Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
You ignored every other part of my post.

Again average is not what I'm looking for.

And again, if this team keeps winning I can see Shark back plus see Fulmer move quickly ala Rodon and then all of a sudden you have Sale-Shark-Q-Rodon-Fulmer for years to come and guys like EJ, Montas, and Danish have no spot in the rotation.

Stockpiling arms is typically a good plan but there are only 5 spots in the rotation. With the holes on offense, the Sox inability to develop hitters within, and FA hitters typically not being very good, if you can get a hitter for one of those prospects, you do it.

I think you have to keep EJ. With 5 starters, you can pretty much bet that one will end up on the DL for some period of time in the 2nd half. You also need to remember that Rodon probably gets shut down for September. Teams need at least a guy who can compete at ML level when a starter goes down. So you certainly can trade Montas and Danish and even some of the bullpen but expect to get back another team's prospect and both teams hope they got players who make it to ML. Shark should bring back a player much more likely to be ML ready plus a prospect. I think Shark needs to go and hope Fulmer can be a #4 next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
Yes, 49-51.

I have the last 32 games against mostly the division at 18-14, at best.

That would be 67-65.

From July 31-August 30. Best case scenario 18-12.

85-77 for the second wildcard.

It's a leap to think they'll play 36-26 after a 49-51 start, but that would be my absolute worst record not to be a seller.

Seeing how the sox are 15-25 against their own division I can't see them going 18-14. They need to sell at the deadline.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Seeing how the sox are 15-25 again their own division I can't see them going 18-14. They need to sell at the deadline.

Like I said, "leap of faith", "best case scenario". You have to dream a little, but not be kidding yourself.

Even if they're 50-50 when they wake up on July 31, they're probably still not going to make the playoffs, but do you think they'll sell? I don't.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Seeing how the sox are 15-25 against their own division I can't see them going 18-14. They need to sell at the deadline.

Other than Samardzija though, they don't have anything to "sell". They'd probably deal Ramirez or a reliever. That's it though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Other than Samardzija though, they don't have anything to "sell". They'd probably deal Ramirez or a reliever. That's it though.

Just that should help a lot.

The market for starters is tight right now, but will loosen up.

But Samardjiza's value won't be higher than it is right now. Supply will go up prior to 7/30 and I doubt he throws another shutout.

Deal him before Friday.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Like I said, "leap of faith", "best case scenario". You have to dream a little, but not be kidding yourself.

Even if they're 50-50 when they wake up on July 31, they're probably still not going to make the playoffs, but do you think they'll sell? I don't.

I think they need to trade shark for sure. Maybe Laroche, Ramirez or a bullpen arm. Bring micah back up to evaluate him the rest of the year. Ej to fill the spot in the rotation. Let saladino get some reps in the infield. Let go or trade of boni.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 51m51 minutes ago

Josh Nelson @SSS_joshnelson

@ChrisCotillo Anything you are hearing on the Jeff Samardzija front?

Chris Cotillo added,

One of the more likely players to be dealt. Astros like him, but plenty of interest out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 51m51 minutes ago

Josh Nelson @SSS_joshnelson

@ChrisCotillo Anything you are hearing on the Jeff Samardzija front?

Chris Cotillo added,

One of the more likely players to be dealt. Astros like him, but plenty of interest out there.

I think any of us could have told any of us that.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2521642...culation/page/3

Bleacher Report keeps predicting a Toronto deal that would bring over C Max Pentecost and 3B Andy Burns

I know you're just passing along what you found but I think I take that with a big grain of salt. A Catcher that has not played yet this year due to having a second surgery on his throwing shoulder since being drafted last year and a 24 year old 3B that hits as lite as Gillaspie for Samardzija? Yep, sounds like an article written by the bleacher report. ;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I know you're just passing along what you found but I think I take that with a big grain of salt. A Catcher that has not played yet this year due to having a second surgery on his throwing shoulder since being drafted last year and a 24 year old 3B that hits as lite as Gillaspie for Samardzija? Yep, sounds like an article written by the bleacher report. ;)

I was thinking the same thing.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2521642...culation/page/3

Bleacher Report keeps predicting a Toronto deal that would bring over C Max Pentecost and 3B Andy Burns

Stats for Andy Burns:

2015: .277/.338/.360

Career Minors: .268/.344/.432

Burns is thought of as a utility infielder.

Pentecost hasn't returned since shoulder surgery this February.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
Stats for Andy Burns:

2015: .277/.338/.360

Career Minors: .268/.344/.432

Burns is thought of as a utility infielder.

Pentecost hasn't returned since shoulder surgery this February.

Yep. I thought it was a horrible trade idea. I saw it and felt the need to share with Yall. Good 'ol Bleacher Report.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)
Yep. I thought it was a horrible trade idea. I saw it and felt the need to share with Yall. Good 'ol Bleacher Report.

Hey man, thanks for sharing. We all get to have a laugh about it and especially since Pentacost was already mentioned in this thread a week or two ago. :lol:

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 12:00 AM)
15 scouts at his last outing, and he throws a complete game shut out.

