point no one knows the package.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:35 AM)
They're going for Hamels anyways. If they get Hamels then LA is going for Price. If DET keeps price then maybe we can have some luck and have TOR and LA battle for Shark.

Shane Greene absolutely sucks now, so Tigers likely to lose tonight as down 4-1. Seems like Tigers have to win the series at Tampa this week to avoid becoming sellers.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
He's hit really well actually since being sent down. Currently hitting .390 during his 14 game hit streak at AAA. Just FYI. I've never heard of him so I looked him up. Has he been mentioned as a name for Shark? It's just names at this point no one knows the package.

But still just .273 overall at AAA this year. And yes, he is a potential Samardzija trade return.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Shane Greene absolutely sucks now, so Tigers likely to lose tonight as down 4-1. Seems like Tigers have to win the series at Tampa this week to avoid becoming sellers.

Their GM came out before tonight's game & said they are going all in & buying. Idiotic, I know.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)
Don't see it.

#MNTwins playing .531 ball & are 2nd wild card. That's on pace for 86 wins. #WhiteSox would have to go 40-26 to do that -- very tall order.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/625458965921562625

This was my response

@CSNHayes 40-26 would be sox going on a .600 winning percentage for rest of year. Pretty much winning every series here on out.Can't see it

https://twitter.com/whisox05/status/625461892857860096

And hayes agreed with me

Certainly a tall order but I'd still be surprised if the Twins finished with 85 wins. They'll miss the playoffs. 83 wins may do it. Just keep winning.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
But still just .273 overall at AAA this year. And yes, he is a potential Samardzija trade return.

Ok thanks. I don't trust us to develop hitters that's why I'm kind of intrigued about moving Q as a package for an impact bat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)

Tigers' GM confirmed that they're buyers. And it's funny to see Shane Greene pitching so poorly now after his start to the season :lol:

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Certainly a tall order but I'd still be surprised if the Twins finished with 85 wins. They'll miss the playoffs. 83 wins may do it. Just keep winning.

To me, the 2015 Twins = the 2012 White Sox. They'll fall off, it's just a matter of when.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Good luck with whole "all-in" philosophy with that farm system.

Completely agree. Worst farm system in baseball & a ton of aging players & a s*** pitching staff & they want to contend instead of building their farm w/ two big trades of Price & Cespedes? Stupid.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
To me, the 2015 Twins = the 2012 White Sox. They'll fall off, it's just a matter of when.

Except worse. I live in Minneapolis and watch the Twins quite a bit. They're not good. Early season success was all due to crazy high BA with RISP.