Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
i wouldn't want to trade with Bos, the rtn will really not help that much.

Yeah, going by the rumors ( Cole Hamels) so far this year Boston seems very reluctant in trading away certain younger players. Players the White Sox would be looking for in a trade.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
Yeah, going by the rumors ( Cole Hamels) so far this year Boston seems very reluctant in trading away certain younger players. Players the White Sox would be looking for in a trade.

on the rumors pages, i am kinda of piecing together an idea that many teams really do not want to sacrifice young prospects for a needed player to help in the playoff. that is right now.

plus team are really over estimating the value of their players.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:44 AM)
on the rumors pages, i am kinda of piecing together an idea that many teams really do not want to sacrifice young prospects for a needed player to help in the playoff. that is right now.

plus team are really over estimating the value of their players.

I forget where I said this the other day but more teams are willing to wait for their higher valued prospects to become MLB ready. The cubs would seem to be one example. They have plenty to trade but they realize they need more time to see who sticks, then the players that do not stick could very likely be traded this winter for pitching. I see Boston doing similar things with holding onto certain high level prospects. Both teams are loaded but not likely to make the playoffs so,imo, they are continuing with their respective rebuilds and see where they are at this winter.

The ever increasing price of FA is making teams think otherwise about dealing top prospects. That's not to say no team will deal top prospects, just seems like prospects are holding more value in the eyes of some teams.

That said. Maybe a team like Boston changes their perspective if a young lefty like Q was on the trade table. They do seem pretty adamant in keeping their best though so who knows?

Edit: add the Dodgers to that list as well. Last winter there were reports about the Dodgers saying no to trading top prospects like Joc Pederson etc.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
I forget where I said this the other day but more teams are willing to wait for their higher valued prospects to become MLB ready. The cubs would seem to be one example. They have plenty to trade but they realize they need more time to see who sticks, then the players that do not stick could very likely be traded this winter for pitching. I see Boston doing similar things with holding onto certain high level prospects. Both teams are loaded but not likely to make the playoffs so,imo, they are continuing with their respective rebuilds and see where they are at this winter.

The ever increasing price of FA is making teams think otherwise about dealing top prospects. That's not to say no team will deal top prospects, just seems like prospects are holding more value in the eyes of some teams.

That said. Maybe a team like Boston changes their perspective if a young lefty like Q was on the trade table. They do seem pretty adamant in keeping their best though so who knows?

Passan just wrote about this yesterday.

They're not going to make wholesale changes, and certainly dont want to dump Ramirez and Sandoval for pennies on the dollar.

Betts and Bogaerts are close to untouchable, along with Rodriguez and Swihart.

The pitcher they value the most for the moment is Brian Johnson.

Unless the White Sox view Rusney Castillo as a future star, there's not a good fit. Yoan Moncada has a disappointing 576 ops in the low minors (roughly 100 abs) so far but they wont trade him this quickly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
Passan just wrote about this yesterday.

They're not going to make wholesale changes, and certainly dont want to dump Ramirez and Sandoval for pennies on the dollar.

Betts and Bogaerts are close to untouchable, along with Rodriguez and Swihart.

The pitcher they value the most for the moment is Brian Johnson.

Unless the White Sox view Rusney Castillo as a future star, there's not a good fit. Yoan Moncada has a disappointing 576 ops in the low minors (roughly 100 abs) so far but they wont trade him this quickly.

Do you have a link to the article? Would like to read his take on it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

Edit: add the Dodgers to that list as well. Last winter there were reports about the Dodgers saying no to trading top prospects like Joc Pederson etc.

interesting, i am seeing Hou bringing up players and see if they stick like gallo. now they brought up another pitcher. position that they need to address.

i see that with bos, but tor.... they are hose. all they have are pitchers.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
for eaton, i think that it is that 2yr jinx that always reels its ugly head.

It's the defense I'm much more worried about. It's really the horrendous April that's making his offensive numbers look bad. He hasn't been great in May or June necessarily but an OPS of .727 and .750 are a lot closer to what he was last year. However, it doesn't matter if his offense rebounds if his defense continues to be horrible.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
It's the defense I'm much more worried about. It's really the horrendous April that's making his offensive numbers look bad. He hasn't been great in May or June necessarily but an OPS of .727 and .750 are a lot closer to what he was last year. However, it doesn't matter if his offense rebounds if his defense continues to be horrible.

well i can deal with the lack of defense, if he brings up his avg.

A reasonable comp with Samardzija is Garza 2 years ago.

The Cubs received:

Olt - top 50 prospect, but in serious decline

Grimm - a 5th starter type

Edwards - close to top 100 pitcher, but a bullpen guy

Ramirez - another promising young pitcher

At the time, the Cubs fans claimed it to be some massive haul, although it never looked like it to me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Appel, Phillips and Nottingham for Samardzija. Would the Astros do it?

How about JD Davis, Nottingham, and AJ Reed for Shark. I was just looking at their prospects. Moran and Stassi have been bad. Jeez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
Knowing the White Sox, a package will contain some combination of 3 things: 3B, C, and SP.

For sure. Their top guys are Max Stassi © and Colin Moran (3B). They are both putting up .OPS around .600 though. Moran was a former top 5 pick and Stassi was highly regarded but they've been pretty bad.

"The Astros, Rosenthal says, are eyeing Samardzija and other pitchers, but the White Sox are not yet ready to sell"

I really hope this is posturing, because there is no way in hell they have a shot at the postseason. If I am putting together a package with them, Im trying to nab 2 of Phillips, Reed, and Fisher or seeing if they would move Santana.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Appel, Phillips and Nottingham for Samardzija. Would the Astros do it?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
No, we're not going to get that much.

Am I missing something or does Appel look like a bust? I'd think they'd trade him ahead of McCullers and Velazquez at least.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Am I missing something or does Appel look like a bust? I'd think they'd trade him ahead of McCullers and Velazquez at least.

Yeah, Appel's value is down. I just don't think half a year of the version of Samardzija that looks like a 3-4 starter is worth much at all.

But, with Cueto now maybe looking injured and the Kazmir now maybe looking less available, who knows?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Yeah, Appel's value is down. I just don't think half a year of the version of Samardzija that looks like a 3-4 starter is worth much at all.

But, with Cueto now maybe looking injured and the Kazmir now maybe looking less available, who knows?

I agree. I would trade Shark for Appel immediately before Houston changed their minds. If they want Shark to come back, the Sox will have the same shot as they do now.

I'd trade Shark for Appel if they can't go on a sweet run and to .500 and a few games out by the deadline.

If they decide they want to try and sign Jeff in the offseason, they can. Hell they can discuss it right now like Hammel certainly did with the Cubs.