What more could they want if the goal is to trade him?

I doubt they trade him.

Same here.

Sounds like Toronto could be out of the mix if what's said is true.

"The Blue Jays are “regularly being asked for Marcus Stroman” as a return in trades for pitching, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. Despite the fact that Stroman won’t contribute to the team in 2015 after tearing his ACL this spring, the Blue Jays won’t be trading him, Davidi writes. Looking at the trade history of GM Alex Anthopoulos, Davidi notes that it’s probably more likely to see the Blue Jays acquire someone with some team control remaining. "

Per mlbtr.

Fine with me as I'm not impressed with anything Toronto has outside of Stroman and Norris.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
Sounds like Toronto could be out of the mix if what's said is true.

"The Blue Jays are “regularly being asked for Marcus Stroman” as a return in trades for pitching, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet. Despite the fact that Stroman won’t contribute to the team in 2015 after tearing his ACL this spring, the Blue Jays won’t be trading him, Davidi writes. Looking at the trade history of GM Alex Anthopoulos, Davidi notes that it’s probably more likely to see the Blue Jays acquire someone with some team control remaining. "

Per mlbtr.

Fine with me as I'm not impressed with anything Toronto has outside of Stroman and Norris.

in my opinion, you make a great point. but this does pose as a problem/ before this, TOR needed a sp and a rp to make the run. now, if they still want to be in the mix. they will need 2- starting pitchers and a rp.

that is too much to ask for and the price would be too much to pay.

Houston reportedly interested in Cueto to go along with their interest in Samardzija. Could be good for the Sox if they decide to trade Samardzija because Cueto likely costs more in a trade. Fwiw, Samardzija earns 200k less this year than Cueto so the salaries are pretty much a wash.

"As the Reds prepare to market staff ace Johnny Cueto, the three teams with the most earnest interest are the Astros, Blue Jays, and Royals, Nightengale adds on Twitter. Cueto’s cheap contract looks to be a significant factor in that interest, given that all three of those clubs currently operate at a lower payroll capacity (Houston, Kansas City) or reportedly lack financial flexibility at the deadline (Toronto)."

Mlbtr, Astros rumors.

I'm doubt seriously the Royals would trade for Samardzija so they could give Houston some competition for Cueto although Houston has more to offer. This is going to be very interesting.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Houston reportedly interested in Cueto to go along with their interest in Samardzija. Could be good for the Sox if they decide to trade Samardzija because Cueto likely costs more in a trade. Fwiw, Samardzija earns 200k less this year than Cueto so the salaries are pretty much a wash.

"As the Reds prepare to market staff ace Johnny Cueto, the three teams with the most earnest interest are the Astros, Blue Jays, and Royals, Nightengale adds on Twitter. Cueto’s cheap contract looks to be a significant factor in that interest, given that all three of those clubs currently operate at a lower payroll capacity (Houston, Kansas City) or reportedly lack financial flexibility at the deadline (Toronto)."

Mlbtr, Astros rumors.

I'm doubt seriously the Royals would trade for Samardzija so they could give Houston some competition for Cueto although Houston has more to offer. This is going to be very interesting.

in some way, the reason that is being spoken by hou and those others, Cueto is readily available for a team who is looking for the serious playoff run.

now chi part in this is, if and i mean if chi is out of the race or if the org wants to start trading assets, then Shark can instantly be thrust into the mix.

but lack of that knowledge, teams only have Cueto to compete for.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
in my opinion, you make a great point. but this does pose as a problem/ before this, TOR needed a sp and a rp to make the run. now, if they still want to be in the mix. they will need 2- starting pitchers and a rp.

that is too much to ask for and the price would be too much to pay.

I think Toronto stands down from trading for starting pitching and rolls the dice with calling up Norris to help. Toronto could still trade for a bullpen arm which would not cost nearly as much. Imo, Toronto is doing the right thing in keeping Norris and Stroman.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
in some way, the reason that is being spoken by hou and those others, Cueto is readily available for a team who is looking for the serious playoff run.

now chi part in this is, if and i mean if chi is out of the race or if the org wants to start trading assets, then Shark can instantly be thrust into the mix.

but lack of that knowledge, teams only have Cueto to compete for.

Yep, the tigers do not sound as though they want to trade Price so it comes down to Cueto and possibly Samardzija. If Cueto goes first it could make the few remaining teams looking for SP even more desperate for Samardzija and drive his price up a tad.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
I think Toronto stands down from trading for starting pitching and rolls the dice with calling up Norris to help. Toronto could still trade for a bullpen arm which would not cost nearly as much. Imo, Toronto is doing the right thing in keeping Norris and Stroman.

Yep, the tigers do not sound as though they want to trade Price so it comes down to Cueto and possibly Samardzija. If Cueto goes first it could make the few remaining teams looking for SP even more desperate for Samardzija and drive his price up a tad.

exactly, and the price for any of those teams will raise, in order to entice the club to make that trade.

supply and demand. will be in play here.