Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
And just like Buehrle, it's a majorly back loaded contract. Shields only gets $10 mil this season, but that jumps to $21 million per year for 2016-2018. That should limit their trade market unless they throw in major cash. He's also from the SD area, which is a double nut punch if they do trade him.

Yep, Shields is going to be a very hard sell. Imo, Shields' contract sheds a little light as to what Samardzija could be looking for in his next contract. Not necessarily back loaded but the annual salary (21M) and years (5). I would not touch that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JolietThunder @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
This four game sweep was the worst thing that could have happen for our long term future. I hope FO doesn't start believing in this team like I did after seeing great pitching( which is norm for us), stellar defense (not use to seeing around here) and some timely hitting ( also not use to seeing). I want this team to take CUBS approach and suck for few year and stock pile our minor league roster.

This sweep featured a 6 2/3 inning scoreless gem, with 0 walks, pitched by last years first round pick, multiple hits from our star 1b, and a hit spree from our young second and third basemen.

This was absolutely not the worst thing that could have happened for our long term future. April, where it seemed that our cf of the future, rf of the future, 2b of the future, and rotation looked like garbage were much darker times.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Yep, Shields is going to be a very hard sell. Imo, Shields' contract sheds a little light as to what Samardzija could be looking for in his next contract. Not necessarily back loaded but the annual salary (21M) and years (5). I would not touch that.

for me, this is excellent reasoning.

According to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, the Blue Jays have been most aggressive on Jeff Samardzija.

Hayes adds that the Giants are also interested. Samardzija owns a 3.91 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 108/26 K/BB ratio in 140 1/3 innings this season with the White Sox and he's been especially dominant lately. The 30-year-old impending free agent should yield a nice return package. It looked for a while like the Pale Hose might have to sell low on him.

Related: Blue Jays

Source: Dan Hayes on TwitterJul 27 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (JolietThunder @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
This four game sweep was the worst thing that could have happen for our long term future. I hope FO doesn't start believing in this team like I did after seeing great pitching( which is norm for us), stellar defense (not use to seeing around here) and some timely hitting ( also not use to seeing). I want this team to take CUBS approach and suck for few year and stock pile our minor league roster.

Yuck. You can always just cheer for the cubs.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
No, because they're better than Samardzija.

Kazmir has been better when looking at ERA, but dig deeper, and Shark has actually been better. Plus, c'mon, who would you rather have pitching for you in a must win game? Sort of a no-brainer to me.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
According to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, the Blue Jays have been most aggressive on Jeff Samardzija.

Hayes adds that the Giants are also interested. Samardzija owns a 3.91 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 108/26 K/BB ratio in 140 1/3 innings this season with the White Sox and he's been especially dominant lately. The 30-year-old impending free agent should yield a nice return package. It looked for a while like the Pale Hose might have to sell low on him.

But are the Sox really gonna trade him to a team that in 2 games of them in the standings?

The price just went up in my opinion. Pentecost and Hoffman or go away.

But I feel like the Sox will at least see how the next four days play out. Sweep or win 3/4, I doubt Shark goes unless they get a ransom.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)

MAYBE related?

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 20m20 minutes ago

#sfgiants prioritize No. 2 SP behind Bumgarner, but can't find match. 1 club asked for SS Lucius Fox, signed earlier this month (cont)

I know he doesnt have fans here, but if the Sox could swing getting Dalton Pompey for Shark, I would be beyond ecstatic. He got rushed to the majors and wasnt ready. A plus defender with speed that can hit a little would be a nice get for the Sox.

My thoughts? What's the worst case scenario? We keep him, we don't do well, don't resign him and get a sandwich pick? I'm okay with that. There's no guarantee if we trade that we get an impact player either. I've been as hard on the Sox as anybody and don't think we'll get to the playoffs or win more than 83 games or so, but, the kicker is that last spot in the Wild Card. I'm counting the Astros/Angels spot gone already. Almost like hockey, all it takes is to get into the playoffs and you never know what will happen.

Very least, let's wait until the deadline to trade him. Not going to happen before his next start hopefully, so let's play out this series.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
But are the Sox really gonna trade him to a team that in 2 games of them in the standings?

The price just went up in my opinion. Pentecost and Hoffman or go away.

But I feel like the Sox will at least see how the next four days play out. Sweep or win 3/4, I doubt Shark goes unless they get a ransom.

This post has my exact thoughts. I feel like if they sweep the Red Sox, then they'll make a push and settle for a sandwich pick or resigning Samardzija.

If they don't the price should be something like Pentecost and Hoffman.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
MAYBE related?

#sfgiants prioritize No. 2 SP behind Bumgarner, but can't find match. 1 club asked for SS Lucius Fox, signed earlier this month (cont)

It would be bold to ask, but for a rental, considering this guy cost $6 million plus penalty to sign 3 weeks ago, there was no chance SF says yes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Kazmir has been better when looking at ERA, but dig deeper, and Shark has actually been better. Plus, c'mon, who would you rather have pitching for you in a must win game? Sort of a no-brainer to me.

Tough call. Kazmir might walk everyone but Samardzija is more likely to get hit hard. Can I just trade them both for Chris Sale to pitch that game?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
MAYBE related?

I feel like the Sox and Giants don't match up especially well for a trade.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
This post has my exact thoughts. I feel like if they sweep the Red Sox, then they'll make a push and settle for a sandwich pick or resigning Samardzija.

If they don't the price should be something like Pentecost and Hoffman.

I would like to see Dalton Pompey's name in the mix as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
MAYBE related?

does anyone think this sounds like a move the sox would do.......

i do.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
A 18 year old sure wouldn't fit their 3 year plan, so I kinda doubt it. Plus I think Tim Anderson is type SS of the future.

If the White Sox don't like any of the Giants top talent, it makes sense to ask for a guy like that. I don't know if it is them or not, but we all know the White Sox have been asking for big name prospects from teams when they come calling for our players.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
A 18 year old sure wouldn't fit their 3 year plan, so I kinda doubt it. Plus I think Tim Anderson is type SS of the future.

Eh, SS at 18 years old doesn't mean anything.

I just think the Sox trade for someone who is gonna help next year, and possibly even this year. Can't see them trading their best chip for a piece that's a few years away. Particularly when said piece plays the position that Tim Anderson plays (hopefully).

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I just think the Sox trade for someone who is gonna help next year, and possibly even this year. Can't see them trading their best chip for a piece that's a few years away. Particularly when said piece plays the position that Tim Anderson plays (hopefully).

I think that is goal #1. But at the same time, if they can pick up a kid who was projected to be a to 10 draft pick if he had been subject to the draft, and would instantly be one of our 2 or 3 best prospects, they would do it.

Like I said, I don't know if it was the Sox that asked for him, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was.