Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
If somebody rivals the package that Detroit got for Price, then yes, trade him, but I don't think anybody is going to offer that much.

Nobody is going to offer that much because Samardzija is not worth that much, period. To expect the same package for Samardzija is lunacy.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
And the issue is the teams are making moves to get better. Sox have been sitting on the sideline going are we in or are we out

Exactly. The Sox sit on ass while the Jays went out and got one of the best hitters and pitchers in the game.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
And the issue is the teams are making moves to get better. Sox have been sitting on the sideline going are we in or are we out

Typical White Sox. I'd personally still trade Shark for best available package, since I'm not convinced this team (even in its WC position) is a playoff calibur team. However, If they feel they're in it you have to do something. What sense does it make to stand pat? It's honestly the worst decision at this point.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Nobody is going to offer that much because Samardzija is not worth that much, period. To expect more is lunacy.

Exactly. The Sox sit on ass while the Jays went out and got one of the best hitters and pitchers in the game.

It's fine for the Jays that they went for it, and it's fine that the Sox won't. Don't gamble anything else on this mediocre team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
If Shark isn't traded it's a comp pick most likely who will never make it to the show. When the Sox don't grab a big bat or give up our prospects for a free agent you'll be singing a different tune about how stupid the Sox are for giving up prospects or not trading Samardzija. I can see it coming . Maybe not you specifically but many on here.

I don't think the Comp pick is the end of the world. A pick in the late 20's can turn into gold, but it is more of a future value proposition, no doubt.

Look, if the Sox were getting great offers for Shark a few weeks ago when they were in the s***ter, he would have been traded.

I personally would love to see the Sox get a big bat, but I realize it doesn't realize jive with what this team should be doing (assuming they have to pay a steep price to acquire said bat; I would be more willing to do so if the bat is controllable). But I think the best thing to do is to just stand pat. I doubt the Sox were getting offers like the ones the Reds and Tigers got for Cueto and Price, respectively.

Any many here will b**** about anything, no matter which direction the team goes. That is just the way it is.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Nobody is going to offer that much because Samardzija is not worth that much, period. To expect the same package for Samardzija is lunacy.

And ravaged their farm system to do so, all for a chance at a 1 game playoff. In a couple years, the Jays will regret these move, I guarantee it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Why would Toronto trade him for a bag of balls though, especially to a team they're competing with? He serves a purpose on their team. Don't forget, the 70-92 MN Twins DFA'd him last season after a similarly hot start to the year.

I think the reason you're getting such a negative response is that you actually proposed trading Shark for him.

I also proposed trading B level prospects for him . I'd obviously prefer that but I'd also prefer any package of decent minor leaguers for Shark also. Also saying a package similar to Price's is ridiculous . Shark isn't close to Price but still could get a package between what Tigers got for Price and a comp pick . There's a lot of in between there. But the comp pick is worst case scenario. Yes even worse than Colabello , maybe not to some of course :P

I think the Sox can compete for the WC without Shark if they get a bat, a reliever ,and use Eric Johnson. It's not likely but it's also not likely the team that sucked all year is going to continue its run without hitting help and there isn't much of it available that doesn't hurt the future.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If teams would give you a sweet package for Samardzija, and you could get a decent bat for a guy like Beck, I'd do both. It would be kind of a wash, but you improve your every day line up. One out of 5 it is Johnson instead of Samardzija which is probably a downgrade, but if you are lucky, not that big, and you improve your system.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
I honestly wouldn't be upset if they dealt him. Prices seem high, and we're going to cool down.
For a solid deal, even if it's prospects in the lower minors, I definitely think they should. I think Johnson can fill in well for Samardzija, and this system needs talent badly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
If teams would give you a sweet package for Samardzija, and you could get a decent bat for a guy like Beck, I'd do both. It would be kind of a wash, but you improve your every day line up. One out of 5 it is Johnson instead of Samardzija which is probably a downgrade, but if you are lucky, not that big, and you improve your system.

