Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
This is also why I'm so hesitant to move Samardzija. Even if the offense improves just a LITTLE bit, this team will be really good.

That's why if I'm the Sox and I'm within 3 games of the wild card, I'm trying to trade guys like EJ, Mantas, Danish, Petricka, and Putnam for a big league bat.

You fill a hole or 2 with even average players and it's a whole new team.

Edited by scs787

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find frustrating is the July 31st deadline itself. It's too early in a season that started April 6. It's too early in the 2nd Wildcard era, with more parity than ever.

It's a tough situation for teams on the bubble. They really have to go down to the last minute to decide what to do--and mostly there will be a whole lot of standing pat.

I'd really like to see them push the deadline to a Wednesday or Thursday with about 7.5-8.5 weeks left in the season. That would leave about 50-55 games left in the season.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
That's why if I'm the Sox and I'm within 3 games of the wild card, I'm trying to trade guys like EJ, Mantas, Danish, Petricka, and Putnam for a big league bat.

You fill a hole or 2 with even average players and it's a whole new team.

Productive prospects for average bats.....That's a sure fire way to 73 wins again.

Montas is a top 100 prospect and looking better all the time. EJ probably could be in this rotation right now. Can't trade those 2 for an average bat. To rent Upton, perhaps (although I wouldn't).

Danish is not my cup of tea, but he's being underavalued for an average bat.

Petricka and Putnam - fine, except we need them. Petricka particularly fits this team with his groundball ways.

Trade Leury and some non-descript A ball prospect for an average bat.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Productive prospects for average bats.....That's a sure fire way to 73 wins again.

Montas is a top 100 prospect and looking better all the time. EJ probably could be in this rotation right now. Can't trade those 2 for an average bat. To rent Upton, perhaps (although I wouldn't).

Danish is not my cup of tea, but he's being underavalued for an average bat.

Petricka and Putnam - fine, except we need them. Petricka particularly fits this team with his groundball ways.

Trade Leury and some non-descript A ball prospect for an average bat.

I know I said average bat but that was more a play on how bad the holes on the team have been. Of course you want more than average, all I was saying is even an average bat makes the team that much better.

SP is a strength, you can trade one of those guys and not skip a beat. You keep your big 4 of Sale-Shark-Q-Rodon and also add a bat to the fold. Not sure how you can say that would be a sure fire way to 73 wins.

Wouldn't shock me to see Shark resigned and see Fulmer go the same route Rodon goes, so come midseason 2016 you have your rotation locked up for years to come.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm certainly not hating on him by including him in players to potentially be traded. I'm saying he has some value.

Why would you trade your best setup guy if you're going for it?

Honestly the Sox shouldn't think they are going to be able to contend just because they finally got on a sorta hot streak for only the second time of the year. If the team started to do this a month ago then I would wait and see but for how much has gone wrong with this team to turn it around and hope everything good starts happening is going to be pretty hard. After todays game there is going to be 76 games left and they would pretty much need to win about 2/3rds of their games left. Just like they waited too long on getting rid of Alexei, I hope they don't honestly believe they can still contend and try to add or stand pat at the trade deadline. They pitching has been very good but to hope they can sustain a run like this for the rest of the year is pretty hard to do. Defense has gotten better but this is the first time all year they have played this well. The offense is still struggling. Going back to when they started winning more of late was the Cards series they still have only scored 34 runs in 11 games through yesterday and thats an average of 3.09 per game which is below what they have been averaging for the year. They need to trade shark for sure before the deadline since the starting pitching market is getting thin and there are alot of contending teams. If they decide to trade a bullpen piece or someone like LaRoche and can get value back thats fine. Micah should be brought back up if they fully believe he is future at second and evaluate his play for the rest of the year. IF he shows he cant cut it defensively then they will need to know if they have to find a second baseman next year since they could still be a chance for contention.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Why would you trade your best setup guy if you're going for it?

Work has limited my watching, so I had to go look at the game logs....for awhile it looked like Putnam leaped ahead of Jake, he seems to have cooled down a bit. I would still think about it for the right hitter. Ya still have Putnam, Webb, albeit not in high leverage situations for the most part, has shown something, and Jones looks like he's making a strong return.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
SP is a strength, you can trade one of those guys and not skip a beat. You keep your big 4 of Sale-Shark-Q-Rodon and also add a bat to the fold. Not sure how you can say that would be a sure fire way to 73 wins.

You could trade anyone in the farm and not skip a beat this year.

Don't devalue an asset just because you don't need him today.

Undervaluing assets, such as trading a top 100 prospect for an average bat, is a sure-fire way to return to 73 wins. Sox will need pitchers (2 of them) for next season.

Stockpile the pitching.

The Sox should be working on a trade of Samardzija anyway. Sell high, for a change.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)
If nothing else this last few weeks is going to drive up prices around the south side, because instead of being forced to sell, they now have to b convinced to sell.

It's really tempting to start believing in the team again because we all WANT to believe. IF Q can get a W against the cubs today I'd really get sucked in. Not just a Sox win but a Sox win plus Q must get the W . If the Sox score double digit runs and shut the cubs out , start printing the World Series tickets.

I suggest you all cool your jets until this vital game in the future of the season is played.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
You could trade anyone in the farm and not skip a beat this year.

Don't devalue an asset just because you don't need him today.

Undervaluing assets, such as trading a top 100 prospect for an average bat, is a sure-fire way to return to 73 wins. Sox will need pitchers (2 of them) for next season.

Stockpile the pitching.

The Sox should be working on a trade of Samardzija anyway. Sell high, for a change.

You ignored every other part of my post.

Again average is not what I'm looking for.

And again, if this team keeps winning I can see Shark back plus see Fulmer move quickly ala Rodon and then all of a sudden you have Sale-Shark-Q-Rodon-Fulmer for years to come and guys like EJ, Montas, and Danish have no spot in the rotation.

Stockpiling arms is typically a good plan but there are only 5 spots in the rotation. With the holes on offense, the Sox inability to develop hitters within, and FA hitters typically not being very good, if you can get a hitter for one of those prospects, you do it.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
In modern day baseball, competing for the WC is all that matters. With this pitching, there is zero doubt this team can win October. They just might not be good enough to get there. October is a crap shoot where your odds are helped by stud pitching

Great point. Hell, KC looked very one-and-done until the late innings of that WC game against Oakland. And then look what happened.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Wouldn't shock me to see Shark resigned and see Fulmer go the same route Rodon goes, so come midseason 2016 you have your rotation locked up for years to come.

But how do you upgrade at catcher/SS/3B without moving a guy like Quintana?

I am not at all confident in our offense. You really think this offense can win a WS? doubtful. Please don't get caught up in this and not trade Samadzija. We can get a GREAT prospect for him. The sox have the pitching prospects to fill his spot in the future. I think Hahn trades him.

QUOTE (midway @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
For the past few years, like many others here I have wanted to see an upgrade at catcher...but just maybe we should start to listen what Chris Sale and others on the pitching staff have to say and how they rave about Flowers work behind the plate.

Then we need some serious upgrades elsewhere in the lineup, with the bat and the glove, to offset Flowers's weaknesses. Can we afford to have Garcia starting a corner OF spot with Flowers behind the plate? Or Gillaspie/some sort of platoon at 3b? Or youngsters at 2b and SS?

If you're going to be Tyler Flowers below average with the bat behind the plate and we also want to compete we can't be Garcia below average in the OF. We can't be Gillaspie/Beckham/Ramirez/rookies in the IF below average.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
Then we need some serious upgrades elsewhere in the lineup, with the bat and the glove, to offset Flowers's weaknesses. Can we afford to have Garcia starting a corner OF spot with Flowers behind the plate? Or Gillaspie/some sort of platoon at 3b? Or youngsters at 2b and SS?

If you're going to be Tyler Flowers below average with the bat behind the plate and we also want to compete we can't be Garcia below average in the OF. We can't be Gillaspie/Beckham/Ramirez/rookies in the IF below average.

flowers at catcher is doable, meaning the team can live with it, but 2b, ss and 3b players need to start hitting.

3b, SS and 2b are far greater offensive weaknesses than Flowers.

LF and RF are positions where the Sox are about equally weak, relative to position, as the Sox are at catcher.

I remember the clamor for the "elite" Jason Castro, the Starlin Castro of catchers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Next 14:

4 vs KC

2 vs StL

4 at Cle

4 at Bos

Have to go 8-6. When/if the 7th loss comes? Sell.

Need to do better then that. Going 8-6 would put the sox at 49-51. Sox need to pretty much when mostly series here on out to have a chance.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
We can't rely on winning many games by only scoring 2-3 runs or teams giving us many unearned runs. We need to trade Samardzija for an mlb ready bat or best offer.

Last 12 games including today have scored 35 runs. Less then 3 per game. I agree trade of Shark and maybe some others if they get any value

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Need to do better than that. Going 8-6 would put the sox at 49-51. Sox need to pretty much when mostly series here on out to have a chance.

Yes, 49-51.

I have the last 32 games against mostly the division at 18-14, at best.

That would be 67-65.

From July 31-August 30. Best case scenario 18-12.

85-77 for the second wildcard.

It's a leap to think they'll play 36-26 after a 49-51 start, but that would be my absolute worst record not to be a seller.

Edited by flavum