Why not get creative? If the guy is intent on becoming a free agent and the White Sox think he'll become too expensive, why not create a market for him today?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Sox should deal Samardzija. The Sox have some tough teams between them and the second wild card.

Still a 85% chance the White Sox do not make the playoffs; still have a tough schedule ahead of them, and they need to play at a high clip. I don't know if this team can keep playing at such a high level.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
And ravaged their farm system to do so, all for a chance at a 1 game playoff. In a couple years, the Jays will regret these move, I guarantee it.

Not just a one game playoff but a chance at the division rival. Yes the Jays are six games back but while the Jays added Price/Tulo the Yanks lost lost Pineda.

Anyway, back to Samardzija. I would not be surprised if the Sox decide to sell in the next few hours. Not gut the team but trade Samardzija.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
You can be wary of .250 power hitting K guys all you want, that's fine. Why does it matter if they come from the NL?

After Dunn and LaRoche can you blame me ? NL hitters know NL pitchers best. I just prefer after the last 2 .250 power hitting high K , high BB ,lumbering oxes we got from the NL not turn into a 3rd one like Bruce. I know it's not the most logical thing. Bruce is a younger guy and all but still its the type of player I want to avoid now.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Still a 85% chance the White Sox do not make the playoffs; still have a tough schedule ahead of them, and they need to play at a high clip. I don't know if this team can keep playing at such a high level.

Same here. I've enjoyed their latest run but with the Sox schedule and the teams standing between them and the second WC, I just don't see it.

If the Sox add a bat, best but if they trade Samardzija I won't be surprised or pissed about it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Same here. I've enjoyed their latest run but with the Sox schedule and the teams standing between them and the second WC, I just don't see it.

If the Sox add a bat, best but if they trade Samardzija I won't be surprised or pissed about it.

Where were you guys before last night's game?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Not just a one game playoff but a chance at the division rival. Yes the Jays are six games back but while the Jays added Price/Tulo the Yanks lost lost Pineda.

Anyway, back to Samardzija. I would not be surprised if the Sox decide to sell in the next few hours. Not gut the team but trade Samardzija.

Doubt the Jays catch the Yanks. Their pitching still blows. MB is their #2....even after acquiring Price.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

It's fun for sure, but trying to think big picture is what I think is best. White Sox mgt though is probably just looking to add at this point.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
It's fun for sure, but trying to think big picture is what I think is best. White Sox mgt though is probably just looking to add at this point.

I still think they can add by trading Samardzija but I admit that's just an opinion and have no idea if the Sox have any offers for Samardzija that include a bat.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
After Dunn and LaRoche can you blame me ? NL hitters know NL pitchers best. I just prefer after the last 2 .250 power hitting high K , high BB ,lumbering oxes we got from the NL not turn into a 3rd one like Bruce. I know it's not the most logical thing. Bruce is a younger guy and all but still its the type of player I want to avoid now.

I can never blame you for wanting to stay away from certain guys. We all have guys we like and guys we don't and it's often irrational which ones we put in those boxes. I just have seen a few people citing the NL-to-AL thing lately and I don't think there's any evidence that it matters. Sure, you have specific cases, but there are cases for everything.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
Lol, the Yanks pitching isn't really any better. CC Sabathia comes to mind.

Yeah, but they are already 6 games up and have an unbelievable bullpen. Toronto isn't catching them.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Yeah, but they are already 6 games up and have an unbelievable bullpen. Toronto isn't catching them.

I'll just agree to disagree. I do not want to derail this thread any further.

I'm open to trading Samardzija but the trade should make sense in both the short and long terms.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
I still trade Shark if we get a good package of players a SS, C . Maximize the Shark's value by trading him and signing him in the offseason

If we get a Price or Cueto like return that centers around a 3B, C, or potential front line starter, I am